PDA

View Full Version : car died last night...help diagnosing

EuroA4
04-20-2007, 06:17 AM
As I was driving home last night my car backfired then died. I was able to re-start the car, but the car would only idle...as soon as you give it gas it is very rough, and then *coughs* and dies again. I changed the coil packs, plugs and reset the ECU...and nothing seemed to work. I have the "hammer" file (just installed last week) and TT MAF, Siemens 380cc injectors, 4bar fpr, K04, FMIC, HFC, Milltek, etc...

The battery is a little low (12amps)...but enough to get it started. I had 93 octane gas in it. I'm just stumped!! The plugs were black when they were removed...using NGK BRE6 (?) gapped at .028

hey4
04-20-2007, 06:24 AM
check your MAF, make sure it's not dirty. I had a similar problem, turned out to be oil on the MAF but my car died without gas. IT ran really rich causing the plugs to flood.

EuroA4
04-20-2007, 06:47 AM
that sounds like it might be the problem...I had to route the intake to fit the larger MAF ..and now with the increased air flow from the TT MAF...it might have become dirty from the oil blow back...could also be my air filter causing the problem?? Although I don't use alot of oil spray on it. Had to get it flat bedded last night to my mech. so hopefully he discovers what it is.

If I am getting oil blow back to the MAF...how can I reduce that?

BTW I have a 2001 AWM engine with 2ndary air pump removed....

hey4
04-20-2007, 08:26 AM
mine just went away, never happened again.
PS. with your SAI removed do you have the pipe plugged up over by the airbox there it went? also do you have a CEL?

Poopie
04-20-2007, 09:06 AM
unplug the maf and try to start. I doubt that is the issue. I would check a blown hose somewhere. were you crusing or boosting?

EuroA4
04-20-2007, 09:37 AM
I was cruising (off gas) and then i heard a backfire...I attempted to accelerate and it just bogged hard and stalled out. My breather hose has a small filter in the end where it used to plug into the airbox. CEL light only for the secondary air pump not being hooked up.