PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Install Questions

rowdysaudi1
04-11-2007, 06:36 AM
I searched, but I found only DIY stuff.

I need to know where I can go to get the rear brake pads and rotors changed. I'm in Florida, so none of that custom West Coast information please. I know our cars need that special piston tool, but I don't want to go to a place and have them take my wheels off and tell me they can't do it - it's a waste of time. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way - do you HAVE to get the special tool for Audi's to take the rear brake pads off? I know some of you have done it without it - how big of a bitch is that?

Yuikio
04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
It's a bitch, but if I can do it in my driveway with needle-nose pliers, some mechanic with a lift getting paid sure can.

seank
04-11-2007, 08:52 AM
do it yourself and save money, brakes are one of the easiest things to replace. any local autoparts store will either sell or rent you a piston compressing tool.

Oricle
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I picked up a honda OEM tool. Which is a 4 sided cube, has different configurations to fit into the piston on each side. Just attaches to a socket and you twist. It was no more than $10. Than after that you just pull your calipers off put new pads on and repeat.

ActiveMonkey
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I did my rear brakes in in about half an hour while on my lunch. Though i have the ECS Tuning Brake tool... Needle nose will work, but domn that would be a bitch. I dunno. THe honda tool sounds promising though.

rowdysaudi1
04-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow, thanks for the great information. Now, if I had to make a list of what I needed in order to do this rear brake change at home...it would look something like...what?

Oricle
04-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Wow, thanks for the great information. Now, if I had to make a list of what I needed in order to do this rear brake change at home...it would look something like...what?

Honda Brake Tool(or the OEM one, or needle noses)
Brake Pads
Rotors(or get yours surfaced)
Basic set of wrenches.
Jack-and jack stands if you have.

rowdysaudi1
04-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Awesome. I'll get on this some weekend...thanks all.

apupi
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
If I decide to replace the rear rotors on my 2001 A4(B5), do I need to replace the wheel bearings? they do not make noise or anything like that, I removed the wheel and noticed it is the older type of bearings (semi-open)