PDA

View Full Version : H&R Springs

Sinister
05-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I was purusing AWE and saw the H&R springs and was just wondering how those are quality wise. Is it a good buy? Does anyone have them? I don't want to go to low, but the wheel gap needs to go. TIA

Tifosi
06-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Considering the age of most of our cars, and the labor involved, you may want to consider changing both shocks and springs. Not to mention that you may be risking blowing the shocks by just changing the springs only. Anyway, coilovers is a great option with Vogtlands/SRGT, Stasis/SS/TS or Eibach Pro-Street S being the most popular. If you do not want coilovers, I would suggest that you look into Koni Yellow/Vogtland Club Spec. combination (www.purems.com) with minimal drop when compared to Eibach or H&R springs and still retain great ride quality. Anyway, do a search on this combo on both AW and AZ, and you will see that it is highly recommended by many.

jeremy@matrix
06-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Agreed on most...

H&R springs (or any lowering springs) on stock dampers is going to deliver a crappy ride compared to aftermarket dampers/lowering springs.

But then for that price, you might as well spend an extra few hundred and get coilovers which will allow for ride height adjustability as well as rebound adjustment.

LMK if you have any questions.

Sinister
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm all for ride quality, but for the price of coilovers I could be at Stage 2. I like show, but go is more important and I need some go mods. Coilovers will have to wait.

jeremy@matrix
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm all for ride quality, but for the price of coilovers I could be at Stage 2. I like show, but go is more important and I need some go mods. Coilovers will have to wait.

Understood. But, "power is nothing without control." [;)]

toaster
06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
for the record, i just bought a rs4 sway bar to put on my stock non-sport a4.

the difference is ASTOUNDING.

i can drive about 20-30 mph faster than normal and it's completely effortless.
upgrading your suspension allows you to drive much faster than you normally would because the car can handle being tossed around.

update the suspension first, THEN upgrade your speediness...otherwise you'll wrap yourself around a tree.

Sinister
06-02-2007, 03:58 AM
I've had a car with 320hp before so I know I can handle the power without killing myself, and I know power is nothing without control, but I almost want to get to Stage 2+ then get the works for suspension. C/O staw bar, the usual

Famou$ Nick
07-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Neuspeed race on Audi A4 sport package! :(
I buy these use and regret... Bilstein/H&R Tomorrow!!!

http://img130.imagevenue.com/loc160/th_02588_Audi-Drrrop6_122_160lo.jpg (http://img130.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=02588_Audi-Drrrop6_122_160lo.jpg)

ParkerF1 B7S4
08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
H&R springs are rated for OEM shocks per application. I bought a set and they were much better than any other spring upgrade out there. I have since upgraded to PSS9s for the track, since I need adjustability. I otherwise would have stuck with the springs.

I have a set for a B7S4 in case anyone is interested. It's new, was for a cousin of mine who decided to leave his stock. I sold my used set to another friend for a project car.

Das General
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't upgrade the springs without doing the shocks. The H&R's offer a substantial drop and that is going to mangle your OEM springs to the point of blowing out. Then you would be spending x2 the cash on labor. Do it right the first time.

BTW the H&R combo isn't bad, it is a good drop. However if you plan on doing any serious tracking I would advise you to save for some C/O's.

I have the H&R/Bilsteins from AWE and my car is loowwww.

socaljoe
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm running H&R sport springs and Koni sport shocks. It dropped my non-sport susp. A4 about 1.5". The handling has really improved, very responsive and still has that comfy ride feel, not too stiff...

Dompiece
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm running H&R sport springs and Koni sport shocks. It dropped my non-sport susp. A4 about 1.5". The handling has really improved, very responsive and still has that comfy ride feel, not too stiff...

i'm about to have that same set-up. what do you have your shocks set at? thx

bigmac78
01-17-2008, 04:00 PM
I dont drive my B7 S4 every day and I am putting HR sport springs and the front and rear RS4 sway bars. I know there will be more pressure on the shocks but I aint got $1700 for some freakin COs. I dont track the car, unless the cleaners is about to close and then its go time!

Turnfast77
01-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree,

Whenever I mod a car the first priority are the brakes then suspension and then engine. It does you no good to have 500 hp and not be able to stop or get the proper rotation thru a corner. If you are on a budget and not going to the track every weekend lowering springs and new dampers are the way to go. I see no advantage of having adjustable coilovers on a street car. You will not be going out and adjusting your ride height continously on a street car. Just keep in mind that you can custom order springs rates from just about all the major spring companies. I like 450/300 on the street and 750/625 on the track.

Just a my thoughts.

Gigi
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
H&R springs are pretty aggressive and lower the car more compared to the Eibach's. They will ruin your shocks ad your ride will also suffer. You'll experience bouncing in an annoying way and might bottom out in some areas b/c of it.
I did springs only (H&R) and although I loved the look after the drop, I was disappointed in the ride. I then spent more $ to get shocks installed. I ahve the Koni Yellow adj shocks. On my ride set to softest with the H&R springs they are harsh! but handling is top notch.
If you want a good but not excessive drop while retianinng a comfy ride, I would get Koni FSD and Eibachs if they make them for your ride.
Koni yellow and Eibach shocks will ride better thna my Koni yellow and H&R. drove both setups.

jeremy@matrix
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I agree,

Whenever I mod a car the first priority are the brakes then suspension and then engine. It does you no good to have 500 hp and not be able to stop or get the proper rotation thru a corner. If you are on a budget and not going to the track every weekend lowering springs and new dampers are the way to go. I see no advantage of having adjustable coilovers on a street car. You will not be going out and adjusting your ride height continously on a street car. Just keep in mind that you can custom order springs rates from just about all the major spring companies. I like 450/300 on the street and 750/625 on the track.

Just a my thoughts.

Agreed.

The advantage of having height-adjustable street coilovers is that is allows the flexibility to be able to set the ride height to whatever you want. True, you may not be adjusting ride height every month, but with springs/dampers, the ride height is static. Once those items are on, you're stuck with whatever ride height they put you at. If the front end is too high for your tastes, you're stuck. With coilovers, you could raise or lower the front (and/or back) to tire/fender gap you want. The extra few hundred dollars for this flexibility is very important to many.

Just my $0.02.

Davect06607
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
S4 H&R race springs on S4 struts

It kinda stiff, speed bumps suck.
But not bad for only $200.
Springs were brand new, and struts had 30k.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/Davect06607/DSC00213.jpg?t=1202430050
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/Davect06607/DSC00211.jpg?t=1202430398

audiflyer
02-21-2008, 05:58 PM
looking into getting H&R race springs, did the car align alright? someone said to me
I would need camber plates for the front, also do you think bilstein sports shocks can
handle those springs?

SGVA4
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
H&R springs are rated for OEM shocks per application. I bought a set and they were much better than any other spring upgrade out there. I have since upgraded to PSS9s for the track, since I need adjustability. I otherwise would have stuck with the springs.

I have a set for a B7S4 in case anyone is interested. It's new, was for a cousin of mine who decided to leave his stock. I sold my used set to another friend for a project car.

what i dont understand is that H&R srpings are rate for OEM shocks but they are lower than Eibach??? please clarify

jeremy@matrix
03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
looking into getting H&R race springs, did the car align alright? someone said to me
I would need camber plates for the front, also do you think bilstein sports shocks can
handle those springs?

You're not going to find camber plates for a B5/B6/B7...adj control arms maybe but they'll be noisy. [:(]