PDA

View Full Version : what are my chances of passing smog in cali.

Ado
05-29-2007, 10:00 PM
ok so i'm going to be leaving for europe and i think my car is due for smog this year with in a month or so. i just want to get it over soon as poseble and my dad is on my ass about it also[headbang] . what are my chances of passing smog cuz i dont really want to take out my TP and the intake crap. note i'm fwd so they will put the car on the dyno.
mods are intake, giac chip, 007dv, ecode TP, and exhaust.

what do u think.

maxspeed
05-29-2007, 10:03 PM
you will not pass. theres no way in hell youll pass the visual with the TP, and you certainly wont pass smog emissions

Ado
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
shit. this means that i have to pull out the TP.

deux321
05-29-2007, 10:24 PM
if the mech is a retard and doesn't know what the cat looks like in your car you might pass.

if you had a QUATTRO. i think smog spots can't DYNO an all wheel drive car. i do believe that most smog dyno's are for FWD and RWD.

i may be wrong about that.

but yeah you probably need to take out the TP!

Ado
05-29-2007, 10:26 PM
i hope its some retard that dose it. lol.

victorvu
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
for sure no god damn car will pass smog with a TP unless its Diesel because they dont need smog

Calabria
05-29-2007, 10:43 PM
go find a smog guy who is cool enough to pass. my friends dad is a mechanic and would pass me for smog if i needed him to.
i remember reading a story here or some audi site about a guy in Ohio who had a TP and he said that was the cat and they passed him...

Ado
05-29-2007, 10:47 PM
yea i also remember a guy that passed with a tp also. i'll try it.

victorvu
05-29-2007, 10:49 PM
you know what you should've done? wrap the test pipe with a head shield makes it look stealthy.

deux321
05-29-2007, 10:49 PM
you can always try and BRIBE them!

Ado
05-29-2007, 10:52 PM
you can always try and BRIBE them!

humm now ure giving me ideas. i might just do that then. fuck it.

creechsa4
05-30-2007, 12:32 AM
they won't even start on your car, visual inspection will fail. cali is one of the toughest smog tests in the nation. i should i know, i'm a cali guy too.

fred2ka4
05-30-2007, 12:57 AM
You might want to try a test only station as they might not look at all the details. I had a Honda civic with a ZC DOHC engine swap from Japan and made the mistake of going to a shop where all the techs had Honda's ......... He popped the hood and took one look and said that engine does not belong in that car, I can't smog it.

I took the car to a test only station in Rodeo Ca, and the tech (older white guy) said "nice engine" and it passed. But on a side note my car did run clean, and I took the extra time to do a clean install, so you don't want to try this unless you know for a fact that your car will pass out the pipe.

[up]

iin10ded
05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
From my experience in 8 years of smogging cars in CA they're usually pretty strict. I imagine the fines for them passing something not passable are huge, and since cops here check and issue tickets for modifications [which i still can't believe but have heard 1st hand reports] the chance of them getting caught is high.

i'd cut up a blown stock cat and maybe try to get your test pipe as cat-looking as possible. i would bet that even a HFC would be a crap shoot since it's not stock looking.

the last go-round the guy flunked me for my adjustable FPR and visible crimp connectors for the 02 connection. "not stock" he said.

dsswain
05-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Do it right the first time, take the test pipe out. If you go and fail it's in the system and all that other crap (re-test, etc.). It doesn't sound like you have time to deal with that. Even if you get past the visual, I doubt you'd pass on the dyno.

Sell the TP, and buy toluene with the extra $. You will be faster, than being on straight 91 w/ Test Pipe. And you get your emissions and it's legal.

azndrunk74
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Even if you pass the visual, you will not pass the sniffer test. The emissions output at idle was way above the legal limit. I've tried and failed, and I ended up putting the cat back on.

AudiRacerS4
05-30-2007, 04:01 PM
you will definetly not pass once they put yor car on the dyno there is no way in hell

fred2ka4
05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Even if you pass the visual, you will not pass the sniffer test. The emissions output at idle was way above the legal limit. I've tried and failed, and I ended up putting the cat back on.

Now I don't know about that one because I passed and I have an APR HFC stage III upgrade injectors, fmic, intake and APR programing and the car passed with flying colors. As a matter of fact I even got a letter thanking me for keeping such a clean burning vehicle.

Is there that much of a difference between a dyno load test and just a 2000rpm sniffer test?

Ado
05-30-2007, 05:34 PM
fred i dont know how u did that. lucky you

ok so i when to a local shop and just had them only test to see if its goin to pass and i failed big time. lol. he never looked under the hood. i even have a intake with a black test pipe. but i will go back to the same shop since they never looked under the hood.

TunaRollZ
06-01-2007, 04:04 PM
The cat is the one single component cleaning up your exhaust stream. That's its only purpose in life. Without it, all gasoline engine cars will fail the sniffer (within the government's required specs). You cannot *legally* pass modern sniffer tests (especially california's bs smog tests) without a working cat. It's really that simple.

azndrunk74
06-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Now I don't know about that one because I passed and I have an APR HFC stage III upgrade injectors, fmic, intake and APR programing and the car passed with flying colors. As a matter of fact I even got a letter thanking me for keeping such a clean burning vehicle.

Is there that much of a difference between a dyno load test and just a 2000rpm sniffer test?

Well the key difference with your setup was that you actually still had a cat, be it a high flow cat. I had the ATP 3" testpipe, it passed the load test but not the 2000rpm sniffer test.

chimchongdlight
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey guys im going to b smogging soon too i have a 1.8t with a drop in filter and a fmic. U think ill pass? Or does anyone know where i can go in the sacramento area thats cool?

deephouse
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Correct, that's pretty much the deal breaker right there.

Allthough, when i had trouble passing smog w/ my UrS4, the smog guy had me hold the sniffer in the exhaust pipe while he rev'd the car.... and he showed me how to hold it slightly outside of the tip, and instructed me when to remove it

=) no joke.