PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai luxury cars are gonna come on strong

TheBlueMartin
04-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Five years ago, I wouldnt have belived it....but they are gonna do it:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/22/autos/hyundai_genesis/index.htm

A6 4.2, 550i, E550, GS430, M45 all targeted. At $30,000, they'll pull if off if in a big way. And they're using the ZF 6-speed auto tranny to do it, same as Audi, BMW, and Benz.

quadaxel
04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
not bad......but its still a hyundai

TheBlueMartin
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
not bad......but its still a hyundai

People said that about Lexus in the early 90's...they were still Toyotas. Now Lexus dominates sales in the Luxury market. It'll take time, but Hyundai will take a big slice of the market

Kievskiy
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
^That is so true.

redline_redline
04-30-2007, 08:17 PM
my dad has the Hyundai Azera. car is inexpensive, extremely luxurious in respect to space and its comfortable seats, and its got like 263 hp. he loves it, and i think its a great car as well.

and saying "it's still a Hyundai" is just the dumbest thing people ever say. that makes absolutely no sense.

kovachian
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
not bad......but its still a hyundaiThat is precisely the mindset of the buyers this car is intended for. Pompous badge whores need not apply. http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8480/fingers0081tw9.gif

hurahn
05-28-2007, 02:52 PM
That's what people said about Honda and Toyota back in the day. No they dont' make the most exciting cars but they're definately not in danger of going out of business anytime soon.

toaster
05-29-2007, 08:08 PM
hey, i'll put my money on any car that ain't american.

aytheory
05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
That is precisely the mindset of the buyers this car is intended for. Pompous badge whores need not apply. http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8480/fingers0081tw9.gif

"What most luxury car shoppers are after - whether they will tell you this or not -is prestige," said Nerad.

The buyers of a large Hyundai car could be "the group that can't afford whatever they want but who still want luxury," he said.

He points to the Chrysler 300 as a car currently that appeals to that group.

"[The 300] didn't appeal to traditional luxury buyers," Brauer said. "It appealed to nonluxury buyers who liked the idea of getting some luxury"

I love the underdog more then anybody else - but people buy budget luxury is because they can't afford the more expensive or high end cars - I bet some people will pay a bit more to get a crappy low end 3 series then pay less and get more of a car.

The people who buy high end cars for their esteem because they like to sniff their own farts - will never buy a Hyundai - even if it was a 7 series with a Hyundai badge.

The engine is really crappy come to think of it - how does a V8 produce only around 300 hp. When you have V8 luxury now producing 400 to 500 hp

If I needed a budget sports car i would get a ford focus zx5 - i could have gotten a new one lowest model for 9500 out the door. Instead an A4 only because it was turbo charged - and the price of s13 and 14 even though excellent cars the inflation rate for them made them not worth it - stupid drift movies fucked up the market by skyrocketing demand.

tonggi
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
u guys see that new kia that is suppose to compete with the TT?

I liek the way it looks but its stilla Kia. : (

A4_Mike
06-06-2007, 06:57 AM
u guys see that new kia that is suppose to compete with the TT?

I liek the way it looks but its stilla Kia. : (
Link?

AudiLoco18
06-11-2007, 11:46 AM
To All Who Say That Its Still A Hyundai Or Its Still A Kia. Is Because Thats What You Hear Everyone Say. I Bet Hyundai Will Dominate The Market Once The Luxury Line Comes Out. Like They Said Before About Lexus. Right Now Lexus Is Killing The Competition On Everything. But You Dont Hear Ppl Say Its Still A Toyota Now Do You?

TheBlueMartin
06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
But You Dont Hear Ppl Say Its Still A Toyota Now Do You?

I hear it all the time, but its always ment as a good thing.

Alan
06-12-2007, 11:25 AM
To All Who Say That Its Still A Hyundai Or Its Still A Kia. Is Because Thats What You Hear Everyone Say. I Bet Hyundai Will Dominate The Market Once The Luxury Line Comes Out. Like They Said Before About Lexus. Right Now Lexus Is Killing The Competition On Everything. But You Dont Hear Ppl Say Its Still A Toyota Now Do You?

Why do you type every word in caps.

Anyways, if its badged as Hyundai, it wont take off as well IMO. The HUGE difference is that Toyota made a luxury brand with a different name. People dont associate cheap, reliable, "nice" Toyota with luxurious, expensive, lexus.

