PDA

View Full Version : Raced a BMW 320I....

bellofello
06-01-2007, 03:13 PM
So me and my friend are driving from the city out to where we live up north, about a 2 hour drive on the highway. He drives a white 2004 BMW 320i with a 5-spd. Fully stock.

Starting from 80km/h (about 50mph) in second gear right up to 210km/h (120ish mph) Right off the start I pull about a car length untill about the top of third, then we were pretty much even at a car length right up to my limiter.

Raced from a stand still later on, took him on the launch and never looked back.

Then we switched and I took him off the line because he doesn't know how to drive an AWD car.

Overall I'm pretty damn happy knowing that my car's marginally faster stock for stock.

My "mods" are a cone filter, removed midmuffler, springs/shocks, oh any my oil's WAY overdue for a change.

SeKKeY
06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
never heard of a 320..only know 318ti and then 323i...maybe its a canada thing

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I raced a bmx gave him the biznaz...
Pull up to the light he popped a wheelie off the curbed and he went on his way...
I was like hell yeah my legsus is madd crazy fast yo...

bellofello
06-01-2007, 04:21 PM
never heard of a 320..only know 318ti and then 323i...maybe its a canada thing

I guess lol, because we've sold 2 of the 320i's at my dealership so far.

and to the other comment, was that really needed, I'm happy with my car's first decent kill, sorry I'm not a stage 3 1.8 that can take down much faster cars than you could...

TighTT
06-01-2007, 04:27 PM
sorry I'm not a stage 3 1.8 that can take down much faster cars than you could...

I dont think he's saying his car is fast...or that your car is slow. I think he's saying you're an ass-hat for street racing. [down]

theskuh
06-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Was this the race for the title of world's tallest midget? My god this place has gone to the dumps recently. I am saying ass-hat for both.

1.8TurboAudi
06-01-2007, 05:23 PM
so what if he was speeding/racing. damn u guys sound like bunch of momies

onemoremile
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
320i pays homage to an old school BMW. It is a handling car not a drag queen. Vickie on Top Gear did a nice review on one and loved it. Hit over 1 G several times and topped 1.10.

theskuh
06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Try driving a 1977-78 320i in the rain. That car they can have back. In the dry it was great but that thing would unexpectedly break loose like no ones business. I have never been more scared in a car before or since.

Oh yeah and I like my wife who is a new mommy to stay alive.

onemoremile
06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Try one with good tires. I had a big block trans am (bandit style with a olds rocket 455) and I could drive that in the rain. It had a limited slip rear and big fat tires but they had rain grooves. When they were bald it was a death trap. Tires make all the difference in the world. The 320i was big in SCCA and BMWCCA racing and was raced in the rain plenty of times with great success.

theskuh
06-01-2007, 07:34 PM
No doubt. But for some reason I don't think it was the tires on this car. I can't remember exactly what we had on there but I can't imagine they where crap. We did a full restore/prep for bmwcca on that car. It was years ago though. Maybe the suspension had something to do with it. It had pretty heavy sways. IIRC. I have driven plenty of rwd cars/trucks etc in the rain and haven't had one act like that car.

If you watch some old videos of the BMW junior team that raced the e21 they looped them all the time in the wet. I know that is different with racing but I think something was up. Or we had something really wrong with ours. But I can't imagine if we did have something that off it would align correctly.

You wouldn't expect a car with that little power to weight to break loose a rear like it did. It was a fun car to drive in the dry though. But it was super heavy for a car making 125hp.

juju4uofa
06-01-2007, 10:43 PM
The fact that anyone on a car forum would scold someone for "street racing" is hilarious to me. Although I've auto-xed a good bit I've never raced my audi on a track. I'm sure this holds true for a lot if not the majority of the people on this forum. So, why in the world would we spend this much money on performance parts? There are very few days where I don't at some point drive my car hard whether it's racing someone else or not. I guess I'm just immature lol

juju4uofa
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
BTW, congrats on the kill. The fact that you realize 320s are slow makes it okay for you to post :)

I posted once about beating a Nissan Titan. As you can imagine I didn't get much glorification from the forum lol. But, I know Titans are capable of low 15s stock so I was happy that I was near a 15 flat with just a chip. Oh well, some people just like to hate :)

bellofello
06-02-2007, 01:46 AM
jeez, people get all bent out of shape from me streetracing a buddy on a long highway drive. It's not like we were tearing through city streets or something, it's a huge 2 lane highway that even during the day there isn't much traffic on. Not like I was risking anyones lives by driving fast on a highway with no traffic.

Yeah, onemoremile, once I hopped in the bimmer I could feel that the handling would WAY outdo it's straight line speed, great neutral handling feel to the car. Wicked brakes too.

If everyone who drives quick with another car down a freeway is an ass-hat, then I'm damn sure the majority of car enthusiasts are considered ass-hats then...

