PDA

View Full Version : HELP - MAF problem?

akielb
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok so last week I did a boost leak test (like this (http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/boostleak.html)). I ran out of compressed air fairly quickly, so I put everything back together and went to bed. I got up in the morning and my car would not start. It starts, but it dies instantly. If I rev the engine it sounds like its misfireing and then dies within a second or two.
I unplugged my MAF and my car will run. It isn't throwing any codes except for after I disconnected the MAF it puts out a CEL for low signal to MAF. So I figured that my MAF had just decided to die at that moment and it was a coincidence. I ordered a new MAF and I'm going to install it tomorrow.
any idea's??

edit: problem solved

CSHO1.8t
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
IC hose loose? try disconecting your ecu before replugging the MAF it might reset it.

Just an idea

akielb
04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Ic?

akielb
04-11-2007, 05:45 AM
IC=Intercooler? are you talking about the hose from the SMIC to my intake manifold?

pipe7284
04-11-2007, 06:01 AM
it happened to me before, what had happen was that i didnt tighten my DV hard enough to when the car boost it will hold, so every time i would go WOT (wide open throttle) the dv would fall off the TIP and make the car with the same symptoms yours have. most likely one of your intercooler hoses broke/ripped, is loose. check everything again.

mike-2ptzero
04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
well if you ran out of air that quickly at just low pressure there has to be a huge leak some where. Which is most likely a IC hose off causing a big enough leak that keeps the car from running since it is just sucking in unmetered air. You might have popped off one of the IC hoses when doing your pressure test if you used too much pressure.

akielb
04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I had a regulator in-line, and had that turned down to 10psi. And my tank only had about 60psi in it (1/2 full). I have a boost gauge and I spike at 10psi and usually dips down to around 5(before all this happened) I was looking for leak and made a really big one I guess.
#1 I'll visually look around the engine bay for a hose that fell off. #2 I'll "reload" my portable tank tonight and do the test again - I should be able to find which hose came off that way. If I don't find anything, I guess I'll have to call my local shop and schedule an appointment.

I'll update tonight

akielb
04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
[:D] I'm trying to decide if I should be happy that I found the problem or pissed that I spent $140 on a new MAF. Well It ended up being the TIP was not connected to the turbo at all - it was just hanging there. So car is back to normal. Thanks for everyone's help.