PDA

View Full Version : Steering/suspension issues

dave80jc
06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
I have a 2001 A4 TQM. The car right now has around 136,000 miles (I drive a LOT of highway miles) and my front suspension has been making noise for quite some time. This is most noticeable when I drive over this one particular road near my house which is a surface of bricks so there are a lot of inconsistencies in the height of the surface.

Anyway, I am about to order a Febi front control arm kit from PAP parts, but last night I was driving and it almost seemed like I heard this pop noise. Now the steering feels really loose/unstable especially at highway speeds and I am getting vibration in the front end (vibration was there before just not as bad). I drove to work this morning and didn't really feel comfortable going over 60 mph.

I have replaced the outer tie rod ends already with Meyle pieces, but I didn't replace the inners. Also, the power steering pump has been whining for a few weeks (there is fluid in the reservoir though) and I just haven't had time to get a new one.

Could a lot of my problems just be that the control arms need to be replaced, or are there other issues that I might need to address? I am ordering the control arm kit today and setting aside this weekend to fix any problems that need fixed and I'd like to fix everything at once if possible.

Thanks for any help/advice.

jeremy@matrix
06-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I have a 2001 A4 TQM. The car right now has around 136,000 miles (I drive a LOT of highway miles) and my front suspension has been making noise for quite some time. This is most noticeable when I drive over this one particular road near my house which is a surface of bricks so there are a lot of inconsistencies in the height of the surface.

Anyway, I am about to order a Febi front control arm kit from PAP parts, but last night I was driving and it almost seemed like I heard this pop noise. Now the steering feels really loose/unstable especially at highway speeds and I am getting vibration in the front end (vibration was there before just not as bad). I drove to work this morning and didn't really feel comfortable going over 60 mph.

I have replaced the outer tie rod ends already with Meyle pieces, but I didn't replace the inners. Also, the power steering pump has been whining for a few weeks (there is fluid in the reservoir though) and I just haven't had time to get a new one.

Could a lot of my problems just be that the control arms need to be replaced, or are there other issues that I might need to address? I am ordering the control arm kit today and setting aside this weekend to fix any problems that need fixed and I'd like to fix everything at once if possible.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Sounds like it's time for some maintenance love Dave.

Typically we only see the outer tie rod ends' boots split. When doing those, we have seen the inner tie rod ends be bound up which means that an entire tie rod end assembly is needed (inner and outer). Remember to get the heavy duty units (we have them if you need).

Control arms....very common for the 4 upper arms (2 on each side as you probably know) to have torn boots and therefore get "loose" over time.
We have also seen the lower control arms fail as well at times...so check those on your car now.

If you're getting a steering wheel wobble, don't overlook the lugs for the wheels. Make sure they're tight.

As far as the PS leak, we've seen the OEM clamps on the PS lines stop clamping over time and then PS fluid leaks by. Take a look and maybe replace those clamps. Of course always use factory Pentosin CHF 11S PS fluid (red top green can).

Let us know if we can help at all.