PDA

View Full Version : b5 brake pad question

kermac
05-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Anyone know whether the disc pads changed size or shape through the life of the b5?

I'm trying to buy some ebc Yellow Stuff pads for my 2000 model and the catalogue tells me the pads for the 1996-1998 model are different from the 1998-2002 (?) model.

Can this be right? Or are they in fact interchangeable? [confused] [headbang]

All replies treated in strict confidence [:D]

jeremy@matrix
05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Anyone know whether the disc pads changed size or shape through the life of the b5?

I'm trying to buy some ebc Yellow Stuff pads for my 2000 model and the catalogue tells me the pads for the 1996-1998 model are different from the 1998-2002 (?) model.

Can this be right? Or are they in fact interchangeable? [confused] [headbang]

All replies treated in strict confidence [:D]

Well, later B5's had OEM pad wear sensors. Many aftermarket pads don't come with the wear sensors. Is that maybe what they're asking about?

kermac
05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Jeremy

Thanks for your response and greetings from Down Under.

As I was getting more and more confused with the conflicting information I was receiving, I emailed the factory in both the UK and the US.

I don't yet have an answer from the US, but here is the response from the UK:

"Hi, Kerry,

Your agent is correct, DP41114R is a new reference to us. It is on order with our factory and we are waiting for the first delivery to arrive.

It is expected to arrive next week. Your agent should be able to order them for you and they will be sent as soon as they arrive here.

Although the pads DP41114 and DP4836 look very similar, the clips on the back are different sizes and in slightly different positions.

I believe that it would be very expensive to ship pads direct to you. Unfortunately I do not know transit times.

Best regards

Bob Sketchley"

Seems strange that they would introduce a new design for a car that's already up to 8 years old - but maybe they are working on a backlog of designs covering cars of all vintages?

My original plan was to order the DP4836's as they look so similar and the dimensions are almost identical. But this suggests they're not going to fit so I'll wait for the 41114's to come on line.

The wear sensor issue is another source of confusion. The line drawings of the various pads in one of the (several) ebc catalogues I was able to access online clearly showed a wear sensor lead attached to BOTH the part numbers I listed above. Yet the wear sensor wasn't introduced until the 1998.5 update of the b5 model, so the illustration must be wrong.

And I was beginning to think it was early-onset Alzheimer's.....

Thanks for your interest!

jeremy@matrix
05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Jeremy

Thanks for your response and greetings from Down Under.

As I was getting more and more confused with the conflicting information I was receiving, I emailed the factory in both the UK and the US.

I don't yet have an answer from the US, but here is the response from the UK:

"Hi, Kerry,

Your agent is correct, DP41114R is a new reference to us. It is on order with our factory and we are waiting for the first delivery to arrive.

It is expected to arrive next week. Your agent should be able to order them for you and they will be sent as soon as they arrive here.

Although the pads DP41114 and DP4836 look very similar, the clips on the back are different sizes and in slightly different positions.

I believe that it would be very expensive to ship pads direct to you. Unfortunately I do not know transit times.

Best regards

Bob Sketchley"

Seems strange that they would introduce a new design for a car that's already up to 8 years old - but maybe they are working on a backlog of designs covering cars of all vintages?

My original plan was to order the DP4836's as they look so similar and the dimensions are almost identical. But this suggests they're not going to fit so I'll wait for the 41114's to come on line.

The wear sensor issue is another source of confusion. The line drawings of the various pads in one of the (several) ebc catalogues I was able to access online clearly showed a wear sensor lead attached to BOTH the part numbers I listed above. Yet the wear sensor wasn't introduced until the 1998.5 update of the b5 model, so the illustration must be wrong.

And I was beginning to think it was early-onset Alzheimer's.....

Thanks for your interest!

Greetings mate,

It seems like there's some things to iron out with them yet.

LMK if I can help with anything else.

kermac
05-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Greetings, fellow Ozzie-speaker! And thanks for your advice.

This sort of thing must make your life hell!

Wish we had someone Down Under with your depth of knowledge. I've been waiting weeks for the Bilstein agent to re-valve and return the shocks that were supposed to be properly set up when first supplied. As received from him initially - following several conversations about my needs and style of driving (spirited street, some track days), they were clearly straight out of the box and softer than the oem Sports shocks! They were downright bloody dangerous with my pre-loved (and well settled) Eibachs. Of course he's not the one paying to have the shocks removed and reinstalled (twice) - fortunately I kept the oems otherwise I would have had no transport for the past six weeks.

If you've managed to stay sane through all these frustrations, you're a better man than me. Mate.

ratty
05-03-2007, 05:21 AM
'soorite Kezzaaa,

I've bin teachin' young Jeremy a few Ozzieisms on the side so we've got someone who can translate seppo to strain.

[up]

jeremy@matrix
05-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Greetings, fellow Ozzie-speaker! And thanks for your advice.

This sort of thing must make your life hell!

Wish we had someone Down Under with your depth of knowledge. I've been waiting weeks for the Bilstein agent to re-valve and return the shocks that were supposed to be properly set up when first supplied. As received from him initially - following several conversations about my needs and style of driving (spirited street, some track days), they were clearly straight out of the box and softer than the oem Sports shocks! They were downright bloody dangerous with my pre-loved (and well settled) Eibachs. Of course he's not the one paying to have the shocks removed and reinstalled (twice) - fortunately I kept the oems otherwise I would have had no transport for the past six weeks.

