PDA

View Full Version : So I got "hit" by a little old lady...

A4Shizzle
04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
The long story (scroll down for the shorter one):

Taking my girl out for a nice trip to the San Jose Museum of Art, great Escher exhibit till the 22nd and another good tech exhibit upsatirs btw, and while I'm trying to find parking in an underground garage, I get stuck behind this old lady in her accord. She's going about 3mph through the whole thing and its not one of those garages where you have a choice in which way to go. When she finally finds a spot she has to reverse to get in there... AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE. I'm thinking, "you gotta be kidding right?" and keep in mind I havn't flipped it into reverse yet. Then I start to wonder if she's really going to keep reversing with me right behind her and when she's about 2 ft away I lay on the horn. Of course she didn't stop till she gave me a good bump... So we get out and exchange info, she says she has a body shop that usually gives her a good deal and asks if I'd mind taking my car there. I figure she's old and I probably could have gotten out of the way, so sure, I'll get a quote from her shop.

(Start reading shorter story)

Well yesterday I meet her there and show the guy. Keep in mind my bumper already has a few spidercracks on the corner from flexing I guess, and there were a good number of rock chips there before she hit me. I show the guy and he says that the scuff she left could be buffed out, and he could use touch up paint to fix the gouge she made, but that the bumper is pretty much a lost cause due to the other damage. The whole while the lady is saying this mark wasn't her fault, and that crack must have been there before, ya know, playing her invlovement down pretty hard. The guy from the shop said it might be fair for her just to give me a couple hundred bucks for appearances and call it a day... I start thinking about how far $200 would actually get me when she goes "Yea, a hundred sounds good..." I start getting a little ticked off and my girl gets out of the car and starts telling her that its not like that... Ya know, the whole polite while assertive thing that I don't do well... So I tell her I'll let her know and this is where I'm at.

What would some of you do? Knowing the prices of things like bumpers and paint, and the circumstances surrounding this incident.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/t0kinl3lunts/oldcrackscopy.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/t0kinl3lunts/impactcopy.jpg

Sorry she's a little dirty guys.

Poopie
04-18-2007, 11:50 PM
i would take it to your choice of body shop and have the damages to the bumper fixed. You have her information and you have the witness at the other body shop saying she is admitting fault.

A4Shizzle
04-19-2007, 12:08 AM
So I should jsut find a shop I like and tell them to fix it, whatever the cost, and tell her she has to pay or I'll contact her insurance? Thanks for the quick reply poopie

ActiveMonkey
04-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Ok. Kind of similar thing happened to me. I was hit from behind and my rear bumper had a nice crack though the clear and though the paint. While I was dealing with that mess I was hit again and this was the result.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC00374.jpg

The women who did this said touch up paint would fix it. Um... NO!

So I basically dropped the previous claim and went with this one since the previous women had some insurance company I had never heard of before. I was honest with the claims adjuster and told her about the previous damage and here's what she said…

"We are obligated, on behalf of our client, to repair all damage caused by the accident and restore your vehicle to the state it was in prior to her hitting you. Now since we can't fix everything then create the previous damage, I guess we'll just fix everything."

Basically, I’d tell them this:

I don't give a shit about what was there. You MUST fix the damage she caused. If that means replacing the bumper so be it, but you sure as hell are not going half ass anything on my car. Fix it completely or I’m calling the insurance company.

ActiveMonkey
04-19-2007, 12:23 AM
But if it were up to me... call her insurance ASAP! If she was at fault then you will pay nothing and while it's getting fixed you get to beat on a rental at her insurance’s penny.

I would never have it fixed under the table. Because what happens if something goes wrong. Are you going to bitch at the poor old women or would you rather have the multi-million dollar insurance company yell at the body shop to fix it.

Just go though her insurance. Btw, sorry syou got hit... but get a new bumper out of it
[up] [up]

Poopie
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
yeah, definantly go through her insurance. If she wants to do it under the table so her premiums don't go up, then she better make it damn worth it to you. If shes gonna nickle and dime you, contact the insurance company.

A4Shizzle
04-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Wow, thanks again guys... You all pretty much said the same thing, and it seems pretty propper. I'll try to get a quote from the shop I was going to have my rear bumper fixed at just 3 months ago... Same bs different day, but that time I got the chicks insurance to pay for it. I ended up buying a used rear bumper for $275 with a couple scratches and scuffs I havn't felt like buffing out yet. $ better spent on new tires.

I'll try to get a quote from those guys by the end of the week, call that lady up and say: "Here's how much its gonna cost to fix. If thats more than you're willing to pay out of pocket then I'll contact your insurance."

Sound good?

