PDA

View Full Version : tweeters

theskuh
05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey can I replace my tweeters without adding a new crossover? I have an old pair of nice tweeters from an old install. I was just going to swap them out wiht my current tweeter but don't want to mess with adding a new crossover yet. Where is the current crossover for the stock non bose door speakers?

aytheory
05-19-2007, 08:21 PM
ahaha - same story here i couldn't find them either

Mawhitey
05-20-2007, 05:39 AM
The crossover is built into the tweeter,so to replace them you would need at least a small in line one (CAPACITOR)

theskuh
05-26-2007, 05:37 PM
What about the woofer? I am guessing it is not crossed over just fed a full range signal?

How do the wires run from the head unit? is it just one line to the tweeter and then split to the woofer? or vice versa? I am a bit confused on how this is setup?

keeganhartman
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
you can run them in line i'd just go to your local audio store and pickup bassblockers and run them in line to be safe

onemoremile
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Some manufacturers sell add on tweeter kits that include high pass crossovers.

theskuh
05-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah,

Well what I am going to do is rewire the entire car ( I am waiting on the line out and possibly a 4 channel amp) . But I am so so sick of the sound right now I might just replace the front components tomorrow.

I have an older component set missing the woofers. So I bought a set of 5 1/4" woofers off ebay for $25. Older yamaha's not great by any means but not utter crap. So what I am going to do is install the passive crossover that I have, as well as the tweeters and woofers, tomorrow and see how it sounds. If it sounds like crap I will just buy a new set of components, if I can live with it I will keep this mix and match setup. I am not an audiophile by any means but just like decent sound.

I have an active crossover and some older amps that I am going to install when I get the line out adapter. I probably will just get new amps though. I have an older a/d/s amp that is really nice but it is only 2 channel so I am not sure how/if I am going to use it. I ran it in my old car to both fronts and backs but I missed the fade so I will probably just pick up a new 4 channel amp and put it up on ebay. Dunno. I would rather not have three separate amps in the back of my car. but it might be a better way to go since I already have this amp.

My big question is how are the door speakers wired? HU to woofer then to tweeter? or two lines from the (NON_BOSE symponhy) HU? I can't seem to find this info. Every thread I have seen says you can use the stock wire in the door to wire components but doesn't really elaborate. I imagine then there is just one wire??

Insel Fohrer
05-27-2007, 06:19 AM
I just replaced my speakers this week. You are much better off just running new wires. Especially if you are planning on using a 4Ch amp.

theskuh
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Yes it will be rewired. No doubt that is the best solution. Unless i can fit a 4 ch amp behind the HU LOL.

I am not rewiring it right now since I am going to wait until I get all the amps/parts/wires in. but that will probably be a couple weeks before I am ready to pull the HU and do a full install. There is really no need right now for me rewire the entire car until I am ready going to try to put the speakers in tonight or tomorrow. Will try to fab some brackets.

My question is exactly how are the components wired from the HU? In a non bose symphonhy radio.

Insel Fohrer
05-27-2007, 08:19 PM
The HU feed the 4" midrange which had another set of wires leading too the Tweeter. I don't think the midrange and tweeter rec'v seperate signals from the HU. The tweeter just has a built in crossover or bass blocker in it. And Yeh! I don't think you will be able to get and amp behind the HU. It's pretty tight back there. Put mine under the rear deck.

theskuh
05-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Cool thanks!

Did you flip your amp to put the fins up or just mount it normally. I want to put mine under the rear deck but supposedly it is better to mount the fins up. other wise the heat goes through the amp. I imagine I can make some spacers to mount it fins up and leave a little space in there to dissipate heat. Just seems like a good place to mount them.

A4 Effort
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
The stock mids and tweeters receive the same signal from the HU. As Insel mentioned, they are then split out to each respetive speaker, with the tweeter having an in-line crossover.

As for amp mounting: You can mount it under the rear shelf, but i wouldn't recommend it. The rear shelf is exposed to a lot of heat through the rear windshield, therefore; your amp will be exposed to excessive heat.

Here are some pics from my amp install:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Undertow27/image044.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Undertow27/image006.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/Undertow27/image007.jpg

theskuh
05-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Looks really clean!!

I think I might mount my amp on the right side of the trunk but not sure yet. I like have the seats fold down for snowboards.

I installed my tweeters, woofers and crossovers today. Things went pretty well. Took a lot longer than I thought but everything with cars always does.

I didn't make any adapters I just filled off some plastic that was in the way and used the holes that were there to mount the 5 1/4's not bad at all. I used some weather stripping to seal the speaker to the door panel. worked good. Also the tweeters I had mounted perfectly with the stock clip so that was sweet as well.

I mounted the crossovers inside the car ( I spliced into the speaker wires in the door to feed the crossover ) and ran new wire to the tweets and woofers. That way I can just run new speaker wires when i get ready to put the amps in and not have to mess with the doors anymore.

I am getting some noise from the driver side woofer I am not sure if the new speaker is bad or what. I am going to wait till I put my active crossover in and amp to make the decision to pull it. It just vibrates a bit when really low bass is played. I think if it gets more power it might be okay or if I cross it over and not send it the real low bass to it that might straightened it out too. Or it might just be bad..

Even with the slightly messed up woofer it sounds 100 times better than the stock setup. The new tweeters are so much better than the old ones. and having 5 1/4's makes a big difference as well. Can't wait to get the amps in and the sub built.

Insel Fohrer
06-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I just mounted the amp normally. It's not a big amp. It's an Alpine MRP-250 so hopefully it won't throw-off too much heat. I thought about mounting it like A4 Effort has it, however like you I needed to have full utility of the fold down rear seats so I needed the amp out of the way. I really like his Sub enclosure. Very trick!