PDA

View Full Version : I have a wrecked AWD, and i drive a FWD.... Conversion :]

ki11switch
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Alright, so i know this has come up before, but everyone says dont do it because of the money you would have to spend. I currently drive a 98 FWD 1.8tM, and i have a wrecked 98 Quattro 1.8tm(hit in fron right corner). Would this conversion be a big deal since i already have all the parts?

Also, is the front suspension the same on a FWD and quattro. Its just the rear that is different right?

pac1085
04-17-2007, 08:42 PM
yes its a big deal because the chassis is different. you could swap your stuff into the quattro car but you can't put the quattro stuff in a FWD car even if you have a whole car for parts.

MikeWasHere05
04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Autotrader mod ftw.

docurley
04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Front the same but god knows if the rear could be fitted.

Jereme
04-18-2007, 08:32 AM
haha theres no way you could swap the FWD front end stuff to the Quattro car?

Nor_Cal_Driver
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
haha theres no way you could swap the FWD front end stuff to the Quattro car?

That seems to be the way.

durfA4
04-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Your easiest option is to fix the quattro and move all you mods over, the good thing is that you have the parts the bad thing is figuring out how bad the quattro was hit, if the frame is straight then great, if not you are better off taking what you want off the parts car to return you car to stock and then sell you car and buy a A4 with engine damage ( i just saw a 2001 1.8tqts go on ebay for about $1000, blown engine) and then fix that.

by the way engines are the same, front end the same, floor pan close mounts for carrier/exhaust hangers different or non existant etc.. , but gas tank is in the way of the rear diff. If you really want to make it work any thing is possible with $$$$$$$$$$

Nor_Cal_Driver
04-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice info durf. It's good to see someone really help.

Militant-Grunt
04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
You can put all the stuff into the quattro car but not the other way around, the whole rear of a FWD car is like a VW, you just cant fit the diff/ driveshaft/ other components you need in there.

ki11switch
04-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Your easiest option is to fix the quattro and move all you mods over, the good thing is that you have the parts the bad thing is figuring out how bad the quattro was hit, if the frame is straight then great, if not you are better off taking what you want off the parts car to return you car to stock and then sell you car and buy a A4 with engine damage ( i just saw a 2001 1.8tqts go on ebay for about $1000, blown engine) and then fix that.

by the way engines are the same, front end the same, floor pan close mounts for carrier/exhaust hangers different or non existant etc.. , but gas tank is in the way of the rear diff. If you really want to make it work any thing is possible with $$$$$$$$$$

ok, so i may be able to swap everything i want to the quattro, i know the wheel is bent back so im not sure what im going to need to replace. I'll get pictures or something soon. Thanks for the help!