PDA

View Full Version : Fvcking body shops...

ahutch1
04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
So my car got hit on 2/23 ( http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121512 ) and when the insurance crap was finally settled I got my car into a body shop on 03/26 (a monday). My insurance company recommends the dealer body shop. My insurance tells me they have worked with them before and they are reliable. I really don't know any good body shops in Tucson, so fine, whatever. They had all the parts ordered and gave me an estimate of 2 weeks. A week later I get a call and say there is additional damage that wasn't found by the insurance company and that it would be ready thursday (4/12) instead of monday (4/9). Thats fine, it happens, whatever.

When thurday rolls around I give them a call to see if I can pick up my car. The guys not there. 3 hours later I get a call back and the guy I have been dealing with says its still in paint and will be ready to pick up the next day. So the next day I call to see if my car is ready. Again, not available to talk, have to wait another 2 hours to get a call back and he tells me its still in paint, and that it will be ready monday (4/16).

Im starting to get annoyed and sense that something is wrong here or they forgot about my car. So yesterday I call once again to see if finally my car is ready. Guess what he tells me...still in paint. Joy!! I had about had it with this still in paint crap, but being a fairly patient person I gave him another day. So today rolls around and I put a call into him. 4 hours later get a call back. He preceeds to tell me there is a problem with the door alignment and that it needs to go back into paint!!!! But heres the best part, he said that he would like to meet in person, have me come down. I tell him I would love to come down once my car is ready, but I tell him I will come down tomorrow.

This pretty much confirmed my suspicions that they fvcked something up, either that or they found a kilo of crack in my trunk, but i'm going to go with the first one. Hopefully I can get something free out of this. I really need to chip my car :)...Do you guys have any suggestions on what to look for on my car tomorrow or know how I can benefit out of this if they did fvck it up?? Any help is much apprieciated. This has dragged on far too long and I just want my freakin car back...fvckin stealership!!!

Rosati
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Tell them you rented a car for however long and they should reimburse you the setback days, either them or the insurance company

Naturally , they will not give in but maybe if you call your insurance company youll be able to get some "change" leftover from the repair bill and insurance check.

shit like this happens all the time man , thats why your supposed to pick a place that you know

mikeyvuitton
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
yah most bodyshops are pretty shady.
i stick with myself.

B5-B_Broke
04-17-2007, 06:21 PM
i do not condone nor approve of defrauding insurance companies but i will tell you this body shops do it all the time a new problem might be a problem that was never there to begin with they get more money from your insurance and if your tactful you can get anything you want out of this but careful dont want the insurance company to total your ride. cause then nobody wins. but like i said this is for training purposes only.. dont do it.

mikeyvuitton
04-17-2007, 06:26 PM
when i had my accident they made me take it to a shop that quoted me
3756.29$ to put it back to stock

then i went to the adjuster who gave me a 1950$ check
and i did everything i wanted to the car.

ahutch1
04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I agree that I should have taken it to a body shop that I was familiar with, but unfortunately the audi scene down here in Tucson is pretty small, and this is my first accident so I really didn't know where to go. If anything like this happens again I might just take it up to phoenix.

Speckto
04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
when i totaled my car insurance gave me 11,000 for it ... autobody said they could fix it for 9500 with new coat of paint... but same thing happened with me they ende3d up pushing it back 1.5 months since they originally told me id get it back... i feel your pain (not to mention my order for rims is 2 weeks later then they said)

blackaudia4tk
04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
id deff be looking for color mis match dirt in the paint door gaps the tops of the doors have to be right or they leak like a bitch if it was really in paint for 3 days which i highly doubt they are stupid and wouldn't still be in business (my guess of what happend they thought they would get ahead by painting the door complete jambs and out side at the same time then when they went to put it on it hit and took the paint off so they had to paint the jamb where it scratched and the door ) just a guess haha

attamz
04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
thats what you get for going to the "insurance" recommended shop. All that means is that the shop has to cut their costs somewhere to get on that vip list. Further more these shops have to make up theri lost costs somewhere. Its all a big scam. Look for texture, dust in the paint, color match, check the lines. Most of all I am assuming that if they really had such a problem with paint that backed it up for days it may be due to fish eyes. If your car had alot of wax on it, silicone got in the air, poor preperation etc there will be an issue. Look for these small imperfections where the paint did not so well adhere.