Whena bargain brand car, good in its own respect, creates a car thats not in its "league" a lot of change in Public image of the brand has to occur, which wouldn't occur if they made a luxury brand.

matt_mcmhn
06-25-2007, 03:23 PM
If Hyundai thinks they're going to take market share away from BMW and Mercedes, or any other luxury brand, they're deluding themselves. People who can afford a BMW aren't going to just switch cars because this ones cheaper, especially because it's a Hyundai

Tiesto
06-26-2007, 09:50 PM
If I were them I'd form a new sport/luxury division first with a new name. The word Hyundai almost triggers a slightly nautious feeling in my stomach when I hear it.

That's because Hyundai isn't chasing typical luxury car buyers, Krafcik said. Instead, the Genesis is for those who eschew paying money for a badge, he said.

"We call these guys the confident non-conformist," said Krafcik.

I call them Walmart customers.

Four Play
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
The engine is really crappy come to think of it - how does a V8 produce only around 300 hp. When you have V8 luxury now producing 400 to 500 hp

How does a TT V6 make only 250hp when you have the 3000GT(some of them 17 years old now) making 300hp? Dont get too caught in the numbers, just because it only puts out so much isnt an indicator of its potential...

aytheory
06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
How does a TT V6 make only 250hp when you have the 3000GT(some of them 17 years old now) making 300hp? Dont get too caught in the numbers, just because it only puts out so much isnt an indicator of its potential...

the stock one made 222 on the V6 - and the twin turbo V6 made 300. The audi tt has always been complaints of a crappy engine and was never enough power to compete with the roadsters. The potential I am referring too is how fun the car will be on power - not how successful the car is going to be.

dukez
06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
The 300C is the poor mans Bentley, everyone knows that. haha

Four Play
06-29-2007, 11:44 AM
the stock one made 222 on the V6 - and the twin turbo V6 made 300. The audi tt has always been complaints of a crappy engine and was never enough power to compete with the roadsters. The potential I am referring too is how fun the car will be on power - not how successful the car is going to be.

Gotcha, and I was referring to the S4 in my comparison, not the TT [;)]

bz-A4-d
07-02-2007, 05:44 PM
its too early to tell but it will all come down to how they will market them self and it will take a few generations of cars for them to be become known as a luxury car makers and just one car isnt going to do it. in reality however people see Hyundai and Kia as low end cars for people that cant afford any better or dont need the prestige of the well-known cars, it will take time and lots of money to change the mindset of the people

b6onboost
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
The Hyundai will be bought by those who value practicality over prestige. Anything with the Hyundai brand name will never attain 'luxury' status. Thats why toyota, honda, and nissan were smart and rebranded with lexus,acura, and infiniti.

Lexus has done a great job branding itself as one of the best luxury marks. Something that Acura and Infiniti have yet to do...although I beleive in another 5-10 years Infiniti vs Lexus will be like BMW vs MB.

tike0rz
07-04-2007, 11:35 AM
The Hyundai will be bought by those who value practicality over prestige. Anything with the Hyundai brand name will never attain 'luxury' status. Thats why toyota, honda, and nissan were smart and rebranded with lexus,acura, and infiniti.

Lexus has done a great job branding itself as one of the best luxury marks. Something that Acura and Infiniti have yet to do...although I beleive in another 5-10 years Infiniti vs Lexus will be like BMW vs MB.

Well put. You bring up a good point. If Hyundai were to rebadge their supposed 'luxury' cars, as a different name, I think we'd have something here. Most people already know Hyundai as cheap and minimal. Cant change that overnight.

Nev
07-08-2007, 05:25 AM
"What most luxury car shoppers are after - whether they will tell you this or not -is prestige," said Nerad.

The buyers of a large Hyundai car could be "the group that can't afford whatever they want but who still want luxury," he said.

He points to the Chrysler 300 as a car currently that appeals to that group.

"[The 300] didn't appeal to traditional luxury buyers," Brauer said. "It appealed to nonluxury buyers who liked the idea of getting some luxury"

I love the underdog more then anybody else - but people buy budget luxury is because they can't afford the more expensive or high end cars - I bet some people will pay a bit more to get a crappy low end 3 series then pay less and get more of a car.

The people who buy high end cars for their esteem because they like to sniff their own farts - will never buy a Hyundai - even if it was a 7 series with a Hyundai badge.

