PDA

View Full Version : Can I take the car off the jack stands with the steering rack out?

Ewok_Fetus
05-21-2007, 11:15 AM
I am in the middle changing out the steering rack right now due to a massive power steering leak. I also need to do the CV boots on both the inners and outters. I cannot get the hub bolt out without putting the wheels on and lowering it to the ground though. Can I do this with the steering rack out? I need to do all of this when the parts come in and figured I would save some time. My boss is getting pissed at me showing up 30 minutes late everyday to take my wife into work.

onemoremile
05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
You can get that bolt out with the car on stands if you have your wife or neighbor push the brake pedal as hard as they can. I tried this and the wheel didn't move but the bolt was stuck. I twisted the bit and had about 6 feet of leverage. The shop down the street popped it off and retorqued it to something more reasonable for 5 bucks.

Ewok_Fetus
05-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Hahha, tried that but I didn't have the wheel on and the driveshaft just spun. Like I said, I will try to put the wheel on and try it.

onemoremile
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Or just put the lugs in.

Ewok_Fetus
05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Stop thinking for me! [:p]