ActiveMonkey
04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Do you guys have any suggestions on what to look for on my car tomorrow or know how I can benefit out of this if they did fvck it up??

The only advice i can give you is that if it's not PERFECT! Tell them they made an error and they must correct it before you will take your car. If you don't do it now, you'll be stuck with thier mess.

loustylez
04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
don't feel bad about just saying "nope, i can't accept that. i want this done correctly as soon as possible. i'll give you whatever time you need, nothing more."

ahutch1
04-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Most of all I am assuming that if they really had such a problem with paint that backed it up for days it may be due to fish eyes. If your car had alot of wax on it, silicone got in the air, poor preperation etc there will be an issue.

Thanks for the advice, I definitely waxed my car about 2 weeks before it went to the shop so I will make sure to look for imperfections. Also if its not perfect, can i get reimbursed for the rental?

attamz
04-18-2007, 04:17 AM
the body shop should def. cover the rental if you are unsatisfied with the work they completed.

ahutch1
04-18-2007, 08:08 PM
you gotta be shittin me. I went over to the body shop today to see where my car was. First of all I had to wait like 20 mins to talk to the guy that has been handeling my car. Then we take a golf cart over to the paint place and the entire time this guy is talking about golf...I hate golf. what I really want to know is why my car is taking so fucking long. Alright so we get to the paint section and look around for my car. Its not "in" paint per say, but instead its in a parking lot.

No back windshield, doors are on but not put back together (no windows or interior panel, handles, etc), bumper is not on, trunk interior is a mess, no back seat, there is a bucket of shit on my front passanger seat, and what looks like spakle dust all over it. Needless to say my car is not done. It has taken 80% longer than they oringially quoted. Their excuse?? That my car is an import and imports are better engineered and take longer to put back together. "We're not dealing with a honda here".

The part that perplexes me is that they knew I had a fucking import when they quoted me 2 weeks. As far as the body work is concerned it looked decent. they repainted both passanger side doors, the trunk, and rear quarter. Paint is well matched, and is pretty smooth except for a few bubbles that I noticed, but they told me they still needed to do some sanding. ETA on getting my car back: Friday...maybe. In that case it would be almost double what they originally quoted me. Needless to say we will be talking about the price...

Speckto
04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
deff. check for paint bubbles... when i got my car back *2 months after they said* i saw overspray and paint bubbles on my front fender... one bubble actually "popped" and flaked... sent it back to them told them to fix that, get me my battery cover and my rear RINGS!! other then this though the car was amazing... as much as i hate to admit it, the longer they take, the more attention to detail i guess...

A4_2.8tuner
04-18-2007, 08:51 PM
buddy that's how it goes...I took my car into the body shop on feb. 12th and didn't get it back till march 24th...then I noticed they did a crappy job so I took it back to them a on april 3rd and its been in the shop since, still don't have it back...that's how the body shop world goes...kinda gotta live with it I guess...

ActiveMonkey
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Hmm. I must have had the best luck ever. Everytime my car has been in an accident it was the womans fault and both times they did an excellent job. The first time was at Jims Auto Body in Walnut Creek, CA and the second was at Salles in Oakland, CA.

Jims Auto Body took 4 days and it looked pretty good. Salles did it OVERNIGHT and it came out pretty good too. Salles was amazing with thier customer Service. The geiko rep there was a lowballing asshole. My muffler was damaged in that accident and he wanted to give me $50 so i could go buy a new one. He ended up giving me $280.55.

Just remember to be anal about everything they do.

