PDA

View Full Version : Strange Vibration/High RPM's

1.8TQTATL
05-11-2007, 04:21 PM
So I have a mystery problem. I noticed about a month ago that while driving at speeds above about 65 there is a slight but noticeable vibration in the steering wheel. As time went on, it has gotten a bit more noticeable. I have also noticed that Im running at slightly higher RPMS and my acceleration is sluggish. At 79MPH Im way over the 3000RPM marker, and I used to be right at 2800 or so. My first instinct thought brakes, so I brought it into the shop, checked it out, and no problems with the brakes, not a seized caliper or anything. Any ideas?

If it means something, I do need some new tires, and an alignment. Which could explain the vibration I guess, but the RPMs? Its hard for me to believe that this is what is restricting my acceleration.

dozentrio
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry to say but it sounds like your tranny is the culprit here. You say you're driving at the same speed, but your engine is revving higher than usual. If you were a manual, that would mean your clutch was slipping, since you're tiptronic? I assume your clutches and other mysterious auto-transmission elements are slipping, or otherwise screwed up.

1.8TQTATL
05-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm sorry to say but it sounds like your tranny is the culprit here. You say you're driving at the same speed, but your engine is revving higher than usual. If you were a manual, that would mean your clutch was slipping, since you're tiptronic? I assume your clutches and other mysterious auto-transmission elements are slipping, or otherwise screwed up.

That might make sense, but would it cause the vibration?

AudiRacerS4
05-12-2007, 07:25 AM
3000rpms at 80mph in 5th gear is completely normal and if you go WOT from 80mph in 5th gear you're not going to get super fast acceleration especially without a chip