PDA

View Full Version : Burning Oil smell!!! ugher(pic)

Mattgfx
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
every time i drive fast, or let my car rev up a little bit, i get a terrible burning oil smell!! I had the Valve Cover Gasket replaces, but still No fix. There is also smoke coming from inside the oil cap after driving/ while engine is on. Some times i will get smoke from under my coolent tank( maybe oil dripping on intake manfoild)... this sucks!! help!!

Smell/ smoke (sometimes) coming from here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/mgbigair/45436536y5y54y5.jpg
Down under there.. i cant find the leak!! any help?

offroader1006
04-10-2007, 06:56 PM
leaking oil filter?

Mattgfx
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
it was just changed about 700 miles ago

hey4
04-10-2007, 07:40 PM
it might be stuff burning off, but again that usually only lasts a couple of days if that.

Mattgfx
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
yea, this has been going on for months..

JaVa
04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
if i odnt run synthetic in my 2.8 it burns a bit but not enuf to smell or see, when you say you see smoke under the oil filler cap is that when its hot and been running? my toyota was the same way, not much but just a hit of smoke/vapor would come out. dont know if that helps but whatever...

Mattgfx
04-10-2007, 08:07 PM
its running 5w-30 oil..
it will have noticeable smoke coming from the oil cap if you open it. and stay for awhile after the car is off..

Euro-Tuner
04-10-2007, 08:07 PM
not sure with the 30v's, but it could either be a rear cam seal (if the 30v's have them) valve cover gasket (easy), or head gasket (harder)

JaVa
04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
like i said before my old toyota had the same smoke/vapor out of the filler cap for awhile... ot too much tho and that thing leaked oil like a mofo... quater auart ervery 75-100 miles!!

kahng
04-10-2007, 11:10 PM
i've gott the same problem. mine is a 96 b5 and i posted like 3 threads about this problem and NOONE had been able to tell me a legit solution.... [:(]

b5v6
04-10-2007, 11:42 PM
not sure with the 30v's, but it could either be a rear cam seal (if the 30v's have them) valve cover gasket (easy), or head gasket (harder)

Audi 5V heads are pretty similar in design. If the valve cover gasket was replaced, I'd hope the cam tensioner gaskets were done as well.
http://scaudi.com/sc/index.php?showtopic=2728
It can be done without removing the timing belt or cams, see link above. Additionally, with the valve cover removed it is extremely simple to replace the oil seals at the cams, but this requires removal of the timing belt but not much more. Additionally, the crank case ventilation system on a 1.8T can cause the seals to fail. I imagine this would carry over to the V6 as well. The V6 breather system is known to clog, so you may want to check that out. You may have one problem causing others. If you had a mechanic accomplish this work, you're probably going to have to bring it back to a mechanic and have all your seals replaced (front crank and cam), which is going to set you back just as much, if not more, than having your valve cover gaskets replaced.

The head gaskets on these cars seem to last a great amount of time. I don't think it is the head gasket, but you never know unless it is checked. Any oil mixing with coolant?

Mattgfx
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
my mechanic cant find a leak, so he is going to "smoke" the engine and try and find a leak that way.. using inferred light... ill keep you guys updated!!

Mr.Black
04-11-2007, 06:25 PM

^^^^^^^ yup