PDA

View Full Version : How to pass emissions with flying colors -- every time.

grip_racer
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
a little knowledge from the e30tech crew (R.I.P. my 325i)

Info from:http://www.slidewaysonline.com/2007/01/10/how-to-pass-emissions-testing-2/

Just a precursor, this is not a permanent fix. Do not do this every time you need to pass emissions, it honestly is not good for your engine otherwise your car would run on the stuff. This is meant for people in a crunch that need to pass inspection and either dont have the time or money to fix the problem.

With that said, if you want to know what denatured alcohol is, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Denatured alcohol is basically ethanol. That stuff, if you are in the US, that your car already runs somewhere near 18% of. From what I know, denatured alcohol burns sooner than gasoline but burns hotter. Which means turbo systems are in danger of predetonation if they are running too lean. The benifits is that denatured alcohol runs very clean. A friend of mine with a supercharged AE86 corolla passed under half all of the emissions requirements for the state of maryland.

I have NOT run tests to really see how bad this is for your car so I take no responsibility if you do something stupid and try to run your whole car on the stuff and get a skull fracture when your piston rockets through your head (engine and/or body).

Anyway, if I havent scared you off, heres how you do it!
1. Buy 1-2 quarts of denatured alcohol from your local hardware store (home depot give me a sponsorship!)
2. Run your tank down anywhere from 1/4 tank to the E line depending on how gutsy you feel or how badly your car passed emissions last time.
3. Throw the bottle of denatured alcohol into your tank.
4. Warm up the car and drive it immediately to your emissions place.
5. Either run down your tank or siphon out the rest of the fuel
6. Fill up a FULL tank to dillute any denatured alcohol thats left

Tada! you have now passed emissions with flying colors.

Kyle H
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
hmm... Does this mean I may be able to run a test pipe in california?

I sure hope so!

aytheory
05-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Has anyone been able to pass with a test pipe, ahahhaha maybe our cars are super enviro friendly.

maxspeed
05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
hmm... Does this mean I may be able to run a test pipe in california?

I sure hope so!

have fun in jail after giving the state your car

Rosati
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
have fun in jail after giving the state your car

X2.

Yeah even I know Cali cops check for that and pop your hood if they suspect something