Thanks for the other compliments, not the best kill, but I can say my car is faster than a 3 series beamer haha

mikeclark111
06-02-2007, 02:36 AM
damnnn everyone got all crazy with this post......good kill dude[race] ......street racing is dangerous, but so is living these days. keep it safe, and if not, name it after me

theskuh
06-02-2007, 04:01 AM
The fact that anyone on a car forum would scold someone for "street racing" is hilarious to me. Although I've auto-xed a good bit I've never raced my audi on a track. I'm sure this holds true for a lot if not the majority of the people on this forum. So, why in the world would we spend this much money on performance parts? There are very few days where I don't at some point drive my car hard whether it's racing someone else or not. I guess I'm just immature lol

It is kinda funny to build these nice fast cars and not use them. Your right there is always some time and some place (CANADA). Plenty of deserted back roads or canadian highways lol. But you are always taking a chance that some one is out in the road for whatever reason. the unexpected happens. Even if you do a run down and back something could change. I drove stupidly on the road when I was a kid. Never killed anyone. But I could have easily. My cousin flipped his rx7 running a twisty heavily populated road if someone was out walking the dog or mowing the lawn they would be toast. I still do things I regret that later I am like well that could have been bad.

But

When you see two guys go side by side at your mailbox and tear ass down your street that is full of houses with kids. (true story) You think twice about commending someone for street racing. Obviously I could care less if someone goes out to a deserted area (canada lol) and drags. But it doesn't always happen that way. At least where I live. There really are no rules to street racing and that is where it is unpredictable and crap can happen. I love cars and I am all for letting them rip on on ramps and just using your car hard but smartly. You can drive it hard on the road (alone/not racing) and not hurt anyone. It gets a bit complex, unpredictable and unsafe when you add another car, driver and competition to the mix. Someone who is hunting out this stuff on a regular occasion is going to greatly increase their odds of something bad happening to them or others.

So I guess in short. Enjoy your car on the road leave the side by side stuff on the track.

dismounting from my high horse.

I still wouldn't be proud that i beat a 320i. I used to take them down all the time with this

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11214341/HTML_2004_John_Deere_X595_Diesel_4WD_W___62C_Deck. jpg

TighTT
06-02-2007, 07:02 AM
The fact that anyone on a car forum would scold someone for "street racing" is hilarious to me.

Dude...no one is "scolding" anyone. LOL.

Im sure evryone on here has street raced before....even a small 1 gear pull. I think that an unintended "by chance" street race is different that doing multiple races up tp 120mph...then switching cars and doing it again. I really dont care much as I have street raced before...that just seemed a little overkill. But hey....Canada is alot different than NJ!!

Squarrl
06-02-2007, 07:19 AM
320i pays homage to an old school BMW. It is a handling car not a drag queen. Vickie on Top Gear did a nice review on one and loved it. Hit over 1 G several times and topped 1.10.

Different car the Canadian 320i is just the really low model its got the 2.5L inline 5 with out the variable timing.
The euro one that was on fifth gear is way different.

bellofello
06-02-2007, 07:56 AM
thanks theskuh way to knock me down a peg on the kill :(, it's good for a stock 2.8! haha

but yeah I know exactly what your saying, when I do stuff like this I try to minimalize the chances of anything bad happening, but there is always a chance. I keep it to highways that there isn't any houses or anything nearby, drive slower in residential areas, etc...

this highway it's regular for people to do a steady 90mph all the way, we got goin 110ish for a good period of time and didn't see a car.

Rosati
06-02-2007, 08:25 AM
The truth is, We are biased against WHO street races.

If its some NOOB or Audi Ricer, then he's getting flamed. If its a heavily modded 1-8 established guy against a reputable opponent, Then he's getting praised, just as long as he speaks dilligently and proves that there were no threats of danger.

You guys didnt know this by now?

TighTT
06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
TJ:

Rob, where were you on Thursday night?? You missed a really good EdgeH20 session!

Out street racing again??? =P [:D]

Rico750
06-02-2007, 01:18 PM
320 s are very common in europe..they come in gas and diesel version stock 150-170 hp. the turbo diesel versions have a hell of a lot torque!!

eurospeed94
06-02-2007, 01:22 PM
this is hilarious. im pretty confident when i say everyone on here has done some "street racing" in their day so why make a big argument about it and try to make the man feel bad. I love beamers, owned one..not the fastest car or the quickest german hauss to hit the streets but respectable driving feel. Good kill, and remember...any kill, is still a kill. Whether it be the john deer or pimpassholes a4. Give respect where respect is earned. its not like he came on here with a "yo man i was out racin in the streets with my fart can and kicked this d-bags neons ass."

coming from someone who was driving an 04 3 series as a daily off the lot...props man.

pipe7284
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
i jusst got back from Colombia, and the only bmw you see there are 320s, nothing bigger. i didnt know there were 320s until i saw them.

btw i had a kill on a 325? or 328...could really see it when i was getting off the highway ramp. he couldnt catch up.