PDA

View Full Version : Why do FMIC kits cost so much?

MikeWasHere05
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
How come kits offered by like APR are $1000+ but there are people using ebay cores and some piping that are building them for 1/4 the cost.

Is it the core thats more efficient or what?

HPAudiA4
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
al the work is done for you in those kits the piping is pre fit and requires almost zero fab

ceas
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Yea, I'd kinda like to know this too. I have friends that bought cores that were very expensive and they said the core sucked. I know if the core is too big (for smaller turbo) or really crappy it will cause more lag.

jrodmk2
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
i also wonder this a little, not so much for us, but blitz makes $1000.00+ fmic out of tube and fin for scuby's. don't understand that since those are cheaper cores to begin with.

bitterchild
04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
tube/fin is a lighter design. If given the external dimensions, flow across and through the core and acceptable pressure drop a tube/fin can do the job then it is in many cases a better choice. When designing an ic limited by airflow/ducting, ext size, etc. compromised execution require a more efficient and durable heat exchanger. Considerations like that are one of the many reasons why good kits are expensive.