PDA

View Full Version : turbo upgrade

Pureaudi
06-28-2004, 02:09 PM
dose anybody know any good turbo upgrades? im just looking to upgrade my stock turbo in my 1.8t. because i herd that if you chip your car your turbo will go out faster,so i herd upgrading the turbo is better. any suggestions?

SEXIC─N
06-28-2004, 02:15 PM
is your car chipped? Either way, if you go with a larger turbo, your car is going to get "chipped" If you are concerned with your turbo going out sooner than it should, i recommend not doing any engine mods to your car that is going to put any more stress on the turbo.

xburbx
06-28-2004, 02:17 PM
look around on this site for search terms like k04, t28, sk04

Pureaudi
06-29-2004, 08:51 AM
man ko4s are hella expensive. i HELLA wanna get a chip but my firends say your turbo will go out. and i dont want that. any suggestions to make my car faster without risking blowing out the turbo?

awe4rings
06-29-2004, 08:56 AM
There are little upgrades that will improve performance like exhausts, light weight pulleys, flywheels etc but the power increase from these mods are relatively minimal when compared to a turbo upgrade. Plus once you start buying a lot of these little mods the price will add right up to your turbo. Upgrading the turbo/ecu is the most effective upgrade for the A4. The K04 kits are the best priced kit upgrades for the A4 and relatively reliable, that seems to be what you are looking for. Head over to the GB section and see whats happening over there, i know some one is working on a K04 GB.

Zodiak
06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
start with a chip. It will not blow out your turbo. That's really only a problem on S4s. I've seen A4s that have been chipped for over 70k miles with 0 turbo problems. It's the best bang for the buck mod out there.

xburbx
06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
a chip wont blow your turbo and if your turbo does go, you can always just get a used k03 on these boards for under 300

audiohs
06-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Zodiak
start with a chip. It will not blow out your turbo. That's really only a problem on S4s. I've seen A4s that have been chipped for over 70k miles with 0 turbo problems. It's the best bang for the buck mod out there.

Agreed. If you follow proper warm up and cool down techniques, a chip won't "blow out your turbo". Buy a reputable chip like APR or GIAC, they're tried, tested and true.

DDQ
06-29-2004, 09:30 AM
First thing I'd recommend is that you research it more. That way you can be more comfortable with your decision on chipping. I think you'll find that turbo failure in A4s is VERY rare. Years ago there was an issue with the K03 wastegate, but it was recalled (and was completely unrelated to chipping).

If you properly care for your car and maintain it well, then you should have no concerns with a chip blowing your turbo. If your turbo ever does "blow", then there's a very high probability that it was due to the oil lines getting clogged. Nothing that chip would cause.

Pureaudi
06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
thanks guys, i just want to be able to keep my car for a long time. or atleast though collage. im a junior in high school, i have just about 80 thousand miles on it. will a chip make the life of my car shorter?

xburbx
06-29-2004, 12:07 PM
i actually have 81000 miles and recently chipped. its a good decision. you really have no idea how much better it is until you put it in. i plan on seeing 150,000 out of my car before sale. i just picked up a turbo timer and i have a boost gauge on the way.

SEXIC─N
06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
I say just chip the thing and if, by some chance your turbo does go out, Time to UpGrade[;)] [;)] [;)]

awe4rings
06-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Audi_A4_Quattro
I say just chip the thing and if, by some chance your turbo does go out, Time to UpGrade[;)] [;)] [;)]

That always works, but pick a chip tuning company that offers software for the type of turbo you would like to upgrade to in the future incase your K03 goes, usually the company gives you a price break when you need to be reprogrammed...ex. GIAC/Neuspeed for a future K04 or APR for future Stg 3

Zodiak
06-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Pureaudi
i have just about 80 thousand miles on it. will a chip make the life of my car shorter? no. Like DDQ said, do some research on the topic so you'll be more comfortable modifying your car. There is more than enough information out there. I think almost every 1.8t owner on this (and other forums) is chipped.

xburbx
06-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Just do your timing belt and get a new bpv before you do it.

SEXIC─N
06-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Zodiak
no. Like DDQ said, do some research on the topic so you'll be more comfortable modifying your car. There is more than enough information out there. I think almost every 1.8t owner on this (and other forums) is chipped.

Yep, thats what i'm doing. I went with APR because once my turbo goes (which i hope doesn't for a while), i want to upgrade to the APR Stage III+(if it ever gets finalized.

xburbx
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
some people go with apr, i went with giac. there is a big write up somewhere on here about all the chips. look it up. the word is apr isnt as aggresive as giac, but they are just about equal in performance. ive only driven a giac and cant say anything but AWESOME