BTW, dows this look familiar active?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/t0kinl3lunts/Close.jpg
Its for sale to the highest bidder if anyone thinks they can fix it.

ActiveMonkey
04-19-2007, 03:16 AM
BTW, dows this look familiar active?

Get hit, get jerked around, get everything fixed

ou2mame
04-19-2007, 04:42 AM
i was at work once, and i was smoking a cigarette outside.. i see a car plow into the parking lot and slam head on into my durango. so i'm looking, and i'm trying to figure out what just happened, and all of a sudden the kid starts backing up and i'm like FUCK NO! i ran over to my truck and grabbed the bat out of the trunk, by the time he was halfway to the exit i was standing next to his window holding the bat motioning him to kill the engine.

he was 18 years old, with his aunt in her car. she had just given it to him, and they were stopping by the auto parts store to get anti-freeze before he left to go to college.... the woman starts giving me this whole story blah blah blah, i'm like look lady, i want a police report. i don't care who pays for it. so she dicks me around for 2 weeks, and the day before the 2 weeks were up, i flipped out cause she still didn't give me anything, and i called her and told her that if she didn't give me double the price it was estimated at, i was going to call the insurance and file a claim right then. so yeah....there was a check waiting for me at my store.

if they don't want to pay the insurance premium, then make them pay out their ass.. cause they will. who cares if its 200 bucks, 400 bucks, a thousand... the money they'll save, over the course of 96 months or however the fuck long the accident lasts is much greater. make her pay....and buy a new turbo.

giorgos_B5c
04-19-2007, 06:05 AM
A taxi driver hit me from behind just 4-5 days after i got my car.It was brand new to me so i kinda flipped right there!The bumper had only a little scratch that could be buffed out.The taximan told me not to call the police and that he will pay for it because he is a professional and didn't want his premiums to go up!I flipped even more!I called the police right that moment.I got a new rear bumper for 720e,everything insurance paid!Oh yeah,and his premiums went up.What can i say,i'm a bi A tch[:D]

Contact the old lady's insurance and stop having headaches with her and her "payment"[up]

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
04-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Waiting a week isn't smart either...

Imagine you telling her insurance company that you were going to have her pay under the table and when she didnt give you what you wanted you called them...

Stop playing around call her and tell you need $500 for your damages and you will go with your own personal body shop Today!!! If she doesn't call her insurance company (and don't even warn her)...

Those red x are never gonna buff out...

maxspeed
04-19-2007, 08:24 AM
she shouldnt have been on the road, make this an example!

Poopie
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
just cause shes old doesn't mean all old people suck at driving. hahaha my mom is old......and asian....worst combination ever and shes a pretty good driver.

ActiveMonkey
04-19-2007, 09:53 AM
just cause shes old doesn't mean all old people suck at driving. hahaha my mom is old......and asian....worst combination ever and shes a pretty good driver.

Only when in a early 90's Toyota mini-van

seank
04-19-2007, 12:03 PM
def contact her insurance company. and we really need to start petitioning our states to retest drivers ever 5-10 years.

A4Shizzle
04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I just got an estimate at "Capitol Collision Repair" or somehing like that. Its 5 min from my house and looks very respectable. Guess what... They said it'll be about$650 just to fix the damage she caused, and if I want to fix everything, they'll work on a deal with me. You guys were right, I should have done that sooner. I'll be calling her today and if I don't see a check for $650 I'll hit up her insurance.

Someone in cali PLEASE start a petition!

ALL PICS SHOULD BE UP! LMK if they don't show...

bigshrimpin
04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Only when in a early 90's Toyota mini-van

what kind of dumbass comment was that?

fred2ka4
04-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I didn't read all the reply's but it doesn't make a difference if you had a bunch of little scratches on your bumper if hers is the one that cracked it and cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced. I would make her pay for her repairs and use which ever body shop you trust.

fred2ka4
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Imagine you telling her insurance company that you were going to have her pay under the table and when she didnt give you what you wanted you called them...

Stop playing around call her and tell you need $500 for your damages and you will go with your own personal body shop Today!!! If she doesn't call her insurance company (and don't even warn her)...

Those red x are never gonna buff out...

All you have to say is that she offered to pay for the repairs herself and that when she found out it was going to cost more than she thought she changed her mind and that's why you are contacting the insurance company late. She is going to look bad anyways because I'm sure she did not call her insurance company to let them know and now they are going to hear it first from you and not her, so I would call her insurance right away to get the claim process started.

loustylez
04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
^^^ do that

then go S4 bumper. same price as a new A4 bumper from the dealership last time i checked. (not with the inserts and stuff though, but definately do it if you can).