If I needed a budget sports car i would get a ford focus zx5 - i could have gotten a new one lowest model for 9500 out the door. Instead an A4 only because it was turbo charged - and the price of s13 and 14 even though excellent cars the inflation rate for them made them not worth it - stupid drift movies fucked up the market by skyrocketing demand.

thats cuz ur an idiot

ur probably the kind of guy that will buy a 150hp mercedes benz 180 just cuz it has the three pointed star

sheek
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I can't believe all these people here driving Audis and trying to defend hyundais. Basically, this is how I'm gunna put it, I don't care if it's a 7 series if it has the hyundai logo I ain't buying it. And all you people saying "That's what people said about lexus too back in the day" well I still wouldn't buy a lexus, it's a severely overpriced toyota. When you talk lexus money, you're talking bmw, audi, mercedes money and I think for anyone with half a brain the choice is obvious. I live in Canada and I went all the way to Florida to buy my audi and drove it back 27 hours straight since it was cheaper there and I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a student budget. I'm happy that even my 97 a4 looks nicer on the road than any year kia or hyundai. So feel free and call me an insecure badge whore or whatever else it is you wanna say but the bottom line is I'm not one to settle for things in life and I work hard so that one day I'll walk into the dealership and buy what I want and I know right now I don't want no asian replica cars that do nothing but rip off bmw and mercedes styling unless I'm buying them for 1/10th the price like a replica rolex which is what they are worth.

muffinman
08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I can't believe all these people here driving Audis and trying to defend hyundais. Basically, this is how I'm gunna put it, I don't care if it's a 7 series if it has the hyundai logo I ain't buying it. And all you people saying "That's what people said about lexus too back in the day" well I still wouldn't buy a lexus, it's a severely overpriced toyota. When you talk lexus money, you're talking bmw, audi, mercedes money and I think for anyone with half a brain the choice is obvious. I live in Canada and I went all the way to Florida to buy my audi and drove it back 27 hours straight since it was cheaper there and I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a student budget. I'm happy that even my 97 a4 looks nicer on the road than any year kia or hyundai. So feel free and call me an insecure badge whore or whatever else it is you wanna say but the bottom line is I'm not one to settle for things in life and I work hard so that one day I'll walk into the dealership and buy what I want and I know right now I don't want no asian replica cars that do nothing but rip off bmw and mercedes styling unless I'm buying them for 1/10th the price like a replica rolex which is what they are worth.

Ouch.. someone's a little defensive today. My parents own the new Lexus LS460L and I guarantee you it's miles beyond just a "severely overpriced Toyota". By your logic, an Audi is just a "severely overpriced VW". Wake up and smell the coffee, the world's growing / catching up and you're being left behind because of your pig-headedness.

I love my Audi, and other German cars in general, but I don't let blind loyalty dictate my purchasing decisions.

muffinman
08-07-2007, 10:01 AM
And uh, buddy, I don't know how old you are or where youre from but in the U.S. the Lexus brand name has more cache than the Audi (Audi really needs to amp up their marketing, but that's another topic for another time).

Damn, next thing you know, those "asian replicas" that rip off Mercedes are going to be copying their reliability [rolleyes]

And don't lie to yourself - have fun with your 97 A4 but stop knocking on things you can't afford.

sheek
08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Well I'm glad your asian replicas have been doing such a great job winning F1 and le mans seasons. I'm also glad they won 7 out of 12 best engine awards this year. . .oh wait that was BMW. But I mean hey, I guess a hundred years of automotive excellence doesn't really matter and I'm sure when kia adds some mercedes tail lights to go with their nicely copied headlights they'll have the ultimate in luxury driving experience. I think the only justification for buying hondas and toyotas is if you're on the market for a reliable and economical family car to get you from point A to point B but if you're spending big bucks on a car then there is definitely no need for such things.

muffinman
08-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Well I'm glad your asian replicas have been doing such a great job winning F1 and le mans seasons. I'm also glad they won 7 out of 12 best engine awards this year. . .oh wait that was BMW. But I mean hey, I guess a hundred years of automotive excellence doesn't really matter and I'm sure when kia adds some mercedes tail lights to go with their nicely copied headlights they'll have the ultimate in luxury driving experience. I think the only justification for buying hondas and toyotas is if you're on the market for a reliable and economical family car to get you from point A to point B but if you're spending big bucks on a car then there is definitely no need for such things.

