PDA

View Full Version : A4 1999 1.8t Problem. Help!!! Please......

madliqz
04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey. Im new to this forum and pretty new with audis also. Im 18 and this is my second car. Well enough about the BS.

I recently bought a 1999 a4 1.8T with 92xxx miles for 7g. Everything was perfectly fine with the car and still is but only 1 problem. The car drives fine but once it reaches about 40 mph it makes some wierd noise. It kinda sounds like a hole in the exhaust but its comes out of the back passenger side of the car. Now when im driving over 40 and turn my wheel to the right or change to the right lane the noise stops. Than when i drive straight again it starts. Also the check engine light goes on and off. Lets say one day it will be one. And the next day it will go off.

Now does anyone know what this could be??? I heard it could be the drive axle but im not entirely sure. I would really appreciate it if some one could help me with this problem.

Also i think there is a problem with my gas mileage. Off of a full tank of Premium 93 i only get about 200 miles. Is this normal?? Does any one have any tips they can give me?? Thank you for your time[:D] [:D]

dukez
04-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't know what your noise issue is about, is it whistlely, whining?
Random check engine lights are usually misfires.
200 does seem low, but ive seen various mileage threads. It depends on your driving style, auto/manual? I usually get 280mi on average off my 5 speed in HW/City mixed.

More importantly if you recently bought the car at 92x miles, you better make sure its gone through the last big tune/checkup, which should have included replacing the timing belt, fluids, pads. etc. (these items would have been on the 80k maintenance checklist).

CSHO1.8t
04-17-2007, 01:21 AM
The noise might be a wheel bearing, Ive had that happen before. Just a guess though.

zrowcool
04-17-2007, 05:25 AM
i'd say the wheel bearing. and as far as the mileage, i get about the same 200 to a tank with highway city mix, putting in octane booster gets me to like 270 or so.

HPAudiA4
04-17-2007, 05:26 AM
if i do just highway driving i can get about 400 mi

SeanF
04-17-2007, 06:04 AM
i get 350 in the city with a heavy foot....

a4cefed
04-17-2007, 06:28 AM
i'd say the wheel bearing. and as far as the mileage, i get about the same 200 to a tank with highway city mix, putting in octane booster gets me to like 270 or so.

you should not need an octane booster to get 270 miles. might wanna look into that

madliqz
04-17-2007, 11:29 AM

What exactly is an Octane booster?

madliqz
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
The noise might be a wheel bearing, Ive had that happen before. Just a guess though.

hey. how much would the wheel bearings cost to fix including labor and parts? Thanks alot every one!

Rosati
04-17-2007, 11:33 AM
The Higher the octane, the harder the fuel is to burn, and the more explosive the charge is therefore lasting longer.

Octane booster does just that to your gasoline and is used for racing, etc.

Matt@JHM
04-17-2007, 11:40 AM
What exactly is an Octane booster?

It's a bottle of gas that is used to raise the octane level of the gas in your tank.

Most octane boosters (typically found in walmart) will not make a noticable difference. A test was done on the popular STP octane booster that only raised the RON by .5 (91 to 91.5).

Here is an article on on octane boosters. http://www.gtatech.com/news_au_articl.html

Rosati
04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
^^ thats because you didnt get the autozone special yo :P

dat shit givs me 30 hp rite outa the bottle!

Matt@JHM
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
^^ thats because you didnt get the autozone special yo :P

dat shit givs me 30 hp rite outa the bottle!

What's the brand?

Rosati
04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I was just joking sir, poking fun at ricers who think octane booster works miracles.

I use it to clean out the injectors, etc. Not run sprints and beat a faster car than mine

Matt@JHM
04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I was just joking sir, poking fun at ricers who think octane booster works miracles.

I use it to clean out the injectors, etc. Not run sprints and beat a faster car than mine

LOL ok - sometimes sarcasm is quite hard to distinguish online [:D] I should've known better.

CSHO1.8t
04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
hey. how much would the wheel bearings cost to fix including labor and parts? Thanks alot every one!

It depends on how many you need done. I needed 2 done and if i remeber right, i think it was about 350 with everything. you might have to take it in and get it quoted. They usually wont charge you for that so it might be a good idea.

madliqz
04-17-2007, 02:59 PM
It depends on how many you need done. I needed 2 done and if i remeber right, i think it was about 350 with everything. you might have to take it in and get it quoted. They usually wont charge you for that so it might be a good idea.

Hey. Would the wheel bearings cause the car to stop making the noise once the wheel turns to the right? Also is there any chance it could be the drive axle?