PDA

View Full Version : Need help with brakes

suju82
06-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi there. I'm new to audizine and also a new audi owner. I've had my 1999.5 a4 for about four months now. it has a k04 plus chip with a downpipe back 2.5 inch exhaust with a drop in k&n and using the audi tt dv. i'm at about 148,000km now and my passenger rear caliper was leaking and the rotors and pads needed to be changed anyways so i replaced both rear caliper, rotors, and pads today. i had some friends who were suppose to come help me bleed the brakes today but they bailed and i had to get my sister to pump the brakes for me. i read the write up on audiworld on how to bleed the brakes everything is on good except the brake feels really loose and my hand brake use to pull about eight clicks and now it pulls about sixteen clicks. I know i didn't bleed the brakes properly so wondering if anyone can help me. should the master cylinder me open or close?(i had it filled a bit past the max line) i'm using a vinly tube on the bleeder so i can see bubbles coming out(when i bleed with my sister pumping the brakes i only got a little bit of bubble not much). i had the other end of the tube below the fluid level inside the brake fluid bottle.
how many times should you pump the brake brefore it feels stiff enough to open the bleeder valve?
should the helper keep pushing the pedal down (not pump but follow through once it's stiff) when i release the bleeder valve?
Thank you all in advance.[:)]

suju82
06-02-2007, 04:26 PM
help please........

onemoremile
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel139.shtml

suju82
06-02-2007, 07:38 PM
That is what i was going by today and it didn't help much.[:(] And i don't think you're suppose to pump the brakes with the bleeder valve open.

Davect06607
06-03-2007, 05:35 AM
The person in the car should pump the brakes till it is nice and hard and hold it, while you slowly unscrew the bleeder screw. The brake peddle will fall to the floor, with the peddle on the floor, tighten the bleeder screw. Repeat a few times.
Check the brake fluid res. to make sure it always has fluid while doing this. You can leave the cap off during all this.

Hopefully this helps

suju82
06-03-2007, 10:11 AM
ok so the brakes are working now but the hand brake is quiet loose. it use to be about eight clicks and now it's more like sixteen. before i use the have the center elbow rest lower than the flat level and the hand brake wouldn't touch it and now it touches it even with it at flat level. any suggestions?

suju82
06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
i went to canadian tire and they said that my brakes are good but the hand brake takes a few days to adjust. is this true? also they recommended if it doesn't adjust then i should take out the center hand brake cover and adjust the hand brake cable from inside. Anyone know of a link which shows how to take out the center console? thank you.

suju82
06-04-2007, 05:42 AM
anyone?

mitchisword
06-04-2007, 08:15 AM
while we're on the topic of b5 brakes, does anyone know how easy it is to install b5 s4 brakes to a b5 a4? I have the s4 brakes and I would like to put them on my a4 but I keep hearing that they wont fit.

any suggestions?

Wholsea
06-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Don't know if the carriers will even bolt to the wheel bearing housing, but I don't know that your master cylendar can handle the dual piston caliper...

Should have either gotten TT carriers and A8 Rotors, or a big brake upgrade from some place like ECS Tuning where the kit comes with everything you need...

iin10ded
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
the ebrake needs adjusting, you should see adjuster nuts either under the car or under the console. most likely when you replaced the rear caliper, pads + bled it went out of adjustment.

it definitely won't take days to adjust, maybe an hour or 2 including finding the adjuster. make freinds with someone with a bentley.