Because you know, you'll be flying down I-5 at 200 mph, right? And because you know, whether my car company won the Le Mans really factors into my buying decision, right (HOLD UP, are you telling me this Infiniti G35 *never* won a F1 season?)? [rolleyes]

"I drive a new Lexus IS350 but man, I wish my car had '100 years of automotive excellence' like your 97 A4 does."

How do you compare a Toyota econobox to a BMW formula racer? You weren't talking about Toyotas earlier, but rather Lexuses. Does a Lexus not provide a luxury experience? ... and uhh, who won the Best Engine Award the other 6 years?

sheek
08-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Listen buddy, I think you're taking this a little too personally here, I wasn't trying to pick on your dad's lexus specifically. In fact out of all asian cars I like lexus the best by far but I'm just saying I can't justify paying the same price for a lexus as a prestigious german car. I'm obviously not comparing a F1 racer to a econobox I'm just saying if I'm paying the same price for 2 cars I'd much rather buy one from the company that has a hundred years of tried and true automotive excellence over a company that has a few recent years of solid reliability review.

Back to the topic of the thread though, I love how I'm "knocking on things I can't afford", sort of how all of the hyundai and kia marketing these days is basically "hyundai so and so, 20 grand cheaper than the land rover. . .but a few less cup holders" or "kia so and so, faster 0-60 than the bmw so and so and 20 grand cheaper". If they had a decent product it would speak for itself instead of having to constantly try to prove that they are on the same level when they clearly aren't

B7AudiA4
08-10-2007, 03:43 AM
I think it'll look like a great car. Well, probably imitated from one of the current cars, but the name will make it look eh...
Won't be a bad car actually.

tlcaudi
08-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Hyundai's have undoubtedly come a long way in the last 10 years. Anyone who knocks them, truly hasn't been in one. Now, I am not saying as far as overall appeal they remotely rank with our cars, but overall they aren't as bad as people assume. The Sonota sells like hotcakes, especially used, for a reason. Around 250hp, decent materials inside, smooth ride, good acceleration, good gas mileage, etc. Yes, it is definitely cookie cutter, etc. This new line of "luxury" cars I don't believe will pull buyers from the luxury brands. What it will do, is sway the buyers of upper level Camry's or Accords, or Domestics into the Hyundai showroom to see what the fuss is about. I mean, for 30k, you could get a fully loaded up Accord, with every option, but it still wouldn't match this thing in the looks, nor power dept. I don't believe that Hyundai management is looking at stealing BMW, MB, Audi buyers.

Trv06kviper
08-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I did think when they picked on Land Rover that was cute. I went to the Land Rover Driving school a couple of times and knowing what I know now about Land Rover's It makes me laugh that they even think they're in the same field as a Land Rover.
They're excellent alternatives but they're no replacement. I agree Lexus/Toyota did do a good job of doing some nice things, and yes they are selling. Comparing sales numbers though you have to look at why ? Maybe cuz all the BMW, Audi, Mercedes ...etc ppl still have their car and don't plan on buying a new one because that will last them a long time. Just food for thought. German cars seem to age better versus Lexus and various co.'s..etc. They don't get that 'dated' look 2 years after you get it.

GQ//S4
08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
There are quite a few large holes in the arguments going on in this thread, which is really degrading the entire point to the discussion.

Since Hyundai debuted with their cheap commercials (and products) 10 years ago, it seems that they have made many large steps to making themselves a more respectable brand to the American buyer. That is the idea behind this discussion. The discussion now is over whether or not we think they can succeed with their marketing campaign in the direction that they are heading, and whether or not we think they can pull off gaining the respect of the American public.

Those arguing for Hyundai: The brand has indeed come a long ways in 10 years, giong from hollow, plastic laden cars raveged with reliability issues to a fairly common car. They do seem to have worked out many of the production kinks, and have started including better parts than they had in the past. However, although they have made these crucial steps, they still have yet to capture the details.

Some of you are scratching your heads wondering what I'm talking about, so I'll elaborate. The "details" I'm referring to is quality, fit and finish, reliability, and one that has eluded them the most, resale value. If To be a valued purchase as a new/used car, the car manufacturer must show that they can hold their value! Bmw, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Infiniti, and Nissan have all done this spectacularly well.

