PDA

View Full Version : locked up tie rod ends

burner799
04-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Got some new tires today and went in for an alignment. Aside from charging me double the regular price ($120), I watched the guy swear for about 2 hours until they told me my front tie rod end is frozen and they would have to charge me an extra 80 for labor to get it undone. I told them to leave it the way it was so bascially i gave them 120 bucks for nothing and my car drives the same as it did before. I am kinda pissed because the car always steered strait but the wheel was tilted slightly to the left, which is what the guy was tryin to fix. Do you guys think this is legit or did they scam me....

Ewok_Fetus
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
If you paid for nothing then you go jipped! I paid only $80 to get both REPLACED that were frozen! One word... Heat! Take a torch to those things (move boot out of way first) and see what you can do with it...

audiness
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
take it to a reputable shop?

Euro Avant
04-09-2007, 08:02 PM
If you paid for nothing then you go jipped! I paid only $80 to get both REPLACED that were frozen! One word... Heat! Take a torch to those things (move boot out of way first) and see what you can do with it...

I had one replace because the passenger side was frozen

AudiA4_20T
04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
are we talking about your outers? All you gotta do is get a special tie rod end tool a shop down the street from me had these and you get it on a rachet with a pipe on the end, that sucker comes right out

superman_006
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you paid $120 to watch a grown man throw a temper tantrum to me. I would take it to a mechanic next.

dmaize
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
my driver one was froze and i had to torch it. and then use a pipe wrench to twist it off.

when i put the new one in i used antiseeze

burner799
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
they tried everything. if there is a special tool required, I can go back and bitch at them. If it's just seized then he did spend the labor trying to get it undone and I would feel bad complaining. I went to the shop americas tires refered me to. Basically paid for nothing; looking at the before and after numbers, they are pretty much the same....kinda disapointed.

superman_006
04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
I just used a craftman wrench, put I figure that audi makes a special crow's foot becuase it pretty tight in there

ProOnThaSnow
04-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I used to do alignments all the time. No matter how "frozen" a tie-rod end is, you can get it off. Penetrating oil, and a torch are necessities. If you get that thing red-hot (not to the point its meltin), it will come off with no problem. I've done hundreds of alignments, and it does work. He may have been struggling, but there is always a way to work smarter and not harder. Heat, and torque (breaker bar) are usually the cure-alls in this case.