If you've managed to stay sane through all these frustrations, you're a better man than me. Mate.

We have associate down your way mate, fellow by the name of Lucas. He's the GIAC distributor. I've sent him this link to contact you.

jeremy@matrix
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
We have associate down your way mate, fellow by the name of Lucas. He's the GIAC distributor. I've sent him this link to contact you.

Seems you're already chums... [up]

kermac
05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
'soorite Kezzaaa,

I've bin teachin' young Jeremy a few Ozzieisms on the side so we've got someone who can translate seppo to strain.

[up]
My God Dave - you do get around[:D] I was just reading a couple of posts of yours on VWVortex last night. I don't normally read it as it seems to be frequented by young chaps of around 12 years of age who wear baseball caps back to front and talk a language unknown to anthropology [rolleyes]

But I had a phone call during the evening from a certain young Melburnian guru and chip shop owner who could be heard over the phone rubbing his hands with glee at the turn of events on both this and the Golfmkv forum. It seems that APR was copping a bit of flack, but this was more on account of not-very-clever customer support than the product itself, and they had trotted out their main marketing man to hose things down a bit.

Anyway, it was good to see you sticking your bib in where wise men fear to tread [:p]

I've finally heard from the EBC importer that the Yellow Stuff pads I'm after will be here early June if all goes to plan. I haven't made up my mind whether to take a chance on this or to go with Red Stuff as I know they're available. Any thoughts? Anyone? [confused]

Oh and well done for putting Jeremy through the Elementary Oz course. Did you remember to mention that's as far as we go? There's no Intermediate or Advanced course (see remarks on VWVortex above) ?? [:D]

kermac
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Seems you're already chums... [up]
Yus. We go back a bit. In fact, to when Lucas's car produced only around 400 hp and he threw me the keys and changed my life.

It's not that his car was all that loud, but I noted as we idled past my car parked in the parking lot, the motion sensor on my car activated the alarm [eek]

We got though a few bottles of red that night, then sank a bottle of port to cement the friendship. As you do. Just a little nightcap, really [headbang]

Lucas fixed me up with a Stage 2 upgrade, but I eventually became bored with that. He's been promising a chip for a GT28RS (Stage 3+) for about a year now, and such is my faith in the man that I'm still waiting patiently. He can be a bit gruff at times, but he sure knows his electronics. And he sticks by his customers, even if he keeps 'em waiting sometimes. I guess if they get fed up they go to the opposition......

Funny the people you bump into in this game! Small world......

Anyway, thanks for following up Jeremy. Just don't believe a word Sir Ratty says about me [drive]

jeremy@matrix
05-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Yus. We go back a bit. In fact, to when Lucas's car produced only around 400 hp and he threw me the keys and changed my life.

It's not that his car was all that loud, but I noted as we idled past my car parked in the parking lot, the motion sensor on my car activated the alarm [eek]

We got though a few bottles of red that night, then sank a bottle of port to cement the friendship. As you do. Just a little nightcap, really [headbang]

Lucas fixed me up with a Stage 2 upgrade, but I eventually became bored with that. He's been promising a chip for a GT28RS (Stage 3+) for about a year now, and such is my faith in the man that I'm still waiting patiently. He can be a bit gruff at times, but he sure knows his electronics. And he sticks by his customers, even if he keeps 'em waiting sometimes. I guess if they get fed up they go to the opposition......

Funny the people you bump into in this game! Small world......

Anyway, thanks for following up Jeremy. Just don't believe a word Sir Ratty says about me [drive]

Anytime mate. [drive] [az]

kermac
05-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Anytime mate. [drive] [az]

You're really getting the hang of the language, aren't you? You've obviously seen through all the grammar lessons to the underlying principle: put "mate' after everything and you're already a fluent Aussie speaker.

Well done [:D] Ratty's a good teacher. I'd tell you he's a good driver too but that would cause his already oversize head to swell even further

ratty
05-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Anyway, it was good to see you sticking your bib in where wise men fear to tread [:p]

Isn't that what the 'tex is for? [:D] Too many angry young men to bait, I just can't leave it alone. Had a bit of a chat with Lucas via IM there, hopefully we are all good. I managed to get booked into an Autism conference on the day that Seb is putting the drags on [headbang]. Might see about that trip to Melbourne - visit a couple of mates - after the next Wakefield day (1 July).

Jeremy: I have to wait to see if the leasing company can do a transfer, I'll let you know about the brakes hopefully on Monday.

jeremy@matrix
05-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Isn't that what the 'tex is for? [:D] Too many angry young men to bait, I just can't leave it alone. Had a bit of a chat with Lucas via IM there, hopefully we are all good. I managed to get booked into an Autism conference on the day that Seb is putting the drags on [headbang]. Might see about that trip to Melbourne - visit a couple of mates - after the next Wakefield day (1 July).

Jeremy: I have to wait to see if the leasing company can do a transfer, I'll let you know about the brakes hopefully on Monday.

Sounds good mate. Cheerio!

jeremy@matrix
05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
You're really getting the hang of the language, aren't you? You've obviously seen through all the grammar lessons to the underlying principle: put "mate' after everything and you're already a fluent Aussie speaker.

Well done [:D] Ratty's a good teacher. I'd tell you he's a good driver too but that would cause his already oversize head to swell even further

I've been talking to Lucas for a long time.... [;)]