PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of side-side shifter slop? Anyone know?

Ewok_Fetus
04-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a good 2-3" of slop side to side and my new ebay short shifter didn't help it at all... Any ideas?

TurbousMaximus
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129717

Ewok_Fetus
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I am not going to spend that sort of money... I thought there was like some sort of factory upgrade type thing... Stronger rubber from the B6, I just cannot find that link again...

sean1.8t
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I am not going to spend that sort of money....

well then you're not going to fix the problem

mike-2ptzero
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I am not going to spend that sort of money... I thought there was like some sort of factory upgrade type thing... Stronger rubber from the B6, I just cannot find that link again...

You think a OEM part is going to be much cheaper? Do you plan on upgrading from that upgraded OEM part when it wears out?

Do it right 1 time and be done with it.

Ewok_Fetus
04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Another thing is, does it REALLY cost $90 to take two metal peices and weld them together? That is a bit excessive I think... I can make my own for maybe $5... I don't need something for performance, just something to fix the slop... I found the link but cannot make out the part number of the upgrade... And my peice has lasted well over 100k miles so I guess I will upgrade in another 100k...

mike-2ptzero
04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Another thing is, does it REALLY cost $90 to take two metal peices and weld them together? That is a bit excessive I think... I can make my own for maybe $5... I don't need something for performance, just something to fix the slop... I found the link but cannot make out the part number of the upgrade... And my peice has lasted well over 100k miles so I guess I will upgrade in another 100k...

Its called R&D, testing and production costs.

Matt@JHM
04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
The JHM solid short throw and the solid linkage upgrade is worth the money. Everyone throws hundreds of dollars at every other performance part - why not the shifter? Ill post a video later that shows my slop with the JHM setup.

pac1085
04-10-2007, 05:02 PM

Heh last I checked its about $160 for the linkage from the dealer. It only comes with the whole rod.

Ewok_Fetus
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, the whole linkage is that much, but like I said, there was somewhere that sold JUST the u-joint upgrade... I have to find it again...

Matt@JHM
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Here's a video I shot with my shifter setup (http://www.jonsprecisionmachining.com/Elitedrumr_Shifter.avi)[drive]

P.S. Ignore the unregistered "watermark" crap.

P.P.S. Ignore my sonic garbage and messy glove box. The wife did it.

jaybquick@JHM
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM

The hardened metric shoulder bolts at my cost are $5 each. Plus the modifications we do to one of them on a lathe to make sure it clears the other linkage rod and tranny case. The "two metal pieces" are also cut perfectly flat on a lathe to exacting tolerances to insure proper length (if it wasn't perfectly flat, it would chew up your linkage rod in no time). What else, packaging, time, 10mm reaming of the holes for a good fit and PTFE impregnated washers. Oh yeah, grease as well.

mike-2ptzero
04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Ignore my sonic garbage and messy glove box. The wife did it.

LOL, Blame the wife.