PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light going haywire. Anyone?

DGS4
05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
While randomly driving, the ABS light comes on while the <e>brake red light flashes and beeps. It just started to do it a few days ago but it went away but today while driving into work, it went off and stayed constantly as when before it just went away after the beeps initially faded.

Anyone have a clue what it may be?

01 A4 2.8L.

BoostFrenzy
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
it needs fixed, the wire is making intermittent contact, sooner than later it wont' touch at all

DGS4
05-29-2007, 09:16 AM
it needs fixed, the wire is making intermittent contact, sooner than later it wont' touch at all

So either fix it or it will fry? I will look at the harness when I get home.

dukez
05-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Mine just stays on now once the car is started. It used to be on and off like yours though. [;)]

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/383lights.jpg

victorvu
05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
it could be your abs module it could've gone bad its known to get bad.

offroader1006
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
dun dun dun duuuuuuuuuun.

ABS module is whack.

you can try contacting boostfrenzy, he used to repair them for pretty cheap, idk if he still does.

p.s. dukez i am rocking the abs, brake airbag light trio too[:D] [up]

0000_a4
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
or may contact modulemaster (http://www.modulemaster.com/audiabsremoval.html).

AHB900
05-29-2007, 06:02 PM
yeh last time i had that happen to me my ABS module was gone and i changed it and i have the same problem agian now so iono ima get that checked i think theres a possiblity that it might even be my brake pads cause the light for those came on too..... so most likely its gonna be ur ABS

4ringAR
05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
hey, welcome to the club. this is happening to a lot of our cars.

i just had my car vag-commed by a guy in my car club on sunday to see if it was throwing any codes.

nothing came up for ABS but one came up for the brakes and the guy that scanned it said that the different wheel speed sensors might be reading differently. i am taking the car to the dealer thursday for a service, so we will see what they say.

Bic-Ball
05-29-2007, 08:43 PM
while this is on the front page, i might as well ask here. does anyone have the link to the passat.ru website that has a diy on fixing it by soldering stuff? i plan on doing it maybe yesterday.

offroader1006
05-30-2007, 05:32 AM
search for my post in an ABS thread, it should bring it up.

ExpLlclT
05-30-2007, 09:44 AM
buy a new ABS module... i just had this happen to me blinks and beeps three times randomly then it stays on everytime, change it out its located on the right side of your engine bay.

bOOOOstedAudi
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
buy a new ABS module... i just had this happen to me blinks and beeps three times randomly then it stays on everytime, change it out its located on the right side of your engine bay.

No way. this is you exact plan right here. Go get it scanned with VAGCOM, not some bs scanner. The vag com will tell you exactly what one needs to be replaced basically. if the light is on and off it will most likely say abs speed sensor (left, right, front rear). I have heard to many times people getting new abs moduals and the light is still on because they failed to realize that they need a amd speed sensor and not the modual.

DGS4
05-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Im going to have it looked at this friday when i bring it to a shop near me that specializes in Audi's and BMW's to get my alignment done. I will ask them nicely to scan it with a vag unless they wont do it then ill bring it to a dealer. (never bought a vag 4 audi's later). Hmm maybe i should get one. LOL

Does mileage matter? The car only has 57k on the clock. o.O

I appreciate the input, hope this helps others too.

bOOOOstedAudi
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Nope Car Is To0 Old

bOOOOstedAudi
05-30-2007, 11:15 AM
also when you find out its an abs sensor. pm me so i can get one for u

tomustang
05-30-2007, 11:39 AM
I also had the beeps, and one of the lights were blinking, I got a rebuilt control module, installed it and the abs light went off. a day later both the lights went back on but no beeps and are consistantly on, never had abs whenever I braked when the lights were off

I installed new rotors/pads all around and dusted off the abs sensors but didn't do anything

The front pads needed wiring but the connectors were different so I had to splice them together, wonder if that would cause a problem?

zzoomz
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Sounds like your ABS module. Try module master they are the best!

GOROSSI46
05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
My car was doing this for a while. I replaced pads/rotors and it still did it. Turned out being a wheel speed sensor that was messing everything up. Had to have the sensor and part of the rear axle replace because the guy couldn't get the sensor out of the housing. Cost me about $600 and the light is finally gone.

mravantit
05-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I second that. Its the Abs module. One thing you can do if you scan it and there is a "no communication" or something along those lines its the ABS module. I searched this topic and found a DIY fix for this, if you have some kind of electronics repair or a confident DIY'er its the way to go. The DIY includes removing the module itself (PITA) and resoldering one of the little connectors. All in all it took 2 hr with numerous smoke brakes. [wrench]

DGS4
06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I have an update. Today went to get my Avant's alignment done and asked my friend to borrow his vagcom. When I scanned the ABS System it came up with one code:

1203 - ABS/instrument cluster electrical connection open circuit/short circuit to Ground (GND)

Anyone?

bOOOOstedAudi
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
well to all that said he need an ams modual, your wrong (i think)

dukez
06-01-2007, 12:53 PM
The cheapest route to check first would be the speed sensors, so id do them first. I've had a tech ask me about the lights when i took my car in to replace my CV boots, i told him that i was aware of the lights and i needed a new ABS module, he disagreed and said it was probably just my speed sensors as well. I havent VAG'ed my car yet, but i know my ABS is out though, i skidded the other day. [:D]

3 bar
06-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Did some research. The ABS module is a quick fix and VERY INEXPENSIVE ($10 ) fix if your not afraid of soldering and DIY repair work. It is very common on B5 A4s and Passats as well as A6's. Im doing it myself this weekend and will follow with a write up. ( Im the guy who has wrote articles on the $15 Ford taurus electric fan conversion and the $10.50 vacuum VW B4 pump door lock repair mod.

aytheory
06-15-2007, 03:06 AM
^^^^ damit wish i didn't pay modulemaster or whatever a couple of years back for 250 for a simple soldering job - my brother is a electrical engineer designer - and he solders like electrical chips all day long

Bic-Ball
06-15-2007, 10:21 AM
i can not stress enough how careful you need to be with the wirese inside. the two you will be soldering are no big deal, however the rest of the wires going to contacts are far thinner than hair, you can barely see them. i managed to acidentally tear one off and spent a good hour trying to solder it back on, it's tough when you're soldering something you cant see.

3 bar
06-27-2007, 07:53 PM
i can not stress enough how careful you need to be with the wirese inside. the two you will be soldering are no big deal, however the rest of the wires going to contacts are far thinner than hair, you can barely see them. i managed to acidentally tear one off and spent a good hour trying to solder it back on, it's tough when you're soldering something you cant see.

I tackled it with foolish pride I ended up tearing 4 of the hair thin wires clearing the goop off of the wires I originally was trying to solder. Also I purchaced a light with a magnifing glass on to and still had trouble soldering it. My advice is to have module masters do it it isnt worth the aggravation.

Bic-Ball
06-28-2007, 06:16 AM
indeed. it's just stupid to pay someone 100 plus dollars to solder 3 wires together.