PDA

View Full Version : possible pixel death fix

B5-B_Broke
04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
no known cure so far, can happen at any time.

pixel just start dying and dead lines appear

some fixes that had been mentioned but not 100% confirmed are:

place magnet in front of the dead pixels
dimm down the lights to the lowest setting
pull the cluster and resolder the connections to the screen

please post up if you try this and let us know how it works i myself suck with a solder gun

CaSp3r9
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Uhhhh.... magnet? No?

B5-B_Broke
04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Uhhhh.... magnet? No?

why not? if its already jacked up as mine is which i cant see it unless the temp is under 55 it really wont make a difference to try it out now on a good one there is no point so a magnet yes.

k0mpresd
04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
would you take a magnet and rub it against your computers motherboard?

it prob wouldnt be a good idea to rub a magnet against your cluster...there are chips on the cluster that have software on them

B5-B_Broke
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
if it really isnt magnetic sensitve material i dont see why not it my induce a current or voltage but not much im talking about getting a fridge magnet not a sub magnet and no i wouldnt but if it was messed up and somebody said they heard this will fix it then yea sure its already messed up. and i think the post means to rub the magnet on the face of the screen it will probably pull the pixels the soldering part i dont know i ve heard something about crappy connection on the display i dont know ill give it a try and ill will post back up on what happened if your right im fuked 600 buck either way because thats what audi want for the shit if im write everybody can fix their shitty clusters.

Devious27t
04-12-2007, 04:40 PM
any of those would not fix the problem.. you need to replace the ribbon that goes from the circuit board to the LCD as it cracks over time.....

audiness
04-12-2007, 05:25 PM
replacing ribbons is not an easy thing to do

B5-B_Broke
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
man im willing to try anything jsut so i can have that peice of doo-doo working i work electronics and we have a solder shop i will check and see if they can do it but thanx for the input i got the above fix from another web site.. but also a while back on ebay there was for sale a boost guage that replaced that specific unit and still kept the original info on it it was tight i dont remember how much it was but must be cheaper than the whole unit from the dealer i will look if i find it ill post the link but mine is so bad i just turn it off but would be nice to have a boost guage built into it to keep it a sleeper.

Militant-Grunt
04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Get a RS4 cluster which has a LCD that doesn't break haha.

DND
04-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I've got the same problem but I figured the effort to take it apart wasn't worth it.
Ideally it would be nice to reverse engineer and replace with better components but that is likely a huge effort.

B5-B_Broke
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I've got the same problem but I figured the effort to take it apart wasn't worth it.
Ideally it would be nice to reverse engineer and replace with better components but that is likely a huge effort.

yea thats true and plus some of the chips they use are almost impossible to cross reference into american part # but ill keep everyone posted on what i do like i said either way its 600 bucks might as well figure out a cure.

B5-B_Broke
04-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Get a RS4 cluster which has a LCD that doesn't break haha.

i hope it doesnt break with the price of those cars.

Devious27t
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
replacing ribbons is not an easy thing to do

especially that one. its very very small and VERY fragile