While writing this, it comes to my thoughts that given $35k to spend on a car, what would I buy? If I'm honest, a new Hyundai, even their very top of the line model, would never even cross my mind, not even for a test drive. A very lightly used Bmw, Mercedes, Audi, or Lexus can all be had for that price. And if you are one of those insisting on buying new, how much did your brand new a4 run you, not many run $40k.

So in the end, I believe they're light years ahead of where they used to be, and they are making great progress, but they aren't there yet, and I don't predict them being there for another 10 years. They just don't have their product up to provide what I would define as a great driving experiance.

To those arguing against Hyundai: Stop using the "Its a Hyundai" arguement. Its far too much of a blanket statement, and you are more than likely you aren't seeing the big picture of the progression in the timeline of cars.

Don't come down on Hyundai just because your car has 4 rings on the front. Some of them are nicer than some Audi's inside. Some of them will probably drive better than some Audi's too. Please don't be some stuck up yuppie who thinks he is amazing for being a kid driving an Audi, its just a damn car, buy something you love to drive, not because it gives you "bragging rights", you'll only look like a tool. Venting aside, Hyundai will never be a premier auto manufacturer though. Buyers who fit in the category of anti-Hyundai are those who want more than heated seats and a "wood-like" trim. I am one of those people. I only bought my car because of genuine leather everywhere, real wood, and power + awd + 6-speed. Did I mention the handling and feature list? I want accurate steering, a solid feel, the perfect driving postion, seats that are comfortable for hours, all-weather handling, a smooth powerband, ext.... But I LOVE to drive. Those who buy Hyundai are usually not as discerning, and just want a good daily driver for a little less money than the established brands. Those who buy a $30k Hyundai want all of that, but with a touch of luxery for less money. I wouldn't do it, or I wouldn't be on this forum, but to each their own.

exorcet
08-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Hyundai's are great. My mom had an '02 VW Beetle that was a BITCH for me (yes me) to maintain. I made her trade it in for a new Hyundai. She (and I) couldn't be happier.

I will probably get my fiancee the new Veracruz 7-seater - it looks as good as the old Lexus RX and better than the new, IMO.

For the money, they are great cars. Sure, the Sonata's doors don't 'thwump' like an Audi/BMW/Mercedes when you close them, but you can get 3-4 sonata's for the price of one new a4.

for budget minded, smart consumers, it's about the best you can get for your money. obviously not a car for those with excess cash who don't mind paying a premium for name and amenities. personally, i enjoy wiping my ass with hundreds just so i can enjoy the road feel and interior aesthetics Audi has to offer. Is it financially smart? No. Does it make me happy? Yes.

on that note, i will never look at 'hyundai' as an "inferior" vehicle. It's all relative. Not every car owner is an 'enthusiast' like we are here. To some it is just transportation.

Tiesto
08-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry but Audi offers much more than just a prestigious badge. *cough* QUATTRO *cough*

1SICKAUDI
08-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Go Korea!! :)

Hyundai is improving a lot with their cars nowadays like the new Azera.Their new Luxury cars just might dominate the market with its price, comfort, room, and best warranty. Hyundai's are popping up a lot in the streets more than before. I think Hyundai is a great car company and provide the best cars in most classes
for the money. A lot of guys belittle Hyundai only because of what everyone says or the "Hyundai" image that they see in their minds.

TheBlueMartin
08-28-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm sorry but Audi offers much more than just a prestigious badge. *cough* QUATTRO *cough*

Sorry, but current B/C/D platform cars have outlived their edge in the AWD market by having their engines hang so far out in front.
I love my car, but theres no way I can knock a new competitor that's figured out how to make a quality product at 3/5 the price. I may never buy one, but its still gonna be a force in the sales market.

pyro
08-28-2007, 06:41 PM
i'd buy one for sure.

dreamcar=rs4
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
if a japanese car company made a v6 with 100 hp/liter, im sure many here would consider buying it

lrg8683
02-25-2008, 04:09 AM
I bet some people will pay a bit more to get a crappy low end 3 series then pay less and get more of a car.

that's true, there's lots of people who would rather drive a 323 than a car the equivalent to a 5 series because of the BMW badge, and i'd tell you those people are idiots.. there's people that would rather drive 323's over an S4 because of the badge.. and yes.. those people are idiots.

