PDA

View Full Version : a little help

A4Mike
06-07-2007, 05:40 PM
My 99.5 1.8tqm has been acting up in the heat lately. I have noticed that when I press the gas pedal slowly I can hear a relay under the dash click once when barely pressed and once again when the rpms reach a higher level. You can actually feel something changing when accelerating. And today for the first time I heard a screech from the engine compartment twice after that relay clicked. I believe that the relay has something to do with the A/C and the screech sounded like it came from the compressor. What is going on here, is it a bad relay or a compressor/clutch about to die? Another symptom is that when I let off the gas at anytime with the a/c on the rpms drop about 200 rpms below normal idle causing a stumble and then return to normal. If I turn off the a/c everything is fine. Also How do you get the black trim piece above the pedals off so that I can access the relays? Sorry for the long post just wanted to describe symptoms.
TIA

A4Mike
06-08-2007, 04:59 AM
any ideas

kjgarreau
06-08-2007, 08:43 AM
If you want to pull the knee bolster off, there are 3 bolts holding it in place. Remove the fuse box cover on the driver's side, look for the retaining bolt (10mm I believe) - next on the knee bolster, there are two bolts hidden by little plastic covers. flat-headed screwdriver to peel those covers off, then unbolt.

Watch out for the ECU cable as you pull the knee bolster down. Unclip it and unplug the little lamp. Voila.

A4Mike
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
If you want to pull the knee bolster off, there are 3 bolts holding it in place. Remove the fuse box cover on the driver's side, look for the retaining bolt (10mm I believe) - next on the knee bolster, there are two bolts hidden by little plastic covers. flat-headed screwdriver to peel those covers off, then unbolt.

Watch out for the ECU cable as you pull the knee bolster down. Unclip it and unplug the little lamp. Voila.

thanks I'll start with the relay and see what I find.