PDA

View Full Version : Cam seals on 12V V6

mtroxel
06-04-2007, 08:00 AM
I have a leaking water pump and lots of oil leaks down the front of my V6 12V. I need to do a timing belt/water pump/thermostat and do the cam seals and front main seal while I'm in there. I want to do it myself but am traveling so much this summer it may not be practical.

The dealer wants about $600 for the timing belt/pump/stat job. Not bad. But then they said it was about another $1,000 to do the cam shaft seals. They said you have to take out the cam shafts to do those seals as the seals insert from inside the the head.

Are they thinking of the wrong engine? Every DIY I've seen, and my Bentley, all say it can be done from the outside with the cam shaft in place. I even saw one DIY over at AudiWorld there the guy drilled into the can seals, screwed in some screws and pulled it out by the screws (no way would I risk that one).

Someone here has done that job on the 12V. Was the guy at the dealer's service desk just thinking about the 20V V6?

AudiA4_20T
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
hmmm I heard that also, the dealership is BS but $600 for the TB is an awesome deal

97audia4
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
yea i had my tb and wp and tensioners all done for that,, and my thermostat done on my car, 900$