PDA

View Full Version : replacing wheel bearings

Suparslinc
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
anybody know whats involved in this? the passenger side wheel bearings are shot on my car.

mike-2ptzero
04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Front or back?

sean1.8t
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Front or back?

in spoke in plural form so im thinking he means both maybe..

mike-2ptzero
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
in spoke in plural form so im thinking he means both maybe..

That would be very weird to have a front and rear on 1 side go bad at the same time.

Just asking because I have a brand new "large" front wheel bearing sitting in my garage that was never used.

Hugh Jass
04-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Rear- http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

Front- http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

It's not too bad. The bearing kits are ~$60 per wheel from the dealer.

HPAudiA4
04-17-2007, 05:27 AM
ecstuning has them for like 49$

Suparslinc
04-17-2007, 09:45 AM
my bad, rear.

I thought I put that in the post.

Thanks!

ibew5audi
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
help me out here-i thought all 4 were the same and I've been through 6 w/ one more growling in back

SirDaft1
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
i took my car to a knowledgable audi mechanic and it cost $65 for labor and $60 for the part. LET HIM DO IT. He said the normal 2 Ton press wasn't enough to get it out and had to bring it to another shop that had a 5 Ton press. I **pondered** doing it myself... after hearing that, CRAP I'M GLAD I DIDN'T hahaha

blackaudia4tk
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
i got mine from www.stopshopanddrive.com it was 38 or 58 for the bearing and the bolt they deff come out hard and you need a good sized impact to get that danm bolt out i had to use a 1000 tq impact and wait a while and when ya press it in make sure ya have it right haha its not something ya can do with out a press i would let someone else do it 65 for labor is a deal on that i had to change both rear ones if ya wanna do it ur self ya still are gonna have to take it somewhere to get it pressed in and out

badassbaldie
04-18-2007, 04:15 PM
i got mine from www.stopshopanddrive.com it was 38 or 58 for the bearing and the bolt they deff come out hard and you need a good sized impact to get that danm bolt out i had to use a 1000 tq impact and wait a while and when ya press it in make sure ya have it right haha its not something ya can do with out a press i would let someone else do it 65 for labor is a deal on that i had to change both rear ones if ya wanna do it ur self ya still are gonna have to take it somewhere to get it pressed in and out

Hey "Rain man", you really need to work on your basic writing skills (i.e punctuation)...

badassbaldie
04-18-2007, 04:19 PM
i took my car to a knowledgable audi mechanic and it cost $65 for labor and $60 for the part. LET HIM DO IT. He said the normal 2 Ton press wasn't enough to get it out and had to bring it to another shop that had a 5 Ton press. I **pondered** doing it myself... after hearing that, CRAP I'M GLAD I DIDN'T hahaha

I'm surprised a 5 ton worked...The hardest part about the whole process is getting the knuckle off of the car (frozen nuts/bolts)...Pressing a bearing is "gravy"...

Euro-Tuner
04-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I love this forum, everytime my car has an ailment, I get home, and *BAM* there is the exact post Im looking for at the top of the page...its awesome!! thanks for the links! (BTW: my pass. rear is going...going...GONE!!)

loustylez
04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
woah, freaky. MY rear passenger bearing is going too.

k i'm leaving the car in the garage for like 2 weeks until i feel safe.

ct1.8t4me
04-18-2007, 06:32 PM
My driver's side rear bearing is shot. Doing it this weekend if I'm lucky. I did the passenger side last year. It's not too bad - I had a local shop remove the old and install the new for $23 - I just had to bring them the hub.

Shifty
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
One or more of mine started acting up this past week... I'm definetly getting a bearing moan. You jinxed us all with this damned post!!!

audiness
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I did both my rears, dissasembly took about 2 hours, reassembly was only an hour.
I took the hubs out and took them to a machine shop and had them press the new bearings in.

coyote24mn
04-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I will be doing this on the pass. front this weekend. tired of the sound every time i go anywhere. god damn wheel bearings going out... lol

blackaudia4tk
04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey "Rain man", you really need to work on your basic writing skills (i.e punctuation)...
hahaha basic writing skills; wow sorry man i have better things to do maybe ya should check ur skirt before ya make a grammar comment on a car forum fucking sally

blackaudia4tk
04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm surprised a 5 ton worked...The hardest part about the whole process is getting the knuckle off of the car (frozen nuts/bolts)...Pressing a bearing is "gravy"...

"gravy" =thinking the thing is about to explode and having it sound like a shot gun went off when it finally comes out yea gravy.....

ibew5audi
04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
don't do stopshopanddrive-sent me wrong axle and wouldn't send return/money for 3 months-they own 3 or more websites that sell the same stuff under different web pages-terrible cust serv.

blackaudia4tk
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
ive bought a ton of stuff from them and never had a problem they do suck with returning things

badassbaldie
04-19-2007, 12:21 AM
hahaha basic writing skills; wow sorry man i have better things to do maybe ya should check ur skirt before ya make a grammar comment on a car forum fucking sally

If being intelligible makes me a "Sally", so be it...[rolleyes]

Your problem is that you are so ignorant you don't even realize that your posts make absolutely no sense. How is anyone going to learn anything if they don't understand what you are saying? I'd like to sit here and "battle wits with you" but I can see that you are unarmed...

My apologies to the OP for getting off-topic..

cobyryan
04-19-2007, 11:55 AM
what's the telltale signs of a bad bearing? on my 911 they would grumble like shit, especially if i loaded them up in a corner- but on my quattro, i'm running a fair degree of negative camber and i can't tell if it's the bearing, or just because the front tires are cupped-- whaddya think?

HighDesertAudi
04-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Everyone I've heard sounds really highpitched squelling especialy when turning.

damnthemansam
04-19-2007, 12:56 PM

[confused] MOTHER#$*%*#$) )$%*$< )#$%*$*, )$%$*)$%*$) and SH*T

my right rear went also and i took to a shop in san fran, dealer quoted me $250 in labor and $67 for parts so i took it to someone else and it still cost me $300!! $%$^%&#%^&^#^%*$@^#$ and the kicker is ive done them before and could have done it easy but i just moved out to calif and have no access to a bear press!! GOD MOTHER F($%&$#(& DAMN IT

ibew5audi
04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
what's the telltale signs of a bad bearing? on my 911 they would grumble like shit, especially if i loaded them up in a corner- but on my quattro, i'm running a fair degree of negative camber and i can't tell if it's the bearing, or just because the front tires are cupped-- whaddya think?

noise stops when loading-swerve side to side

Matt@JHM
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Bring the parts to me, ill press them out/in for you. I have a 2 and 5 ton arbor press and a 10 ton hydraulic press (good for making pancakes out of pennies) [:)]

That is if any of you live in the central valley of California.

SirDaft1
04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I was told by my mech when he replaced mine that when he used the 5 ton it popped out HARD and sounded like a gun shot off.

One piece of advice: if your wheel bearing is going bad and is grinding (like mine was), FIX IT. He said if I kept driving on it, the friction from the bearings being bad causes such heat that the wheel bearing can almost bond with the hub from the heat, as mine almost did. Enter: The new wheel bearing AND HUB.

As he told me, a new bearing + hub instantly makes a quick $125 job into a fun $500 job REALLY quickly lol.