Shifty
04-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Dude this is a typical commercial body shop problem. You're not the first to have this happen. Funny that they keep blaming the paintshop - that's another typical body shop thing, to blame us painters. LOL

damnthemansam
04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
you gotta be shittin me. I went over to the body shop today to see where my car was. First of all I had to wait like 20 mins to talk to the guy that has been handeling my car. Then we take a golf cart over to the paint place and the entire time this guy is talking about golf...I hate golf. what I really want to know is why my car is taking so fucking long. Alright so we get to the paint section and look around for my car. Its not "in" paint per say, but instead its in a parking lot.

No back windshield, doors are on but not put back together (no windows or interior panel, handles, etc), bumper is not on, trunk interior is a mess, no back seat, there is a bucket of shit on my front passanger seat, and what looks like spakle dust all over it. Needless to say my car is not done. It has taken 80% longer than they oringially quoted. Their excuse?? That my car is an import and imports are better engineered and take longer to put back together. "We're not dealing with a honda here".

The part that perplexes me is that they knew I had a fucking import when they quoted me 2 weeks. As far as the body work is concerned it looked decent. they repainted both passanger side doors, the trunk, and rear quarter. Paint is well matched, and is pretty smooth except for a few bubbles that I noticed, but they told me they still needed to do some sanding. ETA on getting my car back: Friday...maybe. In that case it would be almost double what they originally quoted me. Needless to say we will be talking about the price...

[confused] hmmm

ActiveMonkey
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
yea... last time i checked Honda's were imports... Just goes to show you he's a idiot

ahutch1
04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Sweet!! So I was supposed to pick up my car today, and then I get a call from the place. Apparently there are wires in the back windshield and when they put it back in they forgot to connect these wires and now I need a new back windshield. The problem is they don't have one, they have to order one from LA. So now the ETA is...Monday. I'm having audi withdrawals...

pressure
04-20-2007, 02:18 PM
You took it to the dealer for repairs? An Audi dealer? They're not comfortable w/ working on it?!?!?! WTF. My local dealer (Holbert in PA) has a fantastic body shop - never been let down. They've done custom work for me on lots of VW/Audi projects - shaved handles, badges, smoothed seams, pulled fenders, etc. Flawless... & very very timely. They're a suggested shop for my insurance co., too, so there's no hassles.

FWIW, that hit isn't bad @ all. Besides the 1/4, which they'd probably just section so as not to have to pull the rear glass, it's just a bumper cover & door shell, w/ a blend into the front passenger door & C pillar. No way was the B pillar moved w/ a light hit like that, so it didn't need time on the rack. Shouldn't have taken more than a week to repair... including color sand, reassembly, & detail... which on a job like that, is a day's work. A good body man could have that quarter sectioned in a 1/2 day. Regarding the dirty interior - that's normal... & if you didn't see it like that, you'd probably never know it looked like such sh!t. All cars look like that @ some point during bodywork.

If it was an Audi dealer, call Audi of America. Bitch... but don't be disrespectful. Have your facts lined up & they'll make it right.

AquattroZ
05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
How'd everything go in the end? You do have your car back right? ;) One thing I've found over time is to be strict and demanding from the beginning with body shops, mechanics, etc... My "theory" is that these places have 2 types of customers, 1) The type that is patient and understanding. The "nice guy" (The way I used to go about it). 2) The demanding customer that demands quality and respect from so called profesionals. The asshole (the way i go about it now). I think it's important to call these guys out when they give you the run around and threaten, or even follow through with taking your business elsewhere. It sucks to here that a dealer would go about doing business the way they did with you. Sounds like a bunch of jerk offs who don't take their work seriously or care about you and your car. Guys just working for the pay check, "clock-watchers" If they took longer then they quoted you in the beginning, you should be compensated for your rental fees. This happened to me and I went "asshole" on them. Showed them that I was disappointed in their performance (time) and threatened legal action based on principal alone. Sorry to get side tracked. How did everything go in the end???