PDA

View Full Version : Overheating...

EuroA4
06-03-2007, 06:43 AM
So I was on driving pretty hard on the way home Friday night, and it was hot...like 97 out...and I had the AC on...everything seemed fine except oil temps reaching up close to 240. Well I ended up parking the car with the turbo timer on for about 7 min and when I came out of the store...my coolant was spewing all over the street...it had boiled over inside the reservoir. Obviously I didn't cool the car off well enough, and I assume the additional running of the tt pushed temps too high. The extreme pressure caused a leak in the reservoir (only 3 months old)...so I had to buy a new one. All is well now, I'm just afraid to use the TT again.

I guess my question is this...due to my FMIC could the radiator be getting somewhat blocked from air and run hotter than usual? I assume the hot day, hard driving, and high oil temps were the perfect storm to create this situation....so I'll just need to take it easy and do a better cool down before stopping.

crono35
06-03-2007, 09:23 AM
So I was on driving pretty hard on the way home Friday night, and it was hot...like 97 out...and I had the AC on...everything seemed fine except oil temps reaching up close to 240. Well I ended up parking the car with the turbo timer on for about 7 min and when I came out of the store...my coolant was spewing all over the street...it had boiled over inside the reservoir. Obviously I didn't cool the car off well enough, and I assume the additional running of the tt pushed temps too high. The extreme pressure caused a leak in the reservoir (only 3 months old)...so I had to buy a new one. All is well now, I'm just afraid to use the TT again.

I guess my question is this...due to my FMIC could the radiator be getting somewhat blocked from air and run hotter than usual? I assume the hot day, hard driving, and high oil temps were the perfect storm to create this situation....so I'll just need to take it easy and do a better cool down before stopping.

Yes, an FMIC would block airflow to the radiator... not sure if it would cause the car to overheat at 97 degrees though. Doesn't our reservoir have some kind of overflow valve on it? I never looked but I thought all cooling systems did...

deux321
06-03-2007, 12:00 PM
for your coolant, should be the car temp gauge not the oil temp gauge!

i don't think that a TT would have anything to due with your temp rising like that.

i'm in kinda the same boat, except that my car is not overheating, but my oil temp gauge rises and falls all the time. it's really the sensor on the oil cooler. need to change that. somtimes ill hit like 300 on that gauge, but my coolant is fine.

EuroA4
06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
The coolant reservoir does have an overflow..and it was running out the overflow...and the pressure seemed to have also created a leak on the bottom.

The coolant temps never went up at least up to the point when I parked and used the TT. I just mentioned the oil temp as a general info.

Could the high oil temps cause the coolant to heat up...especially since the radiator is getting blocked by the FMIC....but only causing an issue when the air flow stops...ie. when the car is parked and the TT starts up?

Matt@JHM
06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
That sounds like you may have a faulty/bad thermastat.