PDA

View Full Version : 00 ford explorer brakes

TQMB5
05-24-2007, 09:27 AM
hey im helping my bro do his brakes, fronts were straight forward but we cant figure out the rears, anyone done explorer rear rotors before?

billyboy
05-24-2007, 09:39 AM
i was a ford tech for 8 years. what exactly is your problem?

TQMB5
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
well we cant figure out how to get the rear rotor off? is there a trick to doing this?

TQMB5
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
buy looking at the new rotors, it looks like it should just slide right off like the fronts, but we cant figure out if they are just rusted on or if we need to undo the PB or something? we have beat it pretty hard with a BFH and dit didnt budge

billyboy
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
first take a hammer and hit the hub of the rotor around each of the wheel studs. the rotor gets frozen on the hub. after that is loose (may take some good hits), the rotor may still be stuck on the parking brake shoes. try wiggling it off. if it doesnt work you have to back the parking brake adjuster off. its on the back of the backing plate (the metal shield behind the rotor). take the rubber plug off and use a flat head screwdriver to turn the adjuster wheel. if it gets too tight you are going the wrong way. the shoes may be damaged from normal wear and tear. if they are then dont bother tightening that adjuster once you put the new rotors on. the parking brake isnt very important since most likely the truck is automatic.

any other questions hit me up with a PM and ill give you my cell #.

billy

TQMB5
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
awesome this helps a ton, thanks!