PDA

View Full Version : removal of front sway bar with race springs

b5v6
04-12-2007, 01:12 PM
On passatworld removal of the front sway bar while riding on sport suspension seems to be the new best thing. Anyone have thoughts on what this would do for a quattro on race springs? Word has it, the fwd passats haddle neutral after removal.

http://passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236466

98a4
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Why?
Get H sports.

And to be blunt. You cant care to much about handling if you only have race springs....

onemoremile
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
He's still on to something. I would pull the front bar from my Jetta before autocross events and it really helped turn in. If I ever autocross the A4 again I'll do it without that front bar. FWIW, I do run H-Sports and have run them with stock sport suspension and KW coilovers at both autocross and track day events. Removing the front bar is fine for lower speeds but could get really sketchy on an entrance ramp or emergency maneuver. I've thought about running the rear bar soft and removing the front for a track session but I can already get the car sideways with both bars on. The car really is neutral and any push is from driving technique. These cars really like a slow deep entry and a full power late apex. Trail braking helps but shouldn't be done at higher speeds.

b5v6
04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Why?
Get H sports.

And to be blunt. You cant care to much about handling if you only have race springs....

I'm not sure if this is a commercial or an attempt to knock someone because they don't have what you see as superior adjustable coilovers. If you have them and you don't adjust them prior to each track session then you ultimately wasted your money. Further, when I do track my vehicle, I don't have the time to do practice runs and make adjustments. Therefore, spending the excess amound of cash for coilovers was a poor alternative.

As far as handling, what would springs have to do with me wanting a more nuetral handling characteristic? My spring rates are far more stiffer than some cars that come with less understeer. Thus, your comments are null.

Thank you for your efforts.

onemoremile
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Coilovers don't need to be adjusted for each track day. I found a compromise between street and track and had them corner balanced. It was superior to a spring/strut combo. Your struts damping has to work with the spring rate to keep the body in control and the contact patch on the ground. Simply running higher rates may have the tire losing contact with the tarmac more. Everything works together as a system and should be treated and tuned as such.

b5v6
04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Coilovers don't need to be adjusted for each track day.
Why would you even think that was what I was suggesting? If you are leaving them at one setting, then why purchase coilovers? If you are running on a track, you would want to set the load at each corner to maximize your performance for each individual track. If this is not necessary, then why would I want something adjustable?

I found a compromise between street and track and had them corner balanced. It was superior to a spring/strut combo. Your struts damping has to work with the spring rate to keep the body in control and the contact patch on the ground. Simply running higher rates may have the tire losing contact with the tarmac more. Everything works together as a system and should be treated and tuned as such.
How do you know I didn't purchase a spring/strut combo? Combos are not only sold as coilovers.

Can we keep this a sway bar removal thread as apposed to a suspension/handling debate?

98a4
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Basically your comming accrost like an asshole. I have 100% valid points, just because your understanding of suspension is limited to spring rates doesnt mean I'm wrong. Explain why every DTM or any true track car for that matter runs coils? There has to be a reason. Statis/Ohlins doesnt even make spring/strut combos IIRC, notice my logic?

b5v6
04-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Basically your comming accrost like an asshole. I have 100% valid points, just because your understanding of suspension is limited to spring rates doesnt mean I'm wrong. Explain why every DTM or any true track car for that matter runs coils? There has to be a reason. Statis/Ohlins doesnt even make spring/strut combos IIRC, notice my logic?

If I'm coming accross as an asshole, then you definately are as well. I was only defending my choice to not purchase coilovers. You just stated my point above. DEDICATED track car....Do I have a dedicated track car? NO! Do you? Probably not. Dedicated track cars make adjustments prior to running each track.

If I sound like an asshole, I apologize, but when the subject is not about coilovers, then don't make critical comments about someone not running them.

theskuh
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
No sway on the front is old school auto-x trick to get nose weighted cars to oversteer. Give it a shot and let us know.