PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used these....

fred2ka4
05-06-2007, 03:29 PM
These are a couple of items I am seriously thinking about getting and wanted to know if anyone has done these mods and what were the results.

Here are the parts and the claims:

1) SPP electric fan:

Developed and race tested on the Intrax A4 Race car, we are proud to announce the SPP EFK. Unlike other products that add more hp, the EFK uses a different approach by reducing a solid 5-10hp of drive-train loss throughout the removal of the high spinning fan and heavy fan clutch translating into more hp at the wheels! With the SPP EFK, you will be confident that the cooling capacity offered in our kit has been tested in the most severe conditions of racing and is more than durable for the street. This adds improved throttle response, cooling, and hp. Our race tested kit includes all necessary hardware for installation

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/SPREFK.jpg

2) ECS Tuning - South Performance power gasket

Intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and air temps stay 20-30° F cooler.
Made from a high performance polymer Power Gasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.Power Gasket™ has been designed for affordability easy installation and no disruption to your manifold attachment and engine accessories. This means that you can simply swap your old intake manifold gasket for a Power Gasket. No buying longer bolts or installing multiple gaskets. In less than 2 hours you will be enjoying a more powerful better performing ride.NOTE: Does not fit Audi AEB Engines

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/869_x600.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/868_x600.jpg

Let me know what you think, or let me know your personal results if you have already purchased these items. The Power Gasket is available for AEB engines but I just showed the one that was for my application. One of the main reasons I am considering these mods is because they both add up to a little over $200 so I think it is a good bang for the buck as well as keeping the car cooler running and freeing up a few ponies ....... [:D] [;)]

Thanks, Fred

Rosati
05-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Heard the fan did nothing but raise usage level on the electrical system and did not lower temps significantly

a220vt
05-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I had one of those gaskets on my MKII 20v swap, the intake manifold was always cool to the touch after a long drive.

A4Rob
05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I run a South Performance power gasket. I believe it works too :)

mike-2ptzero
05-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I have one of their plus gaskets. I found that the manifold still heats up like normal but the gasket does helps to make it take slightly longer for the IM to heat up and cool down a bit quicker. Problem is that most of the heat is coming from the IAT so it isn't like you can keep the IM from heating up at all.

fred2ka4
05-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Heard the fan did nothing but raise usage level on the electrical system and did not lower temps significantly

They didn't claim it would lower temps significantly but that it would improve cooling. They did say it would free up 5-10hp due to parasitic loss because the engine does not have to waste hp turning it. As for the electrical strain that's the first I hear of this but I will take it into consideration.

Thanks

mike-2ptzero
05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
They didn't claim it would lower temps, they said it would free up parasitic hp loss because the engine does not have to waste hp turning it. As for the electrical strain that's the first I hear of this but I will take it into consideration.

Thanks

When does the stock fan come on? I have heard that some people lost hp with a electric fan setup because they ended up removing some load on the engine.

solowb5
05-06-2007, 04:43 PM
i put that same one on my car. the temp stays @ the half way mark on the guage. it does seem like it gave it a little faster response. not much but enough to notice

Euro-Tuner
05-06-2007, 06:20 PM
it shouldnt have an effect on the temp sensor, that measures the temp of the coolant...but I am interested in the spacer.

fred2ka4
05-06-2007, 06:21 PM
i put that same one on my car. the temp stays @ the half way mark on the guage. it does seem like it gave it a little faster response. not much but enough to notice

That would be about the same as what I have now as far as temps. because right now I am at about the half way mark on my stock fan set-up. The added response would be nice. This is what I was looking for as far as someone with first hand experience with before and after real results.

Keep the info coming as I need more data before I pull the trigger on this mod and thanks to all who have voiced their opinions.

onemoremile
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
The electric fan is nice for autocrossing and track days. After a run or a session the car often sits idling to cool down. The stock fan just spins at idle speed. The electric fan can spin at full speed and pull a lot more air through the radiator. You'll have to modify the wiring to get this to work right. I'm looking into rewiring mine so that it comes on whenever water temps are at the top of their range.

ActiveMonkey
05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Fred, im running the set up right now. not too hard to install and i did notice a slightly faster throttle response.

