PDA

View Full Version : lets talk downpipes, cats, test pipes, exhaust, etc.

4ringAR
04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
ok, i need to get this straight.

stock, the car goes: turbo>cat>exhaust
where does the downpipe go in there? is there even a downpipe on the stock exhaust?

so a catback exhaust has all of the piping from the cat, back?

then a turboback would eliminate the cat because it is piping from the turbo back, right? with what? does the down-pipe replace it?

and a testpipe replaces the cat, i know that.

and do any companies sell down-pipes with out the entire exhaust system?

[confused] [confused] thanks

seank
04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
the down pipe comes form the cat down to the exhaust the leads to the rear of the car, TT tuning sells a downpipe i think.

TQMB5
04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
all you have to do is go look at your car, then look at pics, your a smart man, nothing like figuring it out for yourself!

4ringAR
04-08-2007, 04:09 PM
all you have to do is go look at your car, then look at pics, your a smart man, nothing like figuring it out for yourself!
i have tried to figure it out myself. but i was confused as to why it would be so much more difficult to remove the downpipe, as i have been asking around at shops about installing my exhaust that will be coming soon. having it be turboback as opposed to catback is $40 to $50 more.

also, how come some people call the borla a catback, when it has a downpipe--therefore it must be a turboback?

and i would have thought that a turboback would go from the turbo, back. not from the cat back.

thanks to seank who responded helpfully.

seank
04-08-2007, 04:12 PM
no the down pipe connects to the cat, therefore it is a cat back. a turbo back exhaust will include a testpipe or HFC, a downpipe and the rear section. the down pipe is never eliminated.

4ringAR
04-08-2007, 04:14 PM
no the down pipe connects to the cat, therefore it is a cat back. a turbo back exhaust will include a testpipe or HFC, a downpipe and the rear section. the down pipe is never eliminated.

ok, i had talked to someone local who said that if it has a downpipe it is turboback.

TQMB5
04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
look, do not respond and tell me i didn't respond helpfully, first off, all of the stuff you are asking about can be found by searching. try not to limit your resources to just audizine, their are many good sites out their (howstuffworks.com) that you can figure this info out. I responded the way i did because i am a visual learning and tend to get the "click" in my head when i just go out their and look at how it all works. i am sorry if i offended you in trying to sort out your confusion

seank
04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
for other cars like a WRX that is true but not for all cars, as they all have the cats located in different places.

4ringAR
04-08-2007, 04:24 PM
look, do not respond and tell me i didn't respond helpfully, first off, all of the stuff you are asking about can be found by searching. try not to limit your resources to just audizine, their are many good sites out their (howstuffworks.com) that you can figure this info out. I responded the way i did because i am a visual learning and tend to get the "click" in my head when i just go out their and look at how it all works. i am sorry if i offended you in trying to sort out your confusion

sorry if i offended you. as i said, i had tried to figure it out myself, but i couldnt, from what i could see on my car. also, a couple of my questions i wouldnt be able to figure out since i dont have a turbo back exhaust or anything.

once again, sorry if i offended you.

Russell2686
04-08-2007, 04:25 PM
any of the exhaust companies (miltek,apr,borla) that say cat back exhaust system for a b5 a4 is going to include the downpipe. A test pipe or HFC will replace your cat which will then make your system a Turbo back exhaust system.

A4quattro1.8T
04-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Turbo back starts from the turbo. Catback starts from the cat. Simple. Most exhausts for our cars come with a downpipe because of the fact that the cat is connected directly to the turbo: Turbo=>Cat=>Downpipe=>Exhaust. Most older turbo cars are set up: Turbo=>Downpipe=>Cat=>Exhaust.