FireWire
02-25-2008, 04:50 AM
i heard they were making a coupe or sports version of the genesis sedan , like Audi's S range or Merc's AMG vehicles.

considering this is Hyundai's first V8 , 375 bhp and 333 lb-ft of torque is pretty damn impressive. why don't you guys judge the car after its been released , the cars not even out from production yet and already the flaming begins.

AudiAdi
02-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I like the Sonatas... much better looking than its competition. And I think the Genesis will be a great car as well.

Jurjen
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
The Genesis doesn't even have the traditional Hyundia badge on it. (atleast the models at the autoshows didnt). It looks to be right up there with Lexus and Infiniti.....but Hyundia dealers aren't even close. They make Audi - Vw dealers look good!

cerfus
02-25-2008, 05:25 PM
And on the note of luxury cars having V8's pumping out 500 hp, most people would like that but not the 10 mpg you would get. The V8 getting 300 hp is a way to keep it economical but still being able to say "well its got a V8 in it" a lot of people don't want a V6 because they think its wimpy and should be pushed aside, having a V8 is just one more minor luxury addition. And I think that Hyundai's Genesis will compete viciously against Merc's and BMW's, the fact that it will have a different badge wont stop people from thinking, hmm.. Better MPG, about 20-50k cheaper and its just as luxurious and geuss what? I don't have to sell the damn thing before it hits 50k and the bills start getting stupid expensive. This car appeals to people like 300C owners, except more, from what we see here it looks like a Lexus and will compete with all the German and other luxury Japanese cars to form its own sort of league. This car seems like its going to do well however I do agree with Tiesto on his mentioning of the terrible name Hyundai, maybe if it was just Venston or Oriche (or-ish) or something english and old age sounding, it would do even better.

this car looks very nice In my mind:
http://haider.unik2.googlepages.com/2007HyundaiGenesisConcept.jpg/2007HyundaiGenesisConcept-full.jpg
http://haider.unik2.googlepages.com/2007HyundaiGenesisConceptBack.jpg/2007HyundaiGenesisConceptBack-full.jpg

And as you can see it still rocks the hyundai badge..

tdn
02-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Which is why I think it'll be very interesting to see how Hyundai does, considering every other make re branded. I'm excited to see how this plays out in 5-10 years. Whether they do well or not, no one really knows and I think it's hilarious some of you are getting very defensive.. but I think it's a bold move and I'll have to give credit to hyundai for taking it (considering it's not my money involved).

By the way, I think it's already Infiniti vs Lexus.. 5-10 years is too much. I've driven many of both cars and Infiniti is already up there with Lexus, I say give it a few more years and that fact will be much more visible. Infiniti has already taken a good chunk of the Lexus market in urban areas, imo.

Tommy K
02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
It looks just like a better design of the Toyota Camery however I do think that it does look good. I wouldn't mind taking a look at it but I would have to see more of its features that it comes with. I already like the 300+ hp now it just comes down to if its made well and if it can even compete with the big boys of luxury.

RAUDIS6
02-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I bought the wife, one of those "Toyota" LS460's, it is an incredible car.

I saw the new Hyndai at an auto show, and it is prety impressive, but I will stick to being an Audi junkie for now, talk to me again in 2-3 years. LOL!!!

b00st
02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
i'd rather have the worst of the best, than the best of the worst.

granted the car hasn't even come out yet....so i guess its still in the air. but the previous statement still applies.

AElucky83
03-01-2008, 02:50 PM
hmm the car doesnt look bad thats for sure..

ProOnThaSnow
03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Hyundais and Kias are "Throw-away" cars. You drive them to around 100,000 miles, everything starts to fail, so you throw them away because they don't retain their value, and you move on to the next one. I will never own a kia or hyundai because of the work I have done on them when I was a mechanic. They are cheap, poorly built vehicles in my opinion. You feel like you are riding in something thrown together by a 4 yr old. Maybe they can make a hyundai "feel" more luxurious, but IMO, they never will be.

Hamann
03-02-2008, 07:06 PM
People said that about Lexus in the early 90's...they were still Toyotas. Now Lexus dominates sales in the Luxury market. It'll take time, but Hyundai will take a big slice of the market

Toyota wasn't Hyundai...toyota had years of reliability in the early 90's, something Hyundai hasn't accomplished...poor comparison.

