PDA

View Full Version : Terrible squeak

AnthraciteA4
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I have a 99.5 B5 2.8Q, and the bushings on my rear sway bar squeak all the time. It sounds terrible inside the car and out. WD40, and white lithium grease don't keep it quiet for long enough. I am going to install new front and rear bars, but I don't know which manufacturer to choose. LLtek has the best price and larger bars, but I don't want to deal with lubing it every week or so. I know that someone makes graphite impregnated bushing with teflon. Neuspeed wasn't advertising that it was them.

Anybody have an idea about the bushings, or atleast what I should do?

I have a mahle control arm kit, ECS coil over kit, H&R sport springs, and Bilstein sport shocks all waiting to go on. So I wanted to do this all at once.

pms
05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Your first problem is your choice of lube. WD40 is never going to be a long lasting lubricant...it dries up. White lithium is not a good choice for this situation either. There are waterproof teflon lubes designed for this purpose that you could put on there that would last longer, but I have actually found anti-zeize to be an acceptable alternative.

You could replace the bushings with ones made from something like a teflon impregnated delrin...there are companies out there that sell them, but you'll have to take measurements and probably buy something designed for another car...possibly trim some material to get it to fit. You could also have some machined from delrin stock...that stuff works very nicely - like hard plastic, but it does not melt and goop up your cutting surfaces if you keep the speed of your tools down - and because it flexes less than rubber you will find that your swaybar is actually more effective with delrin bushings than with rubber or even polyeurathane bushings.

Then, it is the H&R swaybars (click here) (http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=32&PEI=5&PP=B6_s4_suspension.cfm&PPT=Suspension&IL=hrswaybar) that come with teflon-lined bushings.

AnthraciteA4
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
The trick is, I own a 1999.5 B5 A4 and those are for the B6/B7 S4.

After going to H&R's website they do offer sway bars for the B5.

AnthraciteA4
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
After calling LLtek, I have decided to go with the H&R. They are larger in diameter, have better bushings and are coated to prevent oxidation. MagChloride is killer even on stainless steel. Plus they will match my springs :)

jeremy@matrix
05-17-2007, 05:23 PM
H-Sport's are our recommendation for sways.

AnthraciteA4
06-27-2007, 01:57 PM
It turns out that it is NOT my sway bar that is squeaking so terribly. It is the upper and lower bushings on the drivers side rear control arm and the lower bushing on the passenger side rear control arm. Do they make an "upgraded"control arm for the rear of a B5 quattro? If not, does anyone know where I can get a good price on some OEM ones? They DO need to be replaced, the retard who owned the car before me, shaved into the control arms to allow his 255 40 17 tires to clear,instead of just using spacers.

jeremy@matrix
06-27-2007, 02:46 PM
It turns out that it is NOT my sway bar that is squeaking so terribly. It is the upper and lower bushings on the drivers side rear control arm and the lower bushing on the passenger side rear control arm. Do they make an "upgraded"control arm for the rear of a B5 quattro? If not, does anyone know where I can get a good price on some OEM ones? They DO need to be replaced, the retard who owned the car before me, shaved into the control arms to allow his 255 40 17 tires to clear,instead of just using spacers.

Interesting. Glad to hear you found it.

So are you looking for the rear upper or lowers or both? We can help but they're not cheap(cost-wise). Feel free to email me.

HIERLEVELZ
06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I used some brake grease on the upper A-arm bushing and it quited the squeak significantly. Im going to put some on the lower bushings as well and see if it eliminates the squeak all together.