PDA

View Full Version : ugh... think my CV boots are going...

bellofello
05-24-2007, 06:52 PM
when I back up I hear a clicking/grinding noise coming from the front end.. either a torn CV boot or the joint itself is f-ed...

what's the cost like on those bad boys?

audiness
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
usually they click during turns and stuff

bellofello
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM
it's clicking sometimes when I back up straight and mostly turning in reverse, haven't heard it going forwards yet, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

juju4uofa
05-25-2007, 06:02 AM
If a CV boot is torn, you'll have axel grease everywhere. Universal boot kits cost around $15 and aren't that bad to replace yourself.

bellofello
05-25-2007, 03:16 PM
don't think it's that then because my wheels are still good, and haven't noticed any exess leakage of anything lately. Possibly the joint it self?

Ewok_Fetus
05-26-2007, 04:29 AM
One word of advice... TAKE THEM IN TO GET THEM DONE! You can take them off the car but take the shafts themselves in to a shop and have them do it... I fooked up on mine trying to get the joint back on and fooked the splines on the shaft... I now have to wait another week to get my car running due to waiting on parts... And please don't do a universal kit... For like $5 more you can have closer to OEM than a universal kit...

audiness
05-26-2007, 08:00 AM
just buy rebuilt ones, they arent expensive

BzeB5A4
05-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Just replaced outer cv driver's front this morning. Took about 2 hours.
Used aw writeup and removed hub from axle by taking lower control arms off of it.
It all went smoothly then took 30 mins to frickin get the arms back on.

Still wayyy cheaper than a dealer/shop.

Daft
05-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, sounds like a loose/worn outter CV joint. The boot is not really a part of the issue unless it's been torn already which lead to the clicking joint.

If I can give any solid advice here, it is that you should try and steer clear of the "rebuilt" axles from the parts stores. They are hardly "rebuilt" at all. The joints are not new. They are cleaned, packed with grease and reassembled. If the joint was already worn before they "rebuilt" it, it will still be worn when you get it at the parts store.

Either replace the joint with a brand new joint or contact Marty at Raxles.com and get a replacement axle from him. Last time I asked Marty, he quoted $175 for a front axle and $25 for round-trip UPS ground shipping. So it would be $200 and no core charge from what I understood. I don't recall paying a core charge with him before either. I think he only enforces core charges if it's a really rare axle that he has trouble getting from the salvage yards.

Wholsea
05-26-2007, 03:38 PM
DIY Over here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127348

If you messed yours up, you weren't paying attention when you installed it...

bellofello
05-26-2007, 08:25 PM
well I work/co-own sorta, at a dealership so I can get parts at cost and no labor, well cuzz I do it as part of my apprenticeship work. All gravy, but yeah, thanks for the input, just wondering about any little tips or tricks, I'll defiantly refer to the write up posted, thanks Wholsea