PDA

View Full Version : Weird Humming when steering...

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Just started a few days ago, mostly when I take sharp turns/turn in and out of parking spots theres a humming coming from the wheel wells or something underneath the car. I checked everything out and the tires aren't rubbing up against anything, the steering and handling is still spot on, so I don't get what the hell the sound is all about. Its pretty loud at times, not quite a hum or a grinding noise...

Any ideas?

Maybe I need new suspension? Cars got 97K on it...

Mattgfx
04-07-2007, 08:52 AM
i think thats normal, just the powersteering kicking in when the wheel is turned all the way..

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 08:59 AM
I've never heard the sound before...I was thinking the powersteering fluid might be low...

This doesn't sound normal...been driving the car for 6 years never heard the noise

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 09:03 AM
yes definetly check the fluid sounds like the problem

Alan
04-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Does it only happen when you turn the steering wheel the whole way to one side?

because when I turn it the whole way to either side, my car vibrates a little, and makes a noise, I think its normal.

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 09:12 AM
No, its happening all the time, its the loudest when I move the steeringwheel significantly/sharp turns or getting into parking spots...it doesn't seem normal.

how does one check the fluid level?

dukez
04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Twist the power fluid cap off and see if theres any black liquid in there, especially at the marker level where it says minimum (or low). I predict theres none in there and thats your problem. B5s leak all the time.

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 10:18 AM
thanks man, i'll give that a check later today.

If theres none in there, how bad or necessary is it for me to get it filled quickly?

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
you need to fill it right away and you need to use OEM fluid only or you risk screwing up your rack

20vpower
04-07-2007, 10:30 AM
ya thats wat was wrong wit mine, use oem fluid only or the sound will stay forever, its just sounds horrible when driving in public places huh?

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, its getting bad - should I try to fill it myself or just take the car down to the audi dealership..the earliest i could go is next friday morning...should I try not to drive the car around until then?

-YeM

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 10:43 AM
that sucks man...you can fill it yourself if you have OEM fluid or pentosin fluid. I wouldnt drive the car for a week with no power steering fluid.

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Shit...well I'm going outside now to check it out..hopefull there is some fluid left in there...I sort of have to drive my car and I don't understand how the fluid could be low...I have 1000miles left before my next oil change and they should have seen it was low at my last change.

yemntftb
04-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Well - Just checked the powersteering fluid - half of the tank is full with the black fluid, so it should be fine to try to drive I would assume...

Maybe a suspension issue? Wheelwell issue?

dukez
04-07-2007, 03:43 PM
If its not the PS fluid, then then check your CV boots and see if they are torn, maybe your joints are f'ed up. F'ed up CV joints makes noise.

buck
04-07-2007, 04:08 PM
If the fluid is good - could very well be the tie-rod ends.

a4justin
04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
WTF i'm having this same problem too, the ride is smooth as eggs i dont have any pulling or nothing. there a loud howling sound at times and it happens when i turn sometimes. as soon as i stop driving, it stops. i donw know what the hell its. the fluids are ok too.

i also am getting this HUGE smoke plum when sitting idle for more than 1 minute. my car starts pouring whiteish smoke out the tail...i checked for leaks and i see none. on occasion i get the p0422 error, the car came with a aftermarket cat so i just assume its something dealing with that and clear the code. it doesn't smoke anyother time other than that...using bosch platinum 3 node plugs too...but plan ongetting some ngk's.

yemntftb
04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Damn i don't really know what any of those components are or how much they will cost me to fix if they are a problem...

dukez
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
i also am getting this HUGE smoke plum when sitting idle for more than 1 minute. my car starts pouring whiteish smoke out the tail...i checked for leaks and i see none. on occasion i get the p0422 error, the car came with a aftermarket cat so i just assume its something dealing with that and clear the code. it doesn't smoke anyother time other than that...using bosch platinum 3 node plugs too...but plan ongetting some ngk's.

You're probably burning coolant. And its probably leaking in from the valve cover gasket.

yemntftb
04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Anyone? Suggestions?