PDA

View Full Version : i'm GIACked now... need more

cabelooo
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
hey..last week i took my car to get a giac chip and i was talking to the tech and he told me tht a test pipe would make me loose power and that the cat converter on that year/model wasn't so bad and the chip is programed to run with the back pressure from the cat ,,,..and i'm only boosting to 16psi and it drops to 10 psi after 5k.... =/

AudiA4_20T
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
the tech you talked to is a complete idiot, cats suck on turbo cars, and the software is made for the turbo it has nothing to do with the cat

Jereme
05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
haha he knows its a bitch to install and doesnt wanna do it

lol

maxspeed
05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
jereme: to anybody with proper resources, i.e. a lift, the job isnt bad. to tell you the truth its not even terrible to do laying on your back if you have the right extensions

nivek
05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Bros I know this is a noob question and that I should search but I am too lazy but, what is the normal boost psi for a ko3 turbo that is all stock?

speedydragon
05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey Bros I know this is a noob question and that I should search but I am too lazy but, what is the normal boost psi for a ko3 turbo that is all stock?

should be right around 7-8 psi...weak :|

nivek
05-31-2007, 10:07 PM
should be right around 7-8 psi...weak :|

Thanks I can't get my A4 to boost more than 5 psi?

Devious27t
05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
the tech you talked to is a complete idiot, cats suck on turbo cars, and the software is made for the turbo it has nothing to do with the cat

you sure about that?

the software is actually sensitive to whether there is a cat or not. if a chip is tuned to utilize a cat it will overshoot when you install a test pipe. Depending on how far it overshoots the car could cut throttle which does infact mean "power loss" this happens because with a lower amount of back pressure at a preset N75 duty cycle level the car will build boost more quickly.

and FWIW, I have found there is a marginal difference between a test pipe and a "GOOD" high flow cat in terms of power. I found this with both my T28 and my K03 setup.

speedydragon
05-31-2007, 11:21 PM

you might be in "limp" mode...this is when your ecu or w/e senses that you were running at an unsafe boost level, thus putting your car into a limp mode, which is only boosting to 5psi. i think in order to fix this you'd have to unplug your battery for an X amount of minutes. Also if the problem persists, you might have to look further in on some parts that might be having the normal wear and tear.

98a4
05-31-2007, 11:21 PM

Search soft limp or limp mode. Or wastegate actuator.

Militant-Grunt
05-31-2007, 11:41 PM
A test pipe will help you quite a bit. Im boosting 19psi on the GIAC, peaking 20, but it tapers off to 10 after 5500 =/. Need BIGGER!

a4fann
05-31-2007, 11:42 PM
A test pipe will help you quite a bit. Im boosting 19psi on the GIAC, peaking 20, but it tapers off to 10 after 5500 =/. Need BIGGER!
no need to go bigger you have giac...........

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-01-2007, 07:01 AM
what?^^^

mike-2ptzero
06-01-2007, 07:19 AM
no need to go bigger you have giac...........

LOL, yes because the K03 is the BEST turbo ever.[rolleyes]

a4fann
06-01-2007, 07:45 AM
It was a joke peeps.

mike-2ptzero
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
It was a joke peeps.

We know, which is why I laughed. But since we cant see your fact it would help to put a "SMILE face" to your joke.[rolleyes] LOL

cabelooo
06-03-2007, 06:57 AM
i was thinking that a testpipe would help on the high rpm =low power
and with that low power at the end what is the best shiftng point..and how to calculate best shifting point?? thanks for helping out a noob....ur all going to heaven [rolleyes]

AudiA4_20T
06-03-2007, 08:15 AM
you sure about that?

the software is actually sensitive to whether there is a cat or not. if a chip is tuned to utilize a cat it will overshoot when you install a test pipe. Depending on how far it overshoots the car could cut throttle which does infact mean "power loss" this happens because with a lower amount of back pressure at a preset N75 duty cycle level the car will build boost more quickly.

and FWIW, I have found there is a marginal difference between a test pipe and a "GOOD" high flow cat in terms of power. I found this with both my T28 and my K03 setup.

right but there arent 2 specific files for a test pipe and no test pipe, its a chipped file in general. So if he adds the test pipe he doesnt need another file because of it... the ecu will just adapt a little... or am I completely wrong?

mike-2ptzero
06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
i was thinking that a testpipe would help on the high rpm =low power
and with that low power at the end what is the best shiftng point..and how to calculate best shifting point?? thanks for helping out a noob....ur all going to heaven [rolleyes]

The TP will help move the power band up a little higher in the rpms so you could take the rpms up a little higher then with a cat. If you have a vag you can log the maf readings during a run and it can give you an idea of where your max air readings are at so you can shift at that point. Other way to figure out your best shift points is to watch the mph, since you will want to shift when the mph starts to stall. Other then that it is about "feel", when you feel that power drop off shift.

20vpower
06-03-2007, 11:14 AM
jereme: to anybody with proper resources, i.e. a lift, the job isnt bad. to tell you the truth its not even terrible to do laying on your back if you have the right extensions

extensions!! i wish it was that easy, middle of swapping my exhaust out i realized that the 3 cat bolts that hook up to the dp are tact welded in.... gg audi[headbang]

cabelooo
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
thanks mike....
what do u mean tact welded?? and how did u get it of? cut it?

mike-2ptzero
06-03-2007, 07:08 PM
thanks mike....
what do u mean tact welded?? and how did u get it of? cut it?

Either the bolt or nut is tack welded in place, this way all you need to do is remove 1 not both and only need to use 1 tool not 2.

xpl0sive
06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
yeah i found it useful with the nuts being welded onto the cat... but the test pipe i bought didnt come with any other hardware, so i had to cut the old nuts off the cat... pain in the ass