PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a power loss problem

sighpost
04-15-2007, 03:55 PM
**As seen on that other forum**

I have a 99 1.8T Q M

I was accelerating on to the interstate and got on the throttle real hard in 2nd gear. It accelerated fine and I shifted to 3rd and went back to WOT. Everything was fine in 3rd and 4th. When I shiffted to 5th it continued to accelerate fine until 80mph and 4000rpm. At this point the engine shot up to 6000rpm and I lost acceleration. It was as if the engine disconnected from the drive train. I ran it back and forth from 3000 to 4000 at WOT and the same thing kept happening.

Lately I have been hearing a quite clanking noise from under the parking brake area of my car. It is worse when I turn the wheel to the right. The clanking noise speeds up and slows down with the rpm and happens in fwd and reverse gears. I have recently replaced both front axles.

Are these two issues related? Is it my front differential? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and responding.

maxspeed
04-15-2007, 03:57 PM
driveshaft perhaps? does the car drive at all?

it could be a clutch issue as well...

sighpost
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
It drives fine until you get to 5th gear and floor it. Once above 4000rpm it acts like some one disconnected the engine from the drive train. I also have the unexplained noises. I hope it is the clutch because then I have something to fix. But right now I am not sure and it worries me.

superman_006
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Very strange... Does it go into N in any other gear? maybe a bad mount could be pulling the trans slightly out of gear

sighpost
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
No it only seems to do it in 5th gear.

waswrxdriver
04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
sounds like you have a axle problem.. is the car lowered?? best thing to do would be to pull out your axles and see if the joints are out... you should be able to feel if the balls are loose by squeesing the cv boots... hope this helps..

superman_006
04-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Not to disagree with you but its a quattro to it would have to have 2 axles doing it or one axle doing that and something bad in the transmission, I have never seen an axle re-engauge. So I am going to quess and say it sounds like it has to be inside the tranny, just for the simple fact its a quattro, and it wouldnt be in the clutch/ flywheel becasuse it would do it in every gear

waswrxdriver
04-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Not to disagree with you but its a quattro to it would have to have 2 axles doing it or one axle doing that and something bad in the transmission, I have never seen an axle re-engauge. So I am going to quess and say it sounds like it has to be inside the tranny, just for the simple fact its a quattro, and it wouldnt be in the clutch/ flywheel becasuse it would do it in every gear

doesn't the audi switch to mainly FWD @ freeway speeds? i have f***ed up a axle replacement b4.. sometimes they do go in and out... i do agree with you superman it is prob inside the tranny!! just hoping that it could go in and out like my johnson![:p]

superman_006
04-20-2007, 09:13 PM
doesn't the audi switch to mainly FWD @ freeway speeds? i have f***ed up a axle replacement b4.. sometimes they do go in and out... i do agree with you superman it is prob inside the tranny!! just hoping that it could go in and out like my johnson![:p]

Nope the quattro is all mechanical, its AWD all the time (unless something is broke)

Tiluleshpingen
04-21-2007, 03:37 AM
does it do this as soon as yo put it in 5th?
does it do as soon as you put in 5th while on WOT?
if so it could be ur clutch slipping if its under load but the speeds(rpms) are not mached up meaning u're shifting to early, the load could be to stressful forthe clutch and it might slip or it could even be to stressful for the gears, but i highly doubt that ever happens

mike-2ptzero
04-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Nope the quattro is all mechanical, its AWD all the time (unless something is broke)

Well the Audi TT quattro(really comes with haldex) works to where it is 100% fwd till it spins the front tires then becomes 75/25. Maybe that is why he thought the A4 works that way too, but it has a Torsen setup not a Haldex.

superman_006
04-21-2007, 08:23 AM
The only thing I can think of is your sycronizers/ dog teeth are screwed up on your 5th gear cog, and once your reaching that RPM its kicking it atleast partialy out of the gear, but you should be able to see/ feel the shifter move too. But that would be a strainge gear to do that to, also you wouldnt be able speed shift into 5th (you would have to wait for the rpms to come down)

cipherpunk
05-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds to me like your clutch is slipping. When you're at WOT in 5th gear there is a lot of load on the engine, so you're going to be making a lot of boost, and there is a lot of torque between the tranny and the engine. It makes sense that it would slip here. When the clutch was going on my (don't laugh) old Volvo turbo, it acted like this at first (only slipping in top gear).

Ertman
05-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds just like my clutch when it decided to shit the bed. It gave out during some "spirited" driving on the way home from work one evening.

Rosati
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Clutch.