Hyundai's are garbage...

Hamann
03-02-2008, 07:10 PM

saying "it's still a toyota" is a compliment. saying "it's still a Hyundai" is not.

All Toyota had to do with the lexus was prove that it's luxurious...didn't need to prove anything else...toyota was already a household name, very solid in reliability and resale value. Hyundai, on the other hand, is consistently the worst resale car in America...why? They need to do a better job with their product for a long time...something they have not done.

I'll say it again..."It's still a HYUNDAI!" LOL

gt8
03-04-2008, 03:05 AM
hah! lexus being a good car... LOL... good one

there is a reason european cars are so popular... most everything the japanese put into their cars is copied from the europeans... the 'luxury' japanese brands are starting to come up with ridiculous 'improvements' like the self-parking feature on the newer toyoxus and i can't wait till that system starts acting up and toyoxus starts paying lawsuits out

oh yeah and audi is a slightly upgraded vw... but so what... i'd take a vw over a honda or toyota any day...

sbghms
03-06-2008, 12:49 AM
In MY opinion I would never buy a Hundai or Kia. I havn't drivin one or anything, but it's probably just a tin can with some chrome and hubcaps. People are talking about how you're only paying for badges and whatnot, but there is a difference in the workmanship between the Koreans and Germans. The Koreans will make everything as cheap as possible and cover it up with some cheap plastics. And on the other hand, if you look at Audi/ BMW there is a definate attention to detail that the Koreans can't and wont achieve. I mean on an Audi, everything is painted, even the parts you cant see. I dont think Kia does that. On an Audi all of the seams match up and are nice and tight. I dont think Kia is that good. I just think that the detail found on German cars will never be found on a Hundai or Kia. That is MY opinion.

FireWire
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
well.. hyundai are budget cars of course the interior won't be as nice. not to mention bmw and audi have been in the auto making market for ages , you have to start out somewhere.

give hyundai time.

The Koreans will make everything as cheap as possible [down]

b00st
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
hah! lexus being a good car... LOL... good one

there is a reason european cars are so popular... most everything the japanese put into their cars is copied from the europeans... the 'luxury' japanese brands are starting to come up with ridiculous 'improvements' like the self-parking feature on the newer toyoxus and i can't wait till that system starts acting up and toyoxus starts paying lawsuits out

oh yeah and audi is a slightly upgraded vw... but so what... i'd take a vw over a honda or toyota any day...

first off the first car to come with the self parking feature was the benz S550. and the follow feature where the car is supposed to follow the car in front of it and if it slams on the brakes this system is supposed to do the same as well, so i guess it can happen to euros too...we'll see what happens when the system starts acting up as you say. Reviewed by TOP GEAR and they make a point of mentioning that BENZ was the first. BENZ was the first with ABS. i'll give them credit i drive euro too but lexus isn't bad car by any means. don't care if its a premium brand of toyota...then audi is of VW and porsche. and lambo is owned by audi.

second. lexus & buick tied this past year is one of the best made cars. fewest problems per 100. were was BMW or AUDI or BENZ on that list.

GQ//S4
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Holy fucking necro-bump. I was about to post a responce to the first half of this, only to realize that I already had...... IN AUGUST!

Hyundai is on a roll. Period.

gsxtasee
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
"

maybe you should checkyour stats:

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/Specifications.aspx?SelectedTabIndex=1&VehicleId=44560&ManufacturerId=5&VehicleClass=NewCar&ModelId=899&Path=Research&YearId=2007&SelectionHistory=44560%7c22756%7c90504%7c0%7c0%7c

new 750i comes with 360HP and 360TQ... it's a V8 luxury car...

RAUDIS6
03-11-2008, 01:46 AM
I have seen Hyundai come along way, and myself I have become an Audi Junkie, have now owned 5, with 2 being in my stable, my C5 S6 Avant and my Stage 3 B5 S4. Before my Audi craziness as the wife puts it. I had a new 1995 SC400, traded for a new 2003 LS430, and now a new 2008 LS460L. She drives it more then I do, but I tell you the LS460L is an amazing machine, and the trim is second to none. One thing I can say about all 3 Lexus' that I can not say with any of my Audi's is they were the most reliable car that I have ever owned, not nearly as fun as the B5 S4 though!!!

