PDA

View Full Version : Noise from front left wheel

MikeWasHere05
05-13-2007, 08:18 PM
To make a long story short I powerslid into a curb a few months back. Since then I've been getting this odd cyclic rubbing type noise from the front left wheel (the one that hit the curb). It happens when I turn the wheel slightly to the right and seems to increase/decrease with speed proportionally.

At first my friend thought the tire might be rubbing on a bent swaybar, so I replaced the swaybar. That didn't fix it. Then we thought maybe the rim was bent, so we put new rims on. That didn't fix it.

I'm going in like two days for an alignment, but if that doesn't fix it what else should I look for? I'm thinking its either something in the power steering or possibly a wheel bearing? I know my control arms/tie rods are going so could it be related?

If I take it to get aligned, they should tell me if a wheel bearing or something is bad... right?

EDIT: Maybe this is better off in the tech forum? Feel free to move mods

Squarrl
05-13-2007, 09:06 PM
A similar thing happened when my sister slid my parents Volvo V70 AWD into the curb at about 50kmh. It actually damaged the viscous coupling in the transmission causing the same noise... do the wheels kinda of skip on sharp turns?

deux321
05-13-2007, 09:07 PM
control arms you would hear clicking noise while turn to a certain way.
my vote is for wheel bearing!

onemoremile
05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
My vote is wheel bearing or tie rod.

MikeWasHere05
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
A similar thing happened when my sister slid my parents Volvo V70 AWD into the curb at about 50kmh. It actually damaged the viscous coupling in the transmission causing the same noise... do the wheels kinda of skip on sharp turns?

Skip? What do you mean? They squeal sometimes, but I think thats more due to my speed than anything [drive]

Although my speed is what got me into this mess [headbang] [down]

I'm confused though. If its my wheel bearing why does it only do it when I turn to the right?

onemoremile
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Because it is your left wheel bearing. When you turn right the weight shifts to the left and puts more load on the bearing.

BzeB5A4
05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
hey at least the front bearings are cheaper than the rear ones.

MikeWasHere05
05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Because it is your left wheel bearing. When you turn right the weight shifts to the left and puts more load on the bearing.

Ahh. Is there a check I could do to see if its the bearing? I looked up the audiworld writeup on replacing the bearing and it doesn't seem that bad.

thanks

onemoremile
05-13-2007, 09:21 PM
The check is a slalom with the windows down. Go right and listen, go left and listen. Sounds like you've got that much done already.

SirDaft1
05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
hey at least the front bearings are cheaper than the rear ones.

but labor is more expensive. i'll bet my $$ its a wheel bearing as well. I slid my car into a curb over the winter with my rear wheel... guess what was making a bad noise afterwards? WHEEL BEARING. If that is what the mech finds is wrong with it.... replace it stat. Mine almost heat bonded into the knuckle in the 2 weeks i drove on it <--- not what you want to happen.

BzeB5A4
05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
but labor is more expensive. i'll bet my $$ its a wheel bearing as well. I slid my car into a curb over the winter with my rear wheel... guess what was making a bad noise afterwards? WHEEL BEARING. If that is what the mech finds is wrong with it.... replace it stat. Mine almost heat bonded into the knuckle in the 2 weeks i drove on it <--- not what you want to happen.

true..if ur paying for labor.

my dad helps me with all maintenance stuff.
but it still costs to have a shop push out old bearing and press in new bearing.

Bic-Ball
05-13-2007, 11:09 PM
even if it's not the cause, check your control arm for stress/bending/cracking. i had mine break on me and it wasn't pretty.

A4Shizzle
05-14-2007, 10:55 PM
OMG dude, I had this exact same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago and now I have the same kind of noise. I was thinking about posting, but you damn sure saved me some time explaining the situation. I checked for play in the wheel but I didn't find any. Also, my wheel only makes the sound when coasting or lightly on the brakes/gas. I too will be getting it aligned cuz thats off now, and that wheel checked for balance. I'll probably also have them rotate the wheels while I'm at it, one less culprit. In my case its a relatively quiet noise and I can only hear it with the radio off from inside the car, except at a certain speed or something, when it gets louder. It really makes it hard to pinpoint.

audi1888t
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
yupp its the wheel bearings same thing happened to me a few months ago and i just ogt it fixed 3 weeks ago

Euro-Tuner
05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
def. a wheel bearing, dude you spend $$ like crazy w/out diagnosing the problem...holy crap!! I think the problem might be that I need a CF hood, wanna send me the money and see if the sound goes away??

MikeWasHere05
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
def. a wheel bearing, dude you spend $$ like crazy w/out diagnosing the problem...holy crap!! I think the problem might be that I need a CF hood, wanna send me the money and see if the sound goes away??

I got the swaybar for $70, and the rims I got for free.

BzeB5A4
05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
yea, i would hold out on that alignment.

buyin and fixin the bearing costs less than an alignment lol.

MikeWasHere05
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
yea, i would hold out on that alignment.

buyin and fixin the bearing costs less than an alignment lol.

Sounds good. I could've replaced it for the cost of the swaybar, but eh.

Know anyone that wants a sport 1.8t front sway? [wrench]

EDIT: Think it would be horrible to wait 2 months or so and replace it when I do the control arms? Its already been four... whats another two?