I wired it as the instructions told me to and it seems to turn on and off when it's needed. Pretty nice fan kit. So far i've never seen the temps go above 1/2 mark.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC03338.jpg

solowb5
05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
i mean its only 150 and from what uve done thats chump change so its deff worth imo

SeanF
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
you may consider making your own kit... the fan is 80+ shipping. from there, all you need is a shorter belt, and some screws and small metal bits to mount the fan...

at 150shipped though, the kit is worthwild.... car revs a bit "free-er"

Aliel
05-06-2007, 09:52 PM
The electric fan is nice for autocrossing and track days. After a run or a session the car often sits idling to cool down. The stock fan just spins at idle speed. The electric fan can spin at full speed and pull a lot more air through the radiator. You'll have to modify the wiring to get this to work right. I'm looking into rewiring mine so that it comes on whenever water temps are at the top of their range.

Great Point. (Rosati)

fred2ka4
05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the info fellas, all your input helped and I am now the owner of both items. I ordered them online and will post some pics as soon as they arrive. The SPP fan kit will probably go on first as I have to wait for my intake manifold to get back from powder coating before I do that install.

There was a lot of on hand experience and information in the short period of time this thread was posted and it did help me to make my decision so again, thanks for all the advise.

[az] [up] [up]

Jereme
05-07-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm throwing one of those intake gaskets on here in a few so I'll let you know if I notice anything, I also have my elcectric fan wired to a swtich...

onemoremile
05-07-2007, 06:56 AM
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/threads/846528.phtml#2370019

Adjustable fan thermoswitch. (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_751522_-1)

fred2ka4
05-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Onemoremile, do you just mount the controller in the engine bay? Because I don't think I would want that in my interior.

audi_dude
05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
I'd be really interested to see if that gasket changes temps by that much. If you would be willing to run some tests before and after the gasket, I'd be willing to loan you some type of temp gauge to help out. PM me if interested.

GetBoosted84
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I have one of their plus gaskets. I found that the manifold still heats up like normal but the gasket does helps to make it take slightly longer for the IM to heat up and cool down a bit quicker. Problem is that most of the heat is coming from the IAT so it isn't like you can keep the IM from heating up at all.

There is something you can do to lower the IATs... You can use water injection (or an intercooler sprayer but there are mixed feelings on using a sprayer from what I have seen on this board. I am going to be using my Spearco Water Injection kit to lower my temps once I get a free weekend to install it.

onemoremile
05-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Onemoremile, do you just mount the controller in the engine bay? Because I don't think I would want that in my interior.

I'm mounting it under the hood. It will probably require a bit of tinkering to get the right setting.

Qwert302
05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Anyone noticed any mileage difference with either of these? Particularly the gasket?

theskuh
05-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I think the gasket adds like 20 miles a tank.

just kidding

mike-2ptzero
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Hey fred, you ready to take your car down the 1320 weds night?

fred2ka4
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey fred, you ready to take your car down the 1320 weds night?

We'll have to see. I don't think she's up to it just yet ......... [rolleyes] [:D]

What time do the races start?

mike-2ptzero
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
9 .... Wed Street Legal Fun Drags. Open 4pm. Racing 5pm-10pm. Adm. $7, Racing $15

Just think, it really only cost you $8 to run the car down the track a few times since you already have to pay $7 to watch. I plan on going to the track around 3:30.

fred2ka4
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
9 .... Wed Street Legal Fun Drags. Open 4pm. Racing 5pm-10pm. Adm. $7, Racing $15

Just think, it really only cost you $8 to run the car down the track a few times since you already have to pay $7 to watch. I plan on going to the track around 3:30.

So after we leave 034 do you want to go straight to the track or do you want to stop by my house for a little bit and rest?

My house is on the way to the track but it's up to you.

fred2ka4
09-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I found my old thread, so sorry for the question on the other thread.

Onemoremile, did you ever install the adjustable fan thermo switch and if you did how did it work out? Any pics?

Adjustable fan thermoswitch. (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_751522_-1)

mike-2ptzero
09-14-2007, 06:46 AM

Onemoremile, did you ever install the adjustable fan thermo switch and if you did how did it work out? Any pics?

Fred I installed that exact switch into my car for my electric fan, nice part is that the fan never has to come on while the car is moving. Might have even helped to get my car down to 10.69

onemoremile
09-14-2007, 06:51 AM

I'm lazy and never even ordered the thing. I wish I would have gotten this reminder a couple days ago. I'm rebuilding my calipers with Tyrol Sport's bushing kit so I'll be in the garage anyway. Maybe next week...