PDA

View Full Version : oil drain bolt fix?

ibew5audi
04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Does anybody know of an easy fix for a stripped oil pan beside the obvious oil pan replacement?

Matt@JHM
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
The only solution I can think of is drilling the hole out larger and re-tapping it.

ibew5audi
04-12-2007, 07:00 PM
wouldn't that require dropping it since the metal isn't magnetic? A machinist is the right guy for this one.

seatown88
04-12-2007, 07:03 PM
how stripped is it?

bronz
04-12-2007, 07:14 PM
just make a custom bolt with a seal and drill small holes in the block to hold it with other two very small screws

ibew5audi
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Had a hard time backing it out so I worked it slowly. Bolt wasn't stripped because it's actually steel. Threads in pan are holding bolt pretty good but it used to tighten to a dead stop unlike now. Doesn't leave me with a peaceful, easy feeling.

bronz
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
or you can use some high heat thread locker gel

seatown88
04-12-2007, 07:27 PM
what about using a tap just to clean the threads up

ct1.8t4me
04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I had mine stripped out and it sucks. I had a garage try and get it off for me when I had my clutch done and they had no luck either. I actually drilled a small hole in my pan, tapped it, and put a new drain plug right next to the old one. It made me quite nervous doing it, but it has worked fine for me with no leaks for 20,000 miles.

ibew5audi
04-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I was going to do that but my tap kit wasn't that big. I think it will hold for the next 7k mi but i'm going to have to address it by the next change. It's probably too late for the thread clean up. I haven't ever x-threaded it either.
Bronz-I'm not seeing what you're putting down.

ibew5audi
04-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I had mine stripped out and it sucks. I had a garage try and get it off for me when I had my clutch done and they had no luck either. I actually drilled a small hole in my pan, tapped it, and put a new drain plug right next to the old one. It made me quite nervous doing it, but it has worked fine for me with no leaks for 20,000 miles.
I would tap it but I don't know if the potential shrapnel would get sucked up. Last under 200k oil change on stock motor. Yeah, mine backed out like normal for the first couple turns and then bound. Did you vac out the new hole?

er1c
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I had this problem--- I tried everything... finally... in 10 degree weather this winter, I used a torch and heated it up for a few minutes and it finally budges its way out.

ibew5audi
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
help section at advanced auto-oversized bolt-14mm for $2 + a new copper washer.
Easy fix. No more leak. Just bolts into existing stripped hole.

B5-B_Broke
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
auto zone or whatever parts store of your choice sell these oil plugs that are like rubber with a lever and it swells in the hole so it doesnt leak and also a self tapping plug. these work pretty well

M1NDCRlME
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
try a heli-coil. They screw into the stripped hole and snap off when properly torqued. once installed correctly you have a re-threaded hole with new threads. they are used in spark plug holes which we all know have to survuve lots of pressure and heat so an oil pan should be no problem. Just make sure you get the correct size.

ct1.8t4me
04-19-2007, 06:40 AM
I did mine last night. There is a unique feeling you get when you drill a 1/2" hole into your aluminum oil pan. Everything worked out great however. I used a piggy-back type screw in drain plug. Basically cut the threads in to the pan, thread the big bolt in, and then thread a smaller plug into that one. Works like a charm.

I had originally drilled a hole into the pan and tapped new threads and tried to use that as a plug, but after 3 oil changes, it started leaking. So I used that existing hole, made it larger and put a proper plug in.