PDA

View Full Version : GIAC Hammer File

Diesel_A4
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Anyone have this?! What supporting mods were neccessary with using this software.. I currently have a k03 sport with dhalback chip, mods in sig and a FMIC. Is it even worth it to do a k04 upgrade?! For the money I might as well go BT it seems.

Oricle
04-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Anyone have this?! What supporting mods were neccessary with using this software.. I currently have a k03 sport with dhalback chip, mods in sig and a FMIC. Is it even worth it to do a k04 upgrade?! For the money I might as well go BT it seems.

Go BT

Diesel_A4
04-11-2007, 09:46 PM
lol easier said than done...I recently got a k04 turbo so I have it sitting here. Only reason im considering the upgrade..I dont REALLY want to spend alot of money doing it either. So honestly going BT is really out of the question for now.

StreetUrchin
04-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Well I am usually the LAST guy to scream "Search" and whatnot...but considering a title search for "Hammer" reveals two threads, the one that I am posting in now and the one that I made a few months ago detailing all the parts purchased, their costs and a review of the setup, I have to say...SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND.

But I won't be a total dick, here ya go.
(http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110802&highlight=hammer)

Oricle
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
lol easier said than done...I recently got a k04 turbo so I have it sitting here. Only reason im considering the upgrade..I dont REALLY want to spend alot of money doing it either. So honestly going BT is really out of the question for now.

In all honesty you can have a GTRS set up for as much as a Hammer K04.
Price of GTRS-$1400(you could pick up used for about $1000)
Price of Tune-$400
Price of 5 Bar FPR-$50
No more than $1800 for the complete GTRS set up I'm currently running, and I pushed out 250WHP with a very rich tune on stock injectors, cat, SMIC. Only thing I had was a 3" exhaust

Now I do have a set of 364cc injectors because I'm doing some more work, and should be at about 270-280WHP. But if you're looking on a budget let me know. If you're and interested in going to the BT, and picking up an extra 50WHP opposed to the k04.

Price of Hammer File-$500
Price of k04-$750
Price of injectors-$250
~$1500

indyfab302
04-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Hammer File - supporting mods (http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=170)

EuroA4
04-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm getting the flash for the hammer file tomorrow, so I'll have some feedback by the weekend. The nice thing about my set-up is...I could easily swap in an eliminator and do some minor tweaks with Lemmiwinks (or get a Uni file) and I'm at BT numbers.

Diesel_A4
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
awesome, thanks for the info and euroa4 def post up some impressions on it.

Diesel_A4
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
now if you upgrade injectors you DO NOT need the 5.0 FPR correct?! If I can do this upgrade for under 500 with everything supporting I think im going to, I have most of the things needed...Can probably sell my dhalback k03 chip for enough to buy the actual hammer file

EuroA4
04-13-2007, 08:56 PM
correct...with the bigger injectors you need to drop the fpr back down to the 4 bar.

I got the flash done today and it feels great in terms of power...and actually more so in torque. Its amazing what the right flow of air and fuel can do to the same K04. Off the line it feels amazingly quick (which i didn't feel at all with the regular K04 chip). It was dark on the way home, and I was in traffic for a while, so I'll try to get some time for some VAG logs soon. Overall I am very pleased...and hopefully with the FMIC this summer will not be heat soak city, and I can enjoy some race gas runs as well.

Diesel_A4
04-13-2007, 09:18 PM
The only thing that turns me off to the giac chip is how theres so many diff modes. You lose your cruise control with any giac chip right?! I would never put it into race gas mode or anything like that. I like the dhalback k03 chip because its simple, only one mode. No screwing around with diff settings or losing the cruise control or anything. Is it a really noticable diff giong from a reg k04 giac file to the hammer file?! Enough to make the money worth it?

sean1.8t
04-13-2007, 09:47 PM
^you're thinking of the APR chips. they use the cuise control module to switch different modes..

the giac comes with only one mode. if you choose to have optional ones then you can get their hand held flashborder that plugs into your OBD port

speedydragon
04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
cruise control still works...i use it all the time, 34mpg on free way @ 70mph ^^

Diesel_A4
04-14-2007, 07:26 AM
You mean the giac hammer file is only one mode and doesnt have that stupid cruise control crap?! ahhh thats awesome..makes me want to do this even more now lol

EuroA4
04-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah, the GIAC chips use either the handheld switcher or your VAG-COM to switch programs. The only options for this file are 3x program (stock, hammer, race*) or 5x (which adds valet and kill). You cannot just get the hammer file alone.

*Race requires 100 octane.

If you already have the reg. K04 chip/flash...you get a full credit toward the new files...and only have to pay the difference for the additional two files. So basically its a $150 upgrade from the reg. K04 program.

IMO...its totally worth it if you have all the supporting mods and are trying to get to stage 2.5 (2+) before going BT. I really feel like this will hold me off through the siummer until Fall when I can get a new daily driver....and retire this car for weekends only....and start the BT project.

Diesel_A4
04-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I dont really plan on going BT ever, just want somethign that wont depress me when I hit the gas (I used to own a low 11 second Ls1 transam) So I really dont care to much about going THAT fast anymore

EuroA4
04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
This will not depress at all...I think its a great file so far, but if you are spending the money to get all the supporting mods to run this...you could go BT for just a little bit more. I think that's what alot of people do, and so they skip this and go right to BT.

Diesel_A4
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I have most of the mods already (reason why i was thinking of doing it, asides cost of chip which im hoping I could sell my dhalback for enough to buy the hammer file..it would cost me maybe 500?) I have a FMIC and the K04 already. All I really need are the injectors, the 225TT MAF, a test pipe (which I would prefer not to do) and a gasket kit for the k04

EuroA4
04-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I used a HFC instead of a test pipe in order to pass inspection. The injectors should be about $150-200 (Seimens) and $300 for OE 225 TT versions. The TT MAF should be about $80-100...and you can use the stock 4bar fpr. You'll also have to workout the intake trace due to the larger 3" MAF. I would also recommend a larger exhaust manifold to get better flow and quicker spool up from the Ko4 ( I think this is what has opened up a bit more top end with this set-up).

If you bought the whole 3x program GIAC file it would be $645. So I'd think you could sell the Dahlback for $350-400 and only have to pay the difference.