PDA

View Full Version : Tranny is going!! (streched)

98a4
04-16-2007, 06:39 AM
They post everyone was waiting on. My transmission is about to blow and with me being the #1 advocate for streched tires/staggered wheels this may come as no supprise.

Reguardless, I dont think the wheel setup is what caused it.

Reverse makes a car shaking clunk/bang once i roll back a few feet (not going into gear)
This clunk can now be found in forward gears. Driveline shock is a mess at partial throtle and I get a noise at rolling speed, on or off the gas that sounds like keys on a chain rattling. Any ideas?

Seems to be comming from the front/center dif but I am getting a wet squeeky noise from the rear.

Starting
04-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I had a click noise coming from my transmission before it failed. It would increase with speed. Only happened for maybe 5 miles through. Once it failed i could put the shifter through all the gears with the clutch out and it didnt have an affect on the engine.

As long as the overall diameters with your setup were within the allowed difference I wouldn't think your wheel setup would kill it.

98a4
04-16-2007, 07:08 AM
I honestly doubt its the wheel/tire setup but I know someone is going to make some comment.

Its very hard to describe the noise, only that I can feel it in my bones when it hits reverse and after 100miles of that, its progressed the same feeling to forward gears almost evry time I pull out. It could be a blown mount I suppose but we had that Noreaster so I havent looked around yet.

mike-2ptzero
04-16-2007, 07:46 AM
The tire setup wouldn't put more stress on your trans, but would put more stress on the diffs/torsen if there is a big difference in over all height between front/back.

michael66899
04-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I can definately relate to the keys rattling on a chain noise. My tranny had it for about 6 months before it was no longer driveable. For me about 4 months after the noise started, I no longer had a 4th gear and if I tried to put it in 4th and let out the clutch it would just grind. Just another month after giong from 3rd to 5th gear everytime I was driving, the the car would start popping out of gear if I let off the gas in 3rd gear. About 2 weeks later while I was in 5th gear it would just make a really loud whining sound, and about another week or so after, everytime I got on the gas in 5th it would pop out of gear unless I used my whole body to hold the shifter in 5th. Needless to say I put the car in the garage the following day, and replaced the tranny with a used one I picked up for $850 and its like driving a new car. I had all the right tools from a previous clutch install and was able to do the while swap with some of my dads help in about 6 1/2 hours. Also if anyone wants any suggestions on doing a tranny removal/install on a quattro I'd love to help out.

98a4
04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Did you diagnose the problem after replacing the tranny? I just dont want a wheel locking up or axel snapping.

If i do end up replacing it ill go with a 2.8 tranny and a OFE clutch so my bill wont be cheap reguardless

michael66899
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
No I did not, I have not opened up the tranny, its just sitting in my garage, and I'm going to just sell/give it away as a core for anyone who wants it.

98a4
04-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Hmm... If I find out whats wrong I may be contacting you to buy it

98a4
04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
It blew on the way home.

Rear end went