PDA

View Full Version : ecu question help quick!

germancarmaniac
06-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I am thinking about buying a ko4 and ecu today. The problem is that my car has a 8d0-907-557p in it and the other ecu has a 8d0-907-558-m. The difference in the cars is that one is a 99.5 quattro manual and the other is a 98 quattro auto. I work at a dealership and was wondering if I can even use this ecu or do I need to reprogram it. And if i reprogram it will it mess with the chip. Please help me out, Im kinda lost on this subject. Also, if I have to reprogram it, does anyone know how to do that? thanks

Starting
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Hey man I missed type the pm. We both have manuals. The ecu is just a plug and play.

Jeff
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I am thinking about buying a ko4 and ecu today. The problem is that my car has a 8d0-907-557p in it and the other ecu has a 8d0-907-558-m. The difference in the cars is that one is a 99.5 quattro manual and the other is a 98 quattro auto. I work at a dealership and was wondering if I can even use this ecu or do I need to reprogram it. And if i reprogram it will it mess with the chip. Please help me out, Im kinda lost on this subject. Also, if I have to reprogram it, does anyone know how to do that? thanks

If they are both off the same MY, I know they will work for sure. I swapped the ECU on my GF's car (which is TIP) using the ECU off my manual. She had the Q box from the factory, while my ECU was a P. What I had to do was recode the ECU so that it will communicate with the TCU. The recode was to code a manual ECU to TIP was "07221" I believe.

Now I'm not sure if a 99.5 and 98 is compatible, but they are both AEB/nDBW, so there's no reason why not. I would try plugging the ECU in to see if the car starts. If it does, go in with the VAG-COM and recode from Auto/Manual accordingly.

hoganalley
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey! Did the recode work for you? I have the same problem with mine....557P from a 98, going into my 99.5. I recoded the ECU to a manual tranny, but I can't get VAG to do a throttle body alignment....says ERROR only. Any thoughts?

aytheory
08-09-2007, 10:57 AM
recoding has always worked for me - I have switched around with 4 ecu - as long as it is AEB-ndbw that is all that matters. So all ecu from 96 to 99.5 are interchangeable.

To do a throttle body alignment don't have to use vag - just turn the key to the on position without starting - and just let it sit there for a while - it will do it on its own.

Double check your codes for recoding - i have them in my car but do more searches you are typing in the right code

hoganalley
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I've tried the TBA by letting the car sit there, but nothing happens. When I do it with a VAG, it gives me an error. When I plug in my stock ECU, it does a TBA automatically and if I look on VAG, it also says a TBA is being done. Because my stock ECU works, and the K04 ECU doesn't, I'm curious if GIAC wrote something where that can't be changed...or is the ECU fried? Car starts, but runs REALLY rough, 500rpm idle, and it jumps when I try to drive it. The code I found for my car was 16201, I believe, and the auto tranny code is 16251.

jlien08
08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Those are the tranny codes I was working with too. ECU from a 99.5 (manual, but exact same ECU model number) and my car is a 98.5 tip. The car would run, but would not recode no matter how many attempts I made.