PDA

View Full Version : Dual Rear Fog Mod Question/Help

KrautExpress
07-01-2004, 10:15 PM
So, I decide after reading the AW tech article to do this.
I go out, pull the bulb cluster, Dremmel out the hole, buy the new bulbs and then I notice that there's no metal connector for the contact on the bulb.
So I pull the opposite, working side, and it's got one in there. *Tech article didn't cover this... So, in my brilliance I rig something so ridiculous...well, it's the clip off of a pen if you must know. It's metal, the same size and with a little adjusting it fit's and makes contact perfectly...
Then I switch it on and pop, fuse goes...
No biggie replace fuse, pull out the sweet rewire I did and all is back to normal...
But i would like to put in the 2nd side bulb. What do I need to do to get this to work? Is it not possible or should a proper connection, saudered in do the trick?

Sorry for the long explanation....

Thanks...

SEXIC─N
07-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Do you have a 98 or 98.5?

KrautExpress
07-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Audi_A4_Quattro
Do you have a 98 or 98.5?

I believe a 98.5. Did they change the wiring at some point?

SEXIC─N
07-01-2004, 10:53 PM
yeah between that year 98 and 98.5 Here is a way to tell. Looking at your tails, is the reverse a strip towards the top or a square at the bottom middle?

KrautExpress
07-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Audi_A4_Quattro
yeah between that year 98 and 98.5 Here is a way to tell. Looking at your tails, is the reverse a strip towards the top or a square at the bottom middle?

Strip toward the top...

DDQ
07-02-2004, 08:17 AM
If they look like this, they're 98.5:

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a4/diff/tn_mvc375f_jpg.jpg

I am armed
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Does anyone have a complete tech article for the pre-98.5 B5 chassis A4? I'd like to do this mod as well. However, I don't want to have jimmyrig a pen clip. Not that im too good for that, just that i'd mess it up, i need a really simple way to go about it. Thanks.

aborchew
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
So the tails with amber strip at the top and smaller clear box toward bottom is earlier 98 model year?

DDQ
07-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by aborchew
So the tails with amber strip at the top and smaller clear box toward bottom is earlier 98 model year?

Yes.

96, 97, 98.0 A4s all have the amber strip across the top.

98.5 and 99.0 have the ones I posted a pic of above.

And I think everyone is familiar with the 99.5+ style.

I am armed
07-02-2004, 09:06 AM
DDQ is absolutely correct. Good info :)

kontesto
07-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by DDQ

And I think everyone is familiar with the 99.5+ style.

Do you have an article on how to do it for the '01 B5s? It'd be nice to have the dual fogs

KM

I am armed
07-02-2004, 09:37 AM
It's good for pissing people off behind you. If you get some aftermarket bulbs that are brighter than stock....it gets really bright. My friends M3's led blinkers are brighter than shit. He flipped on his hazards once when i was behind him with my brights on, and I can say that those LED's are damn bright.

A4_Andre
07-02-2004, 09:59 AM
you should change your name to McGuiver (however u spell it) for the pen rig...

and happy 500th post to me!!

needforspd
07-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Do 01s/01.5s not come stock w/ the dual? Mine's like that w/ the dual rear fogs. Of course Teddy could have had em modded like that but for some reason i thought dual was stock for 01.

They come in handy to fake people out like im break checking.
I hate people who ride on your ass.

Originally posted by kontesto
Do you have an article on how to do it for the '01 B5s? It'd be nice to have the dual fogs

KM

RippleChip
07-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Duals do not come on any, it had to be modded that way.

Konesto, very easy to do on yours.
Simply pull the bulb tray out, insert a bulb in the top location.
Take the tail light out, using a dremel or cutting tool trim back the slot so the bulb can slide through.
Put it all back together.
Turn on and voila. Your car is prewired for it, takes about 15 minutes to do.

needforspd
07-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Ahhh ok cool. Good for me, I dont have to mod it.

Originally posted by RippleChip
Duals do not come on any, it had to be modded that way.

KrautExpress
07-05-2004, 08:59 PM
See, I"m just wondering if a saudering job would have prevented the blown fuse or is the rig I came up with just too shizzy? or...is the circuit not designed to handle the juice for another bulb?

anyone done this mod for our 98.5's? Or are we stuck to neat-o, factory rear fog boredom? Perhaps I'll install big reverse lights under the rear bumper like a truck, then I can flip em on when i'm pissed off...or towing my boat.

ECA4
07-06-2004, 07:02 AM
I tries doing the dual fog mod on my 98.5 and it didn't work. I dremmeled out the hole and stuck a bulb in, but nothing. What else do I have to do to get it to work? Do I have to mess around with the electrical?

BTW, the best way to piss off a tailgater would be to just simply turn on you windshield washer[:p]

SEXIC─N
07-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I find it fun to piss of tailgaters is to gradually slow down to a damn near stop and when they try to go around you speed back up and do it all over again.(i only do this if i have the time though, which is rarely ever, but still fun)

KrautExpress
07-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by ECA4
I tries doing the dual fog mod on my 98.5 and it didn't work. I dremmeled out the hole and stuck a bulb in, but nothing. What else do I have to do to get it to work? Do I have to mess around with the electrical?

BTW, the best way to piss off a tailgater would be to just simply turn on you windshield washer[:p]

read above...
basically, there's a metal connector piece that's on the other side and not the passenger. I'm trying to figure out if anyone's done this. I don't think so though. It seems a bit complex...oh, and don't use a pen clip. [:D]

BuffysRS4
07-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by I am armed
It's good for pissing people off behind you. If you get some aftermarket bulbs that are brighter than stock....it gets really bright. My friends M3's led blinkers are brighter than shit. He flipped on his hazards once when i was behind him with my brights on, and I can say that those LED's are damn bright.

can we put LEDs in the rear of our cars? that would be cool[cool]

RippleChip
07-08-2004, 05:53 AM
You can, but you need the proper resistance. A few have done it.

EnvyJK
07-08-2004, 02:59 PM
So the basic question in this thread that hasn't been answered yet is... How would Kraut and others with a 98.5 mod their rear fogs to have them work?

RippleChip
07-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Look for the Tech article for adding the second in on an A6. It has the writeup for wiring it up.

I'll try to find the details of it.