FastB7S4
03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
The Genesis sedan is actually really nice. I saw it at the Philly Auto Show. It does have the traditional Hyundai H in the back but not in the front. It's loaded with high end options and a Lexicon 17 speaker stereo only elsewhere found in a Rolls Royce.

According to Hyundai, they are not trying to market to those who are in the market for a BMW 5 or 7, Mercedes E or S, etc. They are trying to compete with the new Pontiac G8, the Toyota Avalon, the Chrysler 300 C, and other cars in that class. They know they will never be able to change the thinking of the higher end buyer who cars more about prestige than value.

I was once like all the narrow-minded people who says, "it's a Hyundai so it's trash." Looking back, that's just ignorant and arrogant thinking. I seriously considered getting this car when it came out and even put my name on their mailing list to be contacted by the dealer when they got it.

A4natomical
03-28-2008, 12:48 AM
i saw a genesis about a week or so ago. my reaction was, whoaa. thats nice, what is that?
i'm really into this car.
the only thing i would criticize about it, is that it took many design cues from
all the other top lux brands.

FTYAVANT
04-12-2008, 08:24 AM
After reading everyones post, most forgot one thing, Audi, BMW, Toyota (lexus), and Honda are all being compared with a hyundia, in some sort of light, BUT alot of re-engineering comes through motorsports developement, Hyundia has very little of this compared to these other brands. Motorsports plays a big role in which company I support and purchase cars from. Thats why I own or have owned a handful of Audi's, Porsche's and Subarus for thier motorsports capabilities. I think once hyundia makes a bigger leap towards motorsports and proves thier reliability and success in that field than "I" as a consumer can undividedly support that product. I can see this car being RWD and over 300hp possibly making some drift entries, but the company has to be on-board.

Since Audi is my current brand of choice all I have to say is "Quattro" (led Audi to be banned from Rally initially) and thier recent Lemans wins...and thier disgusting reliability. TDI-R8.....thats stemmed from thier motorsports DIRECTLY. My current desktop is the DTM A4, need I say anymore.

Hyundia has the tiberon which was decently successful in Rally events but I think this car may give them a platform for drift and Touring car racing.

HerbyJr
04-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I know it is just 1 car, but a good buddy of mine bought a Genesis a couple of months ago and has had nothing but troubles with it. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice car, comfortable, quick, etc...but he got a lemon! Engine troubles, electrical...all kinds of issues.

H.

FastB7S4
04-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I know it is just 1 car, but a good buddy of mine bought a Genesis a couple of months ago and has had nothing but troubles with it. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice car, comfortable, quick, etc...but he got a lemon! Engine troubles, electrical...all kinds of issues.

H.

Sounds like new model bugs that will be worked out in the next few years. It's nice to be one of the first owners of a new model, but it sucks having to deal with the issues that come with new models as well.

nthusiastt
04-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Sounds like new model bugs that will be worked out in the next few years. It's nice to be one of the first owners of a new model, but it sucks having to deal with the issues that come with new models as well.

True story. My neighbor had an e60 M5 first year available and even though he drove it like he stole it everywhere, before the milage clock hit 6k miles it had already had 2 transmissions replaced. Honestly though, when that 7 speed smg works it's a thing of beauty [up] .

Personally I love cars like this because it exposes all the egotistic brand whores. I'd much rather drive a honda than my audi but they just don't make anything that really competes with them (awd/luxury/wagon). Personally I think my audi is a peice of garbage in terms of engineering. I have all these useless little trinkits gizmoes that have extremely likely failure rates. The thing is an electrical nightmare. I'd rather rewire a Microsoft datacenter than my 10 year old avant. But it does look pretty cool when it's modded and it has lots o potential :)

NvrFllw
04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes Hyundai has stepped it up in recent years but at the end of the day your still driving a Hyundai. Just like the GT-R great car very very fast but at the end of the day your driving a 80k Nissan[confused]

FastB7S4
04-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes Hyundai has stepped it up in recent years but at the end of the day your still driving a Hyundai. Just like the GT-R great car very very fast but at the end of the day your driving a 80k Nissan[confused]

[rolleyes]

says the guy in a 2004 1.8T A4, the definition of luxury and prestige.

GQ//S4
04-14-2009, 03:20 PM

H.

I'm ready to call a VTB for this necro-bump, my first post in this thread was in August.... of 2007!!! [headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]