PDA

View Full Version : Car shutting down...plz help!

b5power
04-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Well today i was on my lunch break, when i was driving my rpm starts to bog up and down i was like,"WFD!"then shuts off at a complete stop and did this for awhile too, thank goodness i was able to make it back on time.lol. All i can think of was the the spark plugs or coil packs or even be the GIAC CHIP (recently installed from AWE_TUNING). I've heard that if the chip wasnt soldered well enough it might mess up the car. is that true? correct me if im wrong.please help me. any suggestions. thanks[az]

audiness
04-14-2007, 07:55 PM
are you getting a CEL? have you checked for codes?

b5power
04-14-2007, 08:07 PM
yeah i have a CEL, im going to autozone tomorrow to check for the code. hopefully its nothing major.

b5power
04-14-2007, 08:47 PM
well just got home, got in my car, turned the key, the car turned on and 3 seconds later it just shuts off. whats wrong. now i can even drive my car to autozone. gez!

Zodiak
04-14-2007, 09:14 PM
5spd or tip?

Do you have a boost guage?

Without more information (like fault codes) it's hard to diagnose, but I would first check the bypass valve. Since it's easy to replace and relatively cheap.

DTMGuy
04-14-2007, 09:16 PM
this happen to me recently... it turn out to be my MAF...

b5power
04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Its tip and unfornately i dont have a boost gauge, well just 5 minutes i was able to pull in my garage after like 7 minutes of trying. gezz! well i took out the ecu and took off the top part to see if the chip was soldered good and it looked good to me, should i look out for anything else when i see if it was soldered properly. i diconnected the battery, throttle. MAF.

b5power
04-14-2007, 09:23 PM
this happen to me recently... it turn out to be my MAF...

how did you know it was you MAF did you get a code?and did you clean the MAF or replace the MAF?

TurbousMaximus
04-14-2007, 09:51 PM
if you disconnect the maf and the car still doesn't turn on, then its not the maf.

Ado
04-14-2007, 11:54 PM
i would say that its your ecu. sorry.
do u have a 2nd ecu or can somebody lend u one for a day or so

DeanUW
04-15-2007, 12:01 AM
I dont know about the rpms going up but if they are going down and your car seems to die at idle it may be a large boost leak.

b5power
04-15-2007, 12:08 AM

deng, nah i dont have a 2nd ECU or anyone to lend me one for a day : (

b5power
04-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I dont know about the rpms going up but if they are going down and your car seems to die at idle it may be a large boost leak.

yeah i do have a boost leak somewhere i thought i found it and fixed it but i guess i ONLY FOUND ONE of them...

DeanUW
04-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Hmm, I'm still not 100% sure its a boost leak due to me not having all the facts and witnessing the symptoms myself but did this problem start off not too bad and increasingly getting worse till you cant really drive it at all?? Do you have any Intercooler work, FMIC, anything from hot side or cold side of intercooler that may become loose?

Poopie
04-15-2007, 12:36 AM
you could have blown off a hose off the IC or off the turbo with the increased boost.

Zodiak
04-15-2007, 01:25 AM
I doubt it's your ECU. But you could always post on your regional forum and see if some one with a similar engine can stop by for 20min and swap for a second so you can rule it out of the equation.

I would check every vacuum hose to make sure that nothing is disconnected or breaking apart. Might as well invest in a boost gauge now.

B5-B_Broke
04-15-2007, 01:32 AM
theres a great boost leak test check out http://fix your shit (http://www.a4mods.com) has a bunch of other walk throughs with the maf some say to use alcohol and put it in a bag and swish lightly and let dry over night i just bought the maf spray cleaner it works great. but check the vacuum hoses and i doubt a leaky DV would do that. and if it was stuttering real bad then you might have a real bad misfire.

b5power
04-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks everybody

b5power
04-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Hmm, I'm still not 100% sure its a boost leak due to me not having all the facts and witnessing the symptoms myself but did this problem start off not too bad and increasingly getting worse till you cant really drive it at all?? Do you have any Intercooler work, FMIC, anything from hot side or cold side of intercooler that may become loose?

yeah at 1st is wasnt too bad than it got worse like within 5minutes and i had to keep stepping on the gas, you know, everything is stock except the chip and i 've been having to drain OIL out of my intercooler hoses : ( for quite awhile now. o i have a stock IC.

b5power
04-15-2007, 09:05 AM
theres a great boost leak test check out http://fix your shit (http://www.a4mods.com) has a bunch of other walk throughs with the maf some say to use alcohol and put it in a bag and swish lightly and let dry over night i just bought the maf spray cleaner it works great. but check the vacuum hoses and i doubt a leaky DV would do that. and if it was stuttering real bad then you might have a real bad misfire.

yeah ill problee do the boost leak test, hopefully find out whats happening. how do i check if i have a bad misfire? because at some point when i was trying to go, it sounded like a mis fire.

ct1.8t4me
04-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Sounds like a boost leak to me. When I did my FMIC, I kept blowing hoses off when I went for test runs and the car acted exactly like you described when I blew the hose off. The RPMs would go up and down and the car would barely run or just flat out die.

Militant-Grunt
04-15-2007, 09:48 AM

I think its the ECU as well, sounds exactly like the same problem I had, would start, then turn off, crank and not turn on at all, eventually it would start again, run for a little then turn off again. GIAC could've messed up the solder, that or the ECU just plain failed, it happens.

b5power
04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I think its the ECU as well, sounds exactly like the same problem I had, would start, then turn off, crank and not turn on at all, eventually it would start again, run for a little then turn off again. GIAC could've messed up the solder, that or the ECU just plain failed, it happens.

just wondering if its possible by just lookin at the chip if it was soldered unproperly?

But really i hope its not my ecu. : ( or even at that hope the ECU didnt fail on me. Im going to Home Depot today and makiing a boost leak tester...

Militant-Grunt
04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
just wondering if its possible by just lookin at the chip if it was soldered unproperly?

But really i hope its not my ecu. : ( or even at that hope the ECU didnt fail on me. Im going to Home Depot today and makiing a boost leak tester...

I couldn't tell, everything worked fine after I put in a stock ECU.

b5power
04-15-2007, 04:51 PM
do you guys think if i send my ecu back to AWE TUNING, they'll do it free of charge?

Hugh Jass
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int6.shtml

Code 1.

It will give you the code for your check engine light.

b5power
04-16-2007, 08:52 AM
well i found a boost leak from a vacuum hose connecting to my 710n, so im guessin its the ECu : (, im going to ship it today. and hopefully that will solve my problem.

b5power
04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Just Vag my car

codes:
PO300(random misfire)
PO301(Cynlinder 1 misfire)
PO303(Cynlinder 3 misfire)
PO102(MAF Circuit Low Input)

I just called AWE-Tuning, and they said non of those have to do with the ECU.
Thay said it was either coilpacks and MAF, so ill go from there.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Zodiak
04-16-2007, 10:22 AM
swap the coil packs around to see which ones could be failing.

b5power
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
swap the coil packs around to see which ones could be failing.

Well the VAG displayed that it was 1 and 3 that are failing

B5-B_Broke
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah ill problee do the boost leak test, hopefully find out whats happening. how do i check if i have a bad misfire? because at some point when i was trying to go, it sounded like a mis fire. check your cel code and then play musical coil packs and see if it follows the coil pack and theres your misfire

DTMGuy
04-17-2007, 12:27 AM
how did you know it was you MAF did you get a code?and did you clean the MAF or replace the MAF?

see i didnt get a CEL at all.. my mechanic said it was my ECU but after doing some more test it turn out to be my MAF and had to be replaced.. and now the car runs way better