PDA

View Full Version : getting out of mail-in speeding tickets

loustylez
05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
i've tried searching but i can't find it. somebody posted a link a while ago about getting out of speeding tickets where you have to (get to) mail them in. something about prologing the dates long enough, then setting a court date, etc. anybody know that thread or have that link? this is specific to states that allow you to mail them in.

loustylez
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
nevermind, delete this post.

GTO
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
The only thing i remember something about this was, one member stated that if you pay 5 dollars over your ticket amount, the state will issue you a refund check. If you don't deposit the check then the case is still thought of as open and they won't apply charges. As to if that works, I doubt it, the one problem i can see pretty apparently is if you want to change auto insurance if you have some open cases or unclosed, the insurer will generally want a ruling or some court docs. that show the status of the case, failure to deposit a returned amount portion isn't a good enough excuse.

Wilco
05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
All you can really do is delay the court date as long as possible. Check the court date on your ticket, and just call in to the courthouse to reschedule (say you're out of the state on personal business, or something similar). Then do it again when you near the new court date. Repeat until you can't anymore. At this point you show up to court having increased your odds the officer won't remember your specific incident (and may not even show up).

Rico750
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
The only thing i remember something about this was, one member stated that if you pay 5 dollars over your ticket amount, the state will issue you a refund check. If you don't deposit the check then the case is still thought of as open and they won't apply charges. As to if that works, I doubt it, the one problem i can see pretty apparently is if you want to change auto insurance if you have some open cases or unclosed, the insurer will generally want a ruling or some court docs. that show the status of the case, failure to deposit a returned amount portion isn't a good enough excuse.

sounds more like a one time mistake to me.. ..

20vpower
05-29-2007, 03:37 PM
i got a pic taken of my plates when i accidentally went in the fastrak lane over the bay bridge, but that was like 6 months ago and still havent gotten it

Xenogen
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't know about cops not showing up at court anymore...I've tried that tens of times and they just reschedule according the days the cop has to be in court. If you do go to court...question the accuracy of the gun (radar or lidar) and have them show you the calibration certificate...if it hasn't been calibrated within the last 6 months from when you got your ticket...tell the judge that the cops equipment wasn't calibrated correctly. If its within the 6 months find out how they calibrated the gun before using it ie...tuning fork or speedometer...question the accuracy on that and have them show you the calibration certificate for those...like the gun...if it hasn't been calibrated within 6 months...tell the judge. Lastly...theres this thing called a tracking history that they have to perform

There are three major components to a tracking history:

1. Visual Observation
2. Audio Confirmation
3. Speed Confirmation

In (1), we have four components:

1. Identify the target
2. Visually estimate the speed of the vehicle
3. Visually estimate the range of the vehicle (and over what distance the vehicle was observed)
4. Check the environment (for possible interference or other unintentional target acquisitions)

Numbers 1 and 2 are the most important, since the radar gun doesn't determine you were speeding--the cop does. The radar just confirms and quantifies it.

In part (2) we have two components:

1. Check the audible pitch (higher pitch = higher speed)
2. Check clarity (solid tone means one target and only one target--warbles or breaks indicate interference)

In part (3) we have two parts:

1. Steady readout (on display) -- not jumping speeds
2. Readout consistent with visual observation (#2 in part 1).

The cop should be able to at least articulate what a tracking history is and why it is needed.

orangedawg
05-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Xeno, some good advice but just a few comments:

Regarding the certification of the radar (AKA speed measuring device aka SMD), it depends on your jurisdiction as to the amount of time needed to certify it. It appears that your jurisdiction requires 6 months. Where I am (WA state), the State Patrol does it every two years. So, it just depends on where you are and the procedures they use whether or not it's out of certification.

The rest of the info you have is very good.

As for continuing it, they usually just continue it to a time when the officer is present. If the officer can't make it, usually the court continues again until they are available. Courts (depending on your jurisdiction) look at a speeding ticket (and other infractions) and when setting hearing dates try to be "fair and just". Meaning that if you ask to continue, they grant it, but if the officer can't appear then the court will continue so that the officer can be present, as that it "fair and just" and that you would somehow have to show that you were prejudiced in a legal way by the continuance granted to the officer (which is very hard to do usually since you originally asked for the continuance).

Regarding the "send $5 more than the ticket", I think that is perhaps an urban legend or myth. Most jurisdictions look at a paid citation/infraction as proof the infraction occured and an admission on your part. The fact that you didn't cash your check just screws up the accounting of the court, but doesn't effect whether or not the infraction was committed. I may be wrong, but that method sure doesn't sound like it will work.

I may be wrong in all of the above stuff. This was just some guesses by me.

dozentrio
05-30-2007, 10:53 AM
According to Snopes.com overpaying your ticket in the hopes that it won't be finalized in their automated system until you cash their refund check-- well it's a myth. I have tried it [;)] No luck. Although I didn't execute very well... I kind of waited a while before sending them anything. Sttill, I doubt it works.

I know there's a page on the internet about how to fight speeding tickets. I saw it on a bike forum. It's like 20 pages of advice on what to do in different situations and where your best chances are.

brlukosk
05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I tried changing the date as well, and the cop showed up and owned me..

loustylez
05-30-2007, 01:07 PM
well, thanks anyway.

in Kansas City (Missouri) you have to have an attourney to even have the option of paying double and getting it ammended, so that's what i'm going to do. i did that earlier this year already, so this will be the 2nd time. i don't think i'll get another chance for a while. yay for another $300-400 down the tube.

superman_006
05-31-2007, 12:22 AM
<---- I am a Police Officer, and this is pretty funny. I think the 5$ over-payment is the funniest, though your check would still get cashed here, they would probly take the $5 bucks as a tip. As orangedawg said, every where is diffrent. The RADAR and Lazer guns are definatly not rocket sience though, they are very easy to use. If you got painted with the lazer, blaming interferance will not happen, they also have a sight on them simular to rifle sights.

brlukosk
05-31-2007, 07:30 AM
http://www.radardetector.net/

All you need to know about RADAR/LIDAR.. ;)