PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifiying a noise from my rear...

ct1.8t4me
05-09-2007, 08:17 PM
[:D]

I just replaced my driver's side wheel bearing. I did the passenger side last year.

Shortly after replacing the bearing, I am getting a new sound from the rear driver's side again. This is how I can describe the sound:

It is in time with the spinning of the wheel.
It does not make noise when I am on the throttle, only when I am coasting or maintaining speed.
It quiets considerably when I step on the brakes.
It does not appear to quiet when I turn to the right (where the bad wheel bearing did).

Any ideas? I suppose it is possible that the wheel bearing that I put in is crap or the bearing housing was damaged, but I want to say it is unlikely. Could it be a warped rotor? Maybe I didn't notice it with all the racket that the bearing was making - the bad bearing was louder than a 2.5" exhaust with no resonator a 3" testpipe and a straight through dynomax muffler...

zrowcool
05-10-2007, 05:09 AM
a warped rotor would make it vibrate when you are breaking. i would take a look at the brakes first and see if there anything out of place. Im guessing its the wheel bearing though. good luck

ct1.8t4me
05-10-2007, 06:32 AM
that's what I was afraid of. Any other opinions before I start tearing it apart - again?

ct1.8t4me
05-11-2007, 06:41 AM
It's the bearing. I forgot the old trick of just trying to push on the top of the wheel. After doing this, and seeing considerable movement, and talking to the machine shop that pressed it in, I'm 99% certain it's the bearing.

I called the company I got the bearing from - FCPGroton (http://www.foreigncarpartsonline.com/) - and he is sending me a new one with a shipping label to return the old one. I thought I was going to be screwed but they took care of me...nice once in a while to be treated like a customer and not an enemy.

ct1.8t4me
05-15-2007, 10:29 AM
...Or I'm an idiot.

I tore it down yesterday afternoon and took the hub to the machine shop to have the new bearing pressed in. He took a look at the unit with the bearing he had put in 2 weeks prior and told me there was nothing wrong with it. I kind of suspected that when I got it all apart myself because it spun freely and looked mint, but I wanted to be sure.

I put it all back together last night and I am getting the same BS noise. It gets louder and faster as the speed increases.

WTF can it be? There are only so many rotating parts back there:
The wheel bearing
The axle
The brake disc and/or assembly

Could a warped rotor or otherwise messed brake setup do this? I mean, I'm sure it could, but has anyone ever had this happen?

ct1.8t4me
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Could it be the rear differential mount? I am stumped and I don't have a lot of money to throw at this thing right now...