PDA

View Full Version : need 4 new rotors



unknownvirus
07-01-2004, 10:30 PM
whats my best bet?
259 for 4 slotted/drilled ecs rotors
or 230 for 4 plain brembo
or even like 150 for oem audi rotors (which i wouldnt mind)


i dont wanan spend more than like 300
thanx guys

SEXIC─N
07-01-2004, 10:57 PM
If you are going for the OEM fit, i would say just go the cheapest. Why spend $300 on tiny rotors? IMO. I am in the same boat you are, i'm looking for rotors also, i just realized that i'm not getting big brakes/rotors, so i just figured why spend more money for tiny rotors

unknownvirus
07-01-2004, 11:03 PM
true...ill go that route
so do u know where i can get the best price on oem rotors?
i saw somewhere for 65 a pair
but i forgot the site
:-(

SEXIC─N
07-01-2004, 11:14 PM
dude that $65 a pair sounds hella good

unknownvirus
07-01-2004, 11:33 PM
i found the website
but they only sell front

TheEZest
07-01-2004, 11:40 PM
my mechanic got me crossed drilled brembos for the same price as OEM's...so i decided why not get the brembos. i don't know where they were from though so i guess im not much help. haha sorry.

SEXIC─N
07-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by TheEZest
my mechanic got me crossed drilled brembos for the same price as OEM's...so i decided why not get the brembos. i don't know where they were from though so i guess im not much help. haha sorry.

THAAAAAAAANKSS[rolleyes]

SEXIC─N
07-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by unknownvirus
i found the website
but they only sell front

Whats the website? i would spend $65 on fronts. i have called around and they are like $80 for OEM(thast not including tax)

///s50
07-02-2004, 12:58 AM
http://www.importrp.com

I buy from them .. great deals

SEXIC─N
07-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ///s50
http://www.importrp.com

I buy from them .. great deals

You weren't kidding baout great deals, the cheapest they sell a rotor is $27.

Kevin
07-02-2004, 02:53 AM
i got brembo cross drilled rotors for sale if u want

Daft
07-02-2004, 06:00 AM
I recently went down this same road. I needed to get rid of my ECS slotted rotors (junk) and Mintex reds. I didn't want to spend more than $300 due to temporary budget constraints[;)] so here's what I looked at:

Zimmerman crossdrilled
ATE Power Discs
ATE OEM plain
Zimmerman OEM Plain
Brembo Plain

All these discs were made of the same metals so, there was no hope of finding one that would last longer than the others but, the plain face rotors would provide a bit more suface area for the already small stock brake size. Crossdrilled is cool but, lets face it, there's almost no benefit to them on a OEM size A4 brake system.

The one rotor that stood out to me was the ATE power disc. It was very unconventional and that interested me. They are designed to create a dual slot pattern that sweeps the pad faces in a criscross pattern all the time. This pulls heat outward, pulls cool air inward and also scrapes the pads evenly while dragging dust away from the pad area via centrifugal force. Each rotor was $50 from Impex.

I bought a set of PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads from ECS and I have to say they a really well rounded. I have yet to fade them out during my daily commute and they NEVER EVER squeak. Sweet pad.

Overall my cost was $100 for rotors, about $60 for pads and I even bought a can of new brake fluid for $10.

The one thing that is very important in this case is that I also bought the Wet braking shields that Audi made to replace the non-exsistant ones on all 1996-2000 A4 cars. They made a HUGE difference in the rain. Whenever it rains, the car stops as fast as it does on dry days. No more last minutes stops on the highway off ramps. I also bought the other half of the wet braking kit. It's a set of plastic guides that attach to the belly pan edges to channel rain and water away from the wheel wells and pul it to the car's floor pan area. I have yet to install them but, I will soon.

Here's the part numbers and what I paid:

8D0 698 998 - $12 from Impex for both metal shields and new bolts.

8D0 698 998A - $11 from Impex for four 3/4" thick ABS plastic guides that snap onto the belly pan's outter edges.

Here's a comparison of the OEM -vs- wet braking shield kit:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel31.shtml

A4_Andre
07-02-2004, 07:13 AM
i have the ATE power discs. i like them a lot. had them on the car for almost 2 months i believe and there's no rusting. it seemed like they were going to rust in the beginning, but it went away. the ATE stock replacement rust though. and my mintex reds squeak now and i want to rip them out!

///s50
07-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Audi_A4_Quattro
You weren't kidding baout great deals, the cheapest they sell a rotor is $27.

Call them they have more stuff

jjjoe
07-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Check out http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com
I got plain Brembos for my wifes Infiniti G20 from them and will be getting something for my 2k tq one of these days. Good prices.
Joe

I am armed
07-03-2004, 02:53 PM
My brakes are in the worst shape i've ever seen. The rear pads are damn near gone, and all four rotors are crumbling apart around the edges. Hahah, I really REALLY need new brakes.

A4 in SC
07-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by turbo90awd
I recently went down this same road. I needed to get rid of my ECS slotted rotors (junk) and Mintex reds. I didn't want to spend more than $300 due to temporary budget constraints[;)] so here's what I looked at:

Zimmerman crossdrilled
ATE Power Discs
ATE OEM plain
Zimmerman OEM Plain
Brembo Plain

All these discs were made of the same metals so, there was no hope of finding one that would last longer than the others but, the plain face rotors would provide a bit more suface area for the already small stock brake size. Crossdrilled is cool but, lets face it, there's almost no benefit to them on a OEM size A4 brake system.

The one rotor that stood out to me was the ATE power disc. It was very unconventional and that interested me. They are designed to create a dual slot pattern that sweeps the pad faces in a criscross pattern all the time. This pulls heat outward, pulls cool air inward and also scrapes the pads evenly while dragging dust away from the pad area via centrifugal force. Each rotor was $50 from Impex.

I bought a set of PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads from ECS and I have to say they a really well rounded. I have yet to fade them out during my daily commute and they NEVER EVER squeak. Sweet pad.

Overall my cost was $100 for rotors, about $60 for pads and I even bought a can of new brake fluid for $10.

The one thing that is very important in this case is that I also bought the Wet braking shields that Audi made to replace the non-exsistant ones on all 1996-2000 A4 cars. They made a HUGE difference in the rain. Whenever it rains, the car stops as fast as it does on dry days. No more last minutes stops on the highway off ramps. I also bought the other half of the wet braking kit. It's a set of plastic guides that attach to the belly pan edges to channel rain and water away from the wheel wells and pul it to the car's floor pan area. I have yet to install them but, I will soon.

Here's the part numbers and what I paid:

8D0 698 998 - $12 from Impex for both metal shields and new bolts.

8D0 698 998A - $11 from Impex for four 3/4" thick ABS plastic guides that snap onto the belly pan's outter edges.

Here's a comparison of the OEM -vs- wet braking shield kit:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel31.shtml

Glad to hear you like the ATE power discs. Even though we don't agree about the Mintex Red box, we still agree about the ATEs. [;)]

Quality rotors, and if they perform as advertised, should be an improvement over stock.

Later,
Mike

SEXIC─N
07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Yeah i think i'm going with the ATE power disc's and some stock cheap rears.