PDA

View Full Version : "surging" under acceleration

D Piddy
07-01-2004, 09:25 AM
when i accelerate in 2nd gear it feels as tho my clutch is sorta slipping, but i've done the 5th gear test and my clutch isn't slipping. so, could it be the DV? bc i've heard if that starts to head south u can get surging. however, there is no honking. and i'm not chipped so that would seem odd(that chip part is changing soon!!). so, wut's the diagnosis?

DDQ
07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Need more info. Do you have a boost gauge? It's likely a torn BPV. When was the last time you changed it?

A slipping clutch and a boost leak really aren't too easy to mix up though.

D Piddy
07-01-2004, 10:53 AM
i have a boost gauge and it doesn't appear that i'm losing boost, i peak at a tad under 10PSI and hold at 7ish which is normal. i only linked the two possibilities bc it feels like the clutch but this doesn't occur at WOT in 5th gear where the most stress on the clutch occurs. the car just feels like it hesitates a bit in little bursts. i dunn how else to explain it

Saturnine
07-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Could me a sticky wastegate.

D Piddy
07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Saturnine
Could me a sticky wastegate.

would i be able to see the effects of that on the boost gauge?

DDQ
07-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by D Piddy
would i be able to see the effects of that on the boost gauge?

So you're saying your boost isn't surging? You'd see the needle flutter if this issue was related to boost (i.e., BPV, N75, leaks, etc...). If you're not seeing that, then it's very unlikely a boost or turbo problem.

So is this only happening under heavy load, or hard acceleration?

D Piddy
07-01-2004, 11:36 AM
ok, first off, next time i go out, in a couple hours, i'll watch the gauge more carefully. second, to answer yur question, it's under hardd acceleration in second gear

DDQ
07-01-2004, 11:50 AM
If it's BPV or boost related then you'd likely see it in all gears (when under load). But, you may only really notice it in 2nd or 3rd since when you drive around you may accelerate harder in that gear(s) most of time, and hit higher boost levels.

D Piddy
07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
interesting, makes sense at least. i'll watch the boost gauge more carefully next time i take her out