PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my Turbo Timer wires.

GetBoosted84
04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
After reviewing several articles on how to hook up a turbo timer in my Audi I have failed. I hooked the wires up and the turbo timer counts down after the key is removed from the ignition but it does not keep the ignition on.

Do I have to splice into the ignition wire right after the key?

I'm assuming that is what the problem is.

I did so a search and couldn't find anything. Please help.

+12 volt Constant (Red wire) - Hooked up to the 30 pole
+12 volt Ignition (Green wire) - Hooked up to the 75 pole
Ground - Hooked up to screw on the fuse box
Parking Brake - Hooked up to screw on the fuse box
+12 volt Accessory (Blue wire) - Hooked up (using a fuse tap) into the hot side of Fuse 33 (Cig. Lighter)
RPM Signal Wire (Brown wire) - Hooked up to the blue & black wire (top left wire when looking at the plug) on the VAG connector

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/thumbs/large/1005729_knpbt/Wiring%20Hookup.JPG (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/view/full/1005729_knpbt)

superman_006
04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.audimods.com/mods/RedLEDmods/Blitz%20DUAL%20DC_installDoc.pdf

GetBoosted84
04-19-2007, 04:27 AM
http://www.audimods.com/mods/RedLEDmods/Blitz%20DUAL%20DC_installDoc.pdf

Thanks for posting that write-up. Although it does not explain where to tap into the ignition line. In the HKS unit, the Green ignition wire has to be hooked up also. Should this wire tap in behind the key?

superman_006
04-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I belive that terminal 75X would be your igniotn tap

superman_006
04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.blitz-performance.com/includes/templates/2007/Manuals/DTT.pdf
that the Blitz dual timer for color refrence
Term 30 is your (+)
Term 75x is your (ign +)
Black/ Blue Stripe wire from the OBII is your (acc)
Hook up your ground (-)
Use a test light to find out which side of your Brake swtich to hook to or just ground it
Rewire the output of fuse 6 (black and blue) from fuse panel to Term 75 (ing +)

GetBoosted84
04-19-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.blitz-performance.com/includes/templates/2007/Manuals/DTT.pdf
that the Blitz dual timer for color refrence
Term 30 is your (+)
Term 75x is your (ign +)
Black/ Blue Stripe wire from the OBII is your (acc)
Hook up your ground (-)
Use a test light to find out which side of your Brake swtich to hook to or just ground it
Rewire the output of fuse 6 (black and blue) from fuse panel to Term 75 (ing +)

That's the way I currently have my timer wired with the exception of re-wiring fuse #6. Fuse #6 is for the Central Locking system so the only thing that should be affected by not re-wiring that is that I cannot lock the car while the turbo timer is counting down (at least I believe that's the only side effect). I can try that tonight though to see if that yields a better result.

Btw, thanks for the quick responses everybody!

GetBoosted84
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I anted to bring this one back to life. I am still having issues with this and I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this in their travels.

Thanks!

mike-2ptzero
04-21-2007, 07:18 PM
You most likely are not powering up the right ignition wires. Most cars have 2 of them at the ignition switch and this is why you should tap the wires there when doing the install.

Here are the wires at the ignition switch.

+12v = Red
Starter = Red/Black(not needed for this type of install)
Ignition = Black
Accessory = Black/Yellow
Tach wire = Green/blue on the back of the cluster far left plug or at the ECU

GetBoosted84
04-21-2007, 09:12 PM
You most likely are not powering up the right ignition wires. Most cars have 2 of them at the ignition switch and this is why you should tap the wires there when doing the install.

Here are the wires at the ignition switch.

+12v = Red
Starter = Red/Black(not needed for this type of install)
Ignition = Black
Accessory = Black/Yellow
Tach wire = Green/blue on the back of the cluster far left plug or at the ECU

I agree, there is something wrong with the way I have it hooked up currently. Thank you for the info on the ignition switch! I am going to try that and I will post a followup. Thank you!

superman_006
04-21-2007, 09:15 PM
What type of turbo timer is it

GetBoosted84
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
What type of turbo timer is it

It's a HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer

GetBoosted84
04-22-2007, 05:57 AM
superman_006, I sent you a PM. I was wondering if you know of a way to get to those ignition wires without pulling the steering wheel apart as in this article (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec91.shtml).

mike-2ptzero
04-22-2007, 09:21 AM
superman_006, I sent you a PM. I was wondering if you know of a way to get to those ignition wires without pulling the steering wheel apart as in this article (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec91.shtml).

You should be able to get to the wires by just removing the knee bolster panel.

GetBoosted84
04-22-2007, 09:24 AM
You should be able to get to the wires by just removing the knee bolster panel.

Do you know which bundle of wires it is though? They are all wrapped in that covering stuff so I cannot tell which is which.

mike-2ptzero
04-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Do you know which bundle of wires it is though? They are all wrapped in that covering stuff so I cannot tell which is which.

no I dont. If I had my car I would look since my panel is always off. It shouldn't be hard to find since it should be a larger harness coming from under the column and the wires will be larger then the rest of the wires coming from under there. You can cut the loom open with a razor blade length wise and then pull out the wires enough to put some t-taps onto.

superman_006
04-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Type 0........................................A4
red (+) power............................term 30
green (+) inj..............................Black w/ Blue stripe wire on OBDII connector
blue.. Acc feed............................Not used
Black (-) ground..........................Body -
RPM Signal Wire (Brown wire).........Green/blue on the back of the cluster far left plug or at the ECU
Fuse 6 Black/Blue wire (a4)........Term 75x

mike-2ptzero
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Type 0........................................A4
red (+) power............................term 30
green (+) inj..............................Black w/ Blue stripe wire on OBDII connector
blue.. Acc feed............................Not used
Black (-) ground..........................Body -
RPM Signal Wire (Brown wire).........Green/blue on the back of the cluster far left plug or at the ECU
Fuse 6 Black/Blue wire (a4)........Term 75x

Going to the OBD isn't a great idea for a turbo timer since you are trying to supply power to that spot, if you were just picking up power it would be different. The OBD port is after the fues while the wires on the ignition harness supply the power to the fuses. Supply power to the wrong place and you end up blowing fuses. You wouldn't try to charge your battery from your tail light would you?

The wire color info for the ignition switch harness are listed up above, might as well go there if you are already under the dash.

GetBoosted84
04-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Thanks superman_006 & mike-2ptzero. I am going to try hooking the Ignition wire up to the black wire on the ignition switch and see where that takes me. I'll post a follow-up tonight on how it goes.

superman_006
04-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Going to the OBD isn't a great idea for a turbo timer since you are trying to supply power to that spot, if you were just picking up power it would be different. The OBD port is after the fues while the wires on the ignition harness supply the power to the fuses. Supply power to the wrong place and you end up blowing fuses. You wouldn't try to charge your battery from your tail light would you?

The wire color info for the ignition switch harness are listed up above, might as well go there if you are already under the dash.

By powering the wire on the OBD connector, you accually powering a relay, so the